Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 15, 2023, 11:52:37 PM
Quote from: Rothman on February 15, 2023, 11:38:55 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 15, 2023, 11:15:32 PM
Why does Google Maps route Yuma to Dallas via Albuquerque rather than El Paso? The southern route is 79 miles shorter.
I-20 has a closure, silly man.

Any local bypass would be shorter than 79 miles.....
Sure, but whenever an obvious direct route is not chosen by Google Maps, one should check it for incidents, for that is the most likely cause of an unexpected routing.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MultiMillionMiler

I literally go by the color codes, the more green in the route, the better. Even it's a much longer route. I'd rather drive for an even longer amount of total time without traffic than in even a little traffic for a shorter amount of time.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: IowaTraveler on February 15, 2023, 09:05:38 AM
Dare I mention the section of US 6 near the Colorado/Nebraska border that still hasn't been imaged by GSV?
(It's also worth mentioning the section of US 34 near the Colorado/Nebraska border that wasn't imaged for the first time until August 2022.)

Parts of US 2 in Northeastern Montana also lacked Street View until that date. I bet that last section of US 6 will fall some time in 2023.

I also remember Western North Carolina being a hole in Street View coverage until 2016 or so.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Scott5114

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 16, 2023, 11:32:13 AM
I literally go by the color codes, the more green in the route, the better. Even it's a much longer route. I'd rather drive for an even longer amount of total time without traffic than in even a little traffic for a shorter amount of time.

This shows your inexperience with long (300+ mile) road trips. Because it takes time to cover distance, traffic conditions are likely to change (jams cleared, new jams developed in different place) by the time you reach the affected area. As such, it makes the most sense to choose your route based on clear conditions and only route around recurring bottleneck areas.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

Here is something I don't understand:

I asked Google Maps for directions to Carter—Finley Stadium (outdoor NHL game there tomorrow night). While I know where the stadium is, I wanted a traffic estimate given the rainy weather. Google Maps says the traditional I-95/I-85 route is the fastest and the amount of time is an amount I know to be roughly the norm from when I lived in Durham 25 years ago. The first alternate it gives has you exit in Richmond onto I-195, then use the Powhite Parkway and US-360 to South Boston, then US-501 south to Durham. It shows that route as a bit over an hour longer and it says, "Crashes on I-95S causing 58-min delay." How does that make any sense at all? Wouldn't the route that uses I-95 and I-85 take longer than the normal travel time if there were an hour-long delay somewhere on I-95, given that the alternate route overlaps with the most direct route between DC and Richmond? (Put differently, if the crashes on I-95 were to the south of the I-195 exit, then the I-95/I-85 route should take an hour longer than specified.)

Does Google Maps just have some weird way of explaining the delays?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

MATraveler128

What is it with Google Maps on iOS not showing Street View? Every time I try to click on a road to see GSV, it won't appear. Anyone else having this issue?
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on February 17, 2023, 02:03:13 PM
What is it with Google Maps on iOS not showing Street View? Every time I try to click on a road to see GSV, it won't appear. Anyone else having this issue?

Yes actually, but only with certain roads. I was trying to look at some in Nevada it was having trouble loading that square to click on GSV. I had a similar issue with Germany trying to view Autobahn stretches and if only worked if I clicked in a major city. I thought these were satellite based but maybe there's not enough signals reaching those areas, or they are using actual pictures and not satellites.

pianocello

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 17, 2023, 03:23:59 PM
I had a similar issue with Germany trying to view Autobahn stretches and if only worked if I clicked in a major city. I thought these were satellite based but maybe there's not enough signals reaching those areas, or they are using actual pictures and not satellites.

Just a note, that's more likely an effect of Google publishing almost no Street View footage in Germany due to privacy rules.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Scott5114

What is this, a measuring tool for ants?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

wanderer2575

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on February 17, 2023, 02:03:13 PM

I've been having this issue on my desktop PC for the past few days.  I click on a point on a route and the little box pops up as usual, but instead of the thumbnail image to click to go into Street View all I get is the gray image indicating that no SV is available.  Any ideas?

kirbykart

I've been noticing that too. I have to apply the Street View layer to actually see the Streetview.

Roadgeekteen

Is it just me or is google maps running really slow lately?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 13, 2023, 05:59:02 PM
Is it just me or is google maps running really slow lately?
It was for me earlier today.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jlam

Google Maps has designated Interstate 69 north to Interstate 465, despite not being anywhere close to Interstate standard.

vdeane

Anyone else dealing with the annoying sidebar on the left?  I used to be able to get away from it by closing and reopening incognito windows until GM would load without it, but that no longer works.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

flan

I found if you click on the 'saved' tab then it lets you collapse the whole thing, but then the search bar goes away too.

vdeane

For me, clicking "saved" brings up a sign-in prompt.  Clicking the three bars brings up a menu.  Clicking the white space does nothing.  The arrow button to the side that used to appear with previous attempts of pushing a sidebar and collapsed it doesn't appear.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

I also have that small sidebar. I have not found any way to close it.

I do not understand the concept behind it. There is nothing on it that wasn't available via the original menu button. Except now there is this giant vertical white bar.

Stupid. :pan:

LilianaUwU

Just block it with uBlock Origin or any adblocker that allows picking elements to block.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

kphoger

Technically, you can go to a specific location (click on or type an address), then collapse the whole side panel.  I realize that's not ideal, but it does hide the bar.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Stephane Dumas

Not directly linked to this thread but it's worth to mention there's a thread on Skyscraperpage talking about how out of date is your city on Google maps.
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254440

kurumi

Here's Google Maps on Firefox for the past several days. Each highway gets a distinctive pattern instead of a route marker.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

LilianaUwU

Quote from: kurumi on April 14, 2023, 09:06:14 PM
Here's Google Maps on Firefox for the past several days. Each highway gets a distinctive pattern instead of a route marker.
(weird bug)
Weird, I'm on Firefox too and it doesn't do that.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

kphoger

I see Scotland on that map.  They're probably just different tartans.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

FrCorySticha

Not seeing that here either. Might need to clear your cache if you haven't already.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.