News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 35 in West Virginia

Started by hbelkins, October 20, 2013, 04:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP Cook

And the road is open in both directions, and most GPS companies seem to have fixed their issues, although the "scoreboards" still inform motorists that GPS is wrong.  There are also reports of traffic, including truck traffic, still using WV 817 northbound (it is pretty much impossible to reach in southbound right now) which is obviously the result of cell phone addiction.  Sad.

Anyway, the work at the (previous) north end continues, with about a third of a mile of northbound 35 still just not there, traffic is shifted to share the southbound lanes with a Jersey barrier, which is NBD.  This does block what will be an at grade intersection with 817, which is also NBD.  While the paving equipment is sitting there, apparently ready to go, the asphalt plants close soon, so I don't know.  It is just dirt now. 

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: SP Cook on November 19, 2021, 08:43:51 AM
And the road is open in both directions, and most GPS companies seem to have fixed their issues, although the "scoreboards" still inform motorists that GPS is wrong.  There are also reports of traffic, including truck traffic, still using WV 817 northbound (it is pretty much impossible to reach in southbound right now) which is obviously the result of cell phone addiction.  Sad.

Anyway, the work at the (previous) north end continues, with about a third of a mile of northbound 35 still just not there, traffic is shifted to share the southbound lanes with a Jersey barrier, which is NBD.  This does block what will be an at grade intersection with 817, which is also NBD.  While the paving equipment is sitting there, apparently ready to go, the asphalt plants close soon, so I don't know.  It is just dirt now.

Google Maps has it up and labeled correctly as US 35, old 35 is labeled as WV 817

rickmastfan67

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on November 19, 2021, 10:48:09 AM

Google Maps has it up and labeled correctly as US 35, old 35 is labeled as WV 817

Any yet they still don't have the 'brand new' segment of WV-817 that has been open here since at least May '18........
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8162744,-82.1125834,16.75z
https://goo.gl/maps/Sjg3kB7coVEJ1Q6A8

seicer

I have posted my latest aerial taken of the new US 35 alignment in Mason and Putnam counties: https://bit.ly/32irB9q

Some highlights:

1. US 35 near the junction of Middle 9 Mile Rd. (CR 17/3) in Mason County. This segment was completed in 2010.

2 and 3. US 35 at the former terminus near Beech Hill south of Henderson. This was built in 2010. The former four-lane connector to old US 35 is being rebuilt as a two-lane.

4. This is a view of the final segment of US 35 to be completed between Beech Hill in Mason County (finished in 2010) and Buffalo in Putnam County (finished in 2007).

5. This is a view of the US 35 bridges over Jerrys Run in Putnam County. Plantation Rd. (CR 9) is visible at left.

6-8. This is a view of US 35 at the new WV 62 interchange at Buffalo in Putnam County. Side note: I saw a lot of cars right of the fog line on the off-ramp that was once a part of the transition from the US 35 expressway to the old route. The striping hadn't been completely wiped clean near the transition to the new asphalt and I nearly made the same mistake myself!

9 and 10. This is a view of US 35 at the WV 34 interchange near Winfield in Putnam County. This was completed around 2008.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on November 20, 2021, 09:43:32 AM
Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on November 19, 2021, 10:48:09 AM

Any yet they still don't have the 'brand new' segment of WV-817 that has been open here since at least May '18........
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8162744,-82.1125834,16.75z
https://goo.gl/maps/Sjg3kB7coVEJ1Q6A8

Wow, it magically showed up in the last few days, however it's listed as 'Old US Hwy 35'.  Funny, as that's a completely new segment of highway, and never part of US-35......

SkyPesos

Interesting that WV still uses lighting under the BGS, based on supports for them in the pictures, when most states were done with them starting with sometime in the past decade.

seicer

I always found it to be an oddity considering headlights reflect signs quite well these days. It's not the same as when we had button-copy. Even better, the state has been installing new LED lights for the signs.

Bitmapped

Quote from: SkyPesos on November 23, 2021, 06:19:28 PM
Interesting that WV still uses lighting under the BGS, based on supports for them in the pictures, when most states were done with them starting with sometime in the past decade.

Standard WVDOH practice continues to be to install lights on all BGS-style overhead signage, even things like listings up upcoming exits. The only case lighting doesn't get installed is for state line signs or if there is no commercial power nearby.

WVDOH omits the mounts for lights on state line signs, but any BGS gets them even if there is currently no lighting like this newer assembly on I-79 near Morgantown: https://goo.gl/maps/yV1CCoaNocQMkVns7

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.