News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Gribblenation.Org Updates

Started by CanesFan27, August 03, 2009, 10:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanesFan27

Just a handful of photos from the I-68 Sideling Hill Rest Area and of signs from PA 43 and I-79 in WV. though the I-68 shield located within PA is a nice twist.  Blog entries from the July 1-5 trip to PA are to come.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15530177@N05/sets/72157624306792327/

agentsteel53

Quote from: CanesFan27 on July 13, 2010, 11:01:07 PMthe I-68 shield located within PA is a nice twist. 

it is, and clearly made to PA specs. now if either state could please come up with a state-named shield?  I have not seen one for I-68... ever.  Not even a Maryland US 48.  I fail.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

CanesFan27

You haven't seen a state name I-68?  I did take a photo of one but didn't include it. I didn't think it turned out well enough

agentsteel53

Quote from: CanesFan27 on July 14, 2010, 07:31:08 AM
You haven't seen a state name I-68?  I did take a photo of one but didn't include it. I didn't think it turned out well enough

nope, never.  where can I find one?

jake@aaroads.com

CanesFan27

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 14, 2010, 11:26:42 AM
Quote from: CanesFan27 on July 14, 2010, 07:31:08 AM

nope, never.  where can I find one?

All throughout WV on I-68.  In fact, the WV Highway Signs group in flickr has a few examples.  I can send you the photo I took when I am home at lunch or later this evening.

As for US 48 in Maryland - good luck.  There used to be 'remnants' of US 48 shields on some of the overheads in Cumberland, but they have since been replaced.

agentsteel53

oh, I totally forgot 68 went into West Virginia.  I was referring to a Maryland I-68.

as for US-48; I think we do need a photo of a 48 shield for the MD and WV pages of the shield gallery, but I'm specifically referring to a shield that says Maryland US 48.  Maryland stopped using that sign style just a few years before US-48 was signed, and maybe they used an old blank to make a 48.  I've seen a fully embossed block-font Alabama US 98 shield, despite the fact that 98 came to Alabama in 1955 and by that time they were using flat shields with round fonts.

jake@aaroads.com

CanesFan27

On the way back from Topsail Island last weekend, I came across a newly signed US highway auxiliary route.  US 117 Connector.  THis route has recently been approved by AASHTO and signed by NCDOT.  It's the first time I have seen a 'CONNECTOR' banner route.

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2010/07/us-117-connector-north.html

Where else do they have Connector routes signed?  I believe Georgia has some...but I don't believe they actually have banners that read 'CONNECTOR'

agentsteel53

wow, that is indeed a CONNECTOR banner.

Georgia's connector routes have CONN inside the shield.  Lucky they use the state outline for their shields or else there'd be confusion ;)

I believe that GA's connectors are only state routes - no US routes.

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

NJ used to use Link routes before 1953.  24-28 Link and 28-29 Link became pieces of US 22, and there's another skipping my mind.

TheStranger

IIRC, there is/was a US 191Y somewhere in Arizona which essentially serves a "connector" type purpose, though I don't know if the suffix is at all used on signage.
Chris Sampang

Alps

Quote from: TheStranger on July 15, 2010, 12:26:52 AM
IIRC, there is/was a US 191Y somewhere in Arizona which essentially serves a "connector" type purpose, though I don't know if the suffix is at all used on signage.
Virginia does use the Y - www.alpsroads.net/roads/va/va_132/132y.jpg

CanesFan27

CanesFan27

Running errands today - I snapped two rather older signs for North Carolina standards

A decently older JCT I-85 North Carolina, US 15, US 70 shield combination.  The JCT banner has a '.' after the T.  First, I have seen that in NC.  And I also took a photo of the only known metric sign in North Carolina - which is on the Durham Freeway.

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2010/07/sign-finds-in-durham.html

NC 147, aka the Durham Freeway, is undergoing a signage upgrade, and I wanted to get the metric sign in case it finds itself on the chopping block.  (It has survived quite a few.)

CanesFan27

On the way back from PA today, came across these aging I-77/81 VA shields in Wytheville:

link blocked... please do not geotag the photos to make it easy for everyone to steal the signs

bugo

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 14, 2010, 11:41:36 PM
I believe that GA's connectors are only state routes - no US routes.

