News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

1968 Transportation Plan for Memphis

Started by Revive 755, February 01, 2010, 04:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=117499567522166489363.00047e82f9cd835512fb9&ll=35.161459,-89.726715&spn=0.780275,1.234589&z=10

The parkways were apparently supposed to be expressway grade routes with parkland on one or both sides.

The map has Memphis developing a grid-like arterial system, with many of them apparently not being built.  In addition, several streets around Memphis seem to have changed names or were not correctly labeled on the map.

TheStranger

I find it interesting that two of today's currently under-construction routes (I-69, I-269) correspond directly with the 1968 plan in some form or another...

How does the Lamar Avenue proposal compare to today's planning for I-22?
Chris Sampang

froggie

Again, would like to see the raw maps for these posted somewhere.  Even if it's on Flickr/Photobucket/Picasa/etc etc.

The Lamar Ave proposal is effectively today's Lamar Ave, except that the interchanges at Winchester, Shelby, and Holmes never got built.  It really doesn't compare to I-22 planning.

Revive 755

To at least prove I'm not making this up, I'll post this low quality digital photo of a section.  The green lines are railroads.

lamsalfl

Did it occur to anyone that Googlemaps now labels I-269?!

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: lamsalfl on February 03, 2010, 04:04:29 AM

I noticed this yesterday and was like huh?

Alex

Quote from: lamsalfl on February 03, 2010, 04:04:29 AM

It was mentioned in another thread last fall, but it appears the original post about it was deleted.

froggie

QuoteTo at least prove I'm not making this up, I'll post this low quality digital photo of a section.  The green lines are railroads.

I know you're not making it up.  I'd just like to see the raw maps...

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: froggie on February 03, 2010, 10:38:20 AM
QuoteTo at least prove I'm not making this up, I'll post this low quality digital photo of a section.  The green lines are railroads.

I know you're not making it up.  I'd just like to see the raw maps...

I'd share mine, but I have no idea what my mother did with my Memphis planning map collection after I moved out...except for the faded "Memphis 2000" map still hanging on the wall of my former bedroom.

mgk920

Also, those are interesting ghost ramps at the southeast 'corner' of TN 385 (visible in the high-res aerial images of the area).

:nod:

Mike

TheStranger

Quote from: mgk920 on February 03, 2010, 11:11:17 PM
Also, those are interesting ghost ramps at the southeast 'corner' of TN 385 (visible in the high-res aerial images of the area).

:nod:

Mike

I'm pretty sure those are for the future mainline of I-269 heading into Mississippi.
Chris Sampang

froggie

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.