News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate Openings Map?

Started by CtrlAltDel, September 13, 2015, 06:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

sprjus4

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on October 20, 2019, 09:16:51 PM
Eureka!

This web site has pretty much exactly what I was looking for, to the year. At the beginning, there's a little spiel showing some of the key dates and other information about the Interstate system, but at the end is a map with a slider that will show you which segments were open at that time.

Neat, but definitely some errors if you're looking for specifics. A few notable ones in my neck of the woods, I-64 is shown complete between Richmond and Norfolk in the late 60s when in reality it was completed until the late 70s, I-95 isn't shown being built until the mid 80s between Richmond and DC when in reality it was completed in the 60s, and I-40 between I-85 and Wilmington is shown as being completed in the 60s when in reality it wasn't finished until the early 90s, and more interestingly the routing to Wilmington wasn't even approved until the 70s.

Earlier this year, I created a thread with interactive maps to so far 5 different states (Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Delaware, and Maryland / DC) where opening dates for every segment of interstate highway is documented along with many non-interstate freeway opening dates. I'm currently working on a map with Indiana freeway openings, and plan to do a few more over the next couple of months.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: 1 on October 20, 2019, 09:39:52 PM
There are some inaccuracies in that map; it doesn't distinguish between different segments of the same route in the same state, e.g. I-69 in Indiana.

Yeah, there's quite a few. My "Eureka" may have been unwarranted.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

planxtymcgillicuddy

Quote from: 1 on October 20, 2019, 09:39:52 PM
There are some inaccuracies in that map; it doesn't distinguish between different segments of the same route in the same state, e.g. I-69 in Indiana.

And it's missing almost the entire route of I-26
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

J N Winkler

Quote from: 1 on October 20, 2019, 09:39:52 PMThere are some inaccuracies in that map; it doesn't distinguish between different segments of the same route in the same state, e.g. I-69 in Indiana.

I am not seeing a consistent pattern to the errors.  For example, it shows the entirety of I-70 in Kansas open in 1956:  in fact the Turnpike segment was open, as well as the short segment just west of Topeka that anchors Kansas' "first Interstate" claim, but it took until 1970 to finish the rest.  Meanwhile, well over 90% of I-235's mileage in Wichita opened in 1961; no part of it is shown until 1965, when the short segment between Broadway and I-135 opened.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kurumi

TIL the Mass Pike opened in 1990
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

GaryV

Michigan is weird too.  It shows I-75 complete in 1959, when signs first went up on the few open segments.  The Bay City to Grayling section didn't open until 1973.

In contrast, I-94 is ignored until 1971.  That's when the final mile or so was opened when Indiana completed their work.  But the rest of the highway was complete in 1967.

I-69 doesn't appear until 1997; it was complete in 1992 and the section south of I-94 was opened in 1967.

It seems like some data on the map comes when segments of the Interstate open; other times it waits until the whole state is complete.  And sometimes like I-69, the reason for the date is incomprehensible.

SP Cook

Totally inaccurate re: WV.  Shows the western section of I-64, among the oldest in the state, with parts open by 1963, as unfinished until 1991.  It shows the other end of 64 ending at the Virginia line until that time as well, when it actually was finished 20 miles west of that by 1974.  It shows 79 finished all at once, in 1980, when it was actually built north to south over about 15 years. 

It also shows I-64 as almost complete in Kentucky in 1957.  IIRC, 64, at least the part between WV and Lexington, was built in the late 60s and early 70s.

hbelkins

Quote from: SP Cook on October 22, 2019, 10:07:01 AM
It also shows I-64 as almost complete in Kentucky in 1957.  IIRC, 64, at least the part between WV and Lexington, was built in the late 60s and early 70s.

Last section finished between the state line and Lexington was from the US 60 exit near the Boyd-Carter line to KY 1/KY 7 at Grayson. On our family trips to West Virginia to visit my dad's relatives on his dad's side, we would have to take US 60 from Grayson instead of being able to get on I-64 there.

The section between Frankfort and Lexington was completed in 1971. I was on it shortly after it opened in my mom's new 1971 Dodge Dart.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

tolbs17

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on October 20, 2019, 09:16:51 PM
Eureka!

This web site has pretty much exactly what I was looking for, to the year. At the beginning, there's a little spiel showing some of the key dates and other information about the Interstate system, but at the end is a map with a slider that will show you which segments were open at that time.

As of right now, it's not working at all.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.