The connectors along US routes use the concurrent state route numbers.

bugo

Quote from: AlpsROADS on July 15, 2010, 12:31:15 AM
Quote from: TheStranger on July 15, 2010, 12:26:52 AM
Virginia does use the Y - www.alpsroads.net/roads/va/va_132/132y.jpg

So does Arkansas, although it's rarely signed:

Ian

Excuse me for being ignorant, but what does the "Y" stand for  :confused:
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

agentsteel53

Quote from: PennDOTFan on July 25, 2010, 10:15:19 PM
Excuse me for being ignorant, but what does the "Y" stand for  :confused:

doesn't stand for anything, it is the shape of the letter that gives it meaning ... "Y" implies a fork - as in one road comes in, two roads go out.  Just like what a letter "Y" looks like!

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 25, 2010, 10:19:11 PM
Quote from: PennDOTFan on July 25, 2010, 10:15:19 PM
Excuse me for being ignorant, but what does the "Y" stand for  :confused:

doesn't stand for anything, it is the shape of the letter that gives it meaning ... "Y" implies a fork - as in one road comes in, two roads go out.  Just like what a letter "Y" looks like!

Aah ok, I see now.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

US71

Quote from: bugo on July 25, 2010, 09:53:45 PM

So does Arkansas, although it's rarely signed:

There's a 412 Y in Springdale that isn't signed.  I think also in Paragould?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

CanesFan27

Quote from: CanesFan27 on July 25, 2010, 09:31:01 PM
On the way back from PA today, came across these aging I-77/81 VA shields in Wytheville:

link blocked... please do not geotag the photos to make it easy for everyone to steal the signs

In all honesty, aren't ya'll being just a bit paranoid?  DOT may replace, someone may call the DOT to buy the sign, someone may steal it.  Or just maybe one of you all, or others that aren't part of the hobby, will go and take a photo for themself when through the area because of the geotag.

It's a risk I'm willing to take, and have for some time, but I digress.

agentsteel53

Quote from: CanesFan27 on July 25, 2010, 11:07:32 PM
Or just maybe one of you all, or others that aren't part of the hobby, will go and take a photo for themself when through the area because of the geotag.

if they aren't part of the hobby, what is the point of them taking a picture?

jake@aaroads.com

CanesFan27

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 25, 2010, 11:30:11 PM
Quote from: CanesFan27 on July 25, 2010, 11:07:32 PM
Or just maybe one of you all, or others that aren't part of the hobby, will go and take a photo for themself when through the area because of the geotag.

if they aren't part of the hobby, what is the point of them taking a picture?

Why not?  People take photos of things for all sorts of reasons.  And there are people who are into road signs on flickr that aren't part of this forum or any other hobby forum for that matter.

You may not like it being geotagged, and that's your opinion, and I can respect that.  There are different views to so many parts of this hobby.  But to tell people not to geotag a photo and to then remove the link to that photo for reasons that are in all honesty very slim to happen is more than just a little bit of overreaction in my view.

agentsteel53

Quote from: CanesFan27 on July 25, 2010, 11:45:53 PM

Why not?  People take photos of things for all sorts of reasons.  And there are people who are into road signs on flickr that aren't part of this forum or any other hobby forum for that matter.

You may not like it being geotagged, and that's your opinion, and I can respect that.  There are different views to so many parts of this hobby.  But to tell people not to geotag a photo and to then remove the link to that photo for reasons that are in all honesty very slim to happen is more than just a little bit of overreaction in my view.

I understand where you are coming from, but the rules of this forum are to not allow exact positional identification of any old sign - therefore I did remove the coordinates of that shield that you posted.

if you want to post the location on Flickr, go right ahead.  Nothing I can do to stop that!

jake@aaroads.com

CanesFan27

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 25, 2010, 11:52:01 PM
Quote from: CanesFan27 on July 25, 2010, 11:45:53 PM

I understand where you are coming from, but the rules of this forum are to not allow exact positional identification of any old sign - therefore I did remove the coordinates of that shield that you posted.

Is that in fact true? Where is that in the forum rules because I never knew of it! 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.