News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Making a Kentucky historical marker

Started by bandit957, January 02, 2019, 02:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

A friend told me that anyone is allowed to make and post a Kentucky historical marker - as long as they can afford to make it. According to my friend, the marker may be posted along any public right-of-way.

How much would it cost to make one? Does anyone know of any foundries or factories that make them?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

abefroman329

"Site of the first known bubbling in the Bluegrass State"

SP Cook

Actually the state, via the Kentucky Historical Society (decisions) and Transportation Cabinet (placement and upkeep) runs the program.  An application is on the Historical Society's website and outlines the process and criteria.  AFTER approval, the applicant must pay the state's vendor for making the marker.  Among the things that will not be approved are people not dead for at least 25 years; a "purely family" subject; a cemetery unless a significant KY figure is buried there, or a historical event happened there; a business unless it has true significance (the first KFC has a marker); or a church unless it is connected to a historical event, is at least 150 years old, or is on the NRHP.

The criteria and process in every other state is about he same.

US71

Quote from: bandit957 on January 02, 2019, 02:06:14 AM
A friend told me that anyone is allowed to make and post a Kentucky historical marker - as long as they can afford to make it. According to my friend, the marker may be posted along any public right-of-way.

How much would it cost to make one? Does anyone know of any foundries or factories that make them?

You might talk to Jake.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

Quote from: US71 on January 02, 2019, 10:41:07 AM
Quote from: bandit957 on January 02, 2019, 02:06:14 AM

You might talk to Jake.

Quote from: SP Cook on January 02, 2019, 10:23:19 AM
Actually the state, via the Kentucky Historical Society (decisions) and Transportation Cabinet (placement and upkeep) runs the program.  An application is on the Historical Society's website and outlines the process and criteria.  AFTER approval, the applicant must pay the state's vendor for making the marker.  Among the things that will not be approved are people not dead for at least 25 years; a "purely family" subject; a cemetery unless a significant KY figure is buried there, or a historical event happened there; a business unless it has true significance (the first KFC has a marker); or a church unless it is connected to a historical event, is at least 150 years old, or is on the NRHP.

The criteria and process in every other state is about he same.

If someone did pay a private vendor to make a marker, and then placed it on right of way without permission, it would be deemed an illegal encroachment and removed. The KHS maintains an inventory of the markers. Nearly 40 years ago I bought a book that had the locations and texts of every such marker in the state, and had pictures of most of them. I don't know where that booklet is, and it's woefully out of date, but they do keep track of those things officially. A replica marker purchased with private funds and placed on private property would not be considered to be an official marker.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on January 02, 2019, 12:29:28 PM

If someone did pay a private vendor to make a marker, and then placed it on right of way without permission, it would be deemed an illegal encroachment and removed. The KHS maintains an inventory of the markers. Nearly 40 years ago I bought a book that had the locations and texts of every such marker in the state, and had pictures of most of them. I don't know where that booklet is, and it's woefully out of date, but they do keep track of those things officially. A replica marker purchased with private funds and placed on private property would not be considered to be an official marker.

Probably the same everywhere.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

D-Dey65

Aw, man! Right now I'm picturing an online historical marker generator, similar to what kurumi used to have for fictional road signs. It could be anything from an NRHP marker, or "Your State" marker about a site you think should be preserved to "[STATE YOUR NAME] lost his/her virginity to [STATE YOUR PARTNER'S NAME] at this spot" on such and such date.

:-D :spin: :)

Bruce

Speaking of landmarking and historic preservation: some city programs have a rather low threshold for buildings and sites. Seattle's is 25 years and cultural significance to a group or neighborhood; this has been abused enough that building developers preemptively file for landmark status in hopes that it gets denied, lest a NIMBY try to stop them with one.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.