News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Driving down the CA-1

Started by F350, April 20, 2010, 07:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F350

I'm flying to San Jose this Saturday to pick up a vehicle. I'll be driving it back home in DC.

I'll be picking the vehicle up right by CA-1, so I'd like to drive that famous route down to LA then to San Diego. I figure I should get out of CA-1 somewhere in San Diego in order to drive east to Arizona, New Mexico, and beyond.

I'd like to know what's the best time to drive down, conditions, closings, etc. and looking at maps, it appears the CA-1 is just another roads in some towns with heavy traffic. Can those be avoided?

TIA.

agentsteel53

Avoid San Diego and the I-8 corridor (and then I-10 from I-8 to I-20) unless you want to get very acquainted with the US Border Patrol.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

KEK Inc.

CA-1 ends just south of Irvine.  Frankly, it's all urban south of Malibu, CA, so you could take I-10 to I-15 to I-70.  The San Rafeal Reef in Utah and the Glenwood Canyon in Colorado are nice stretches of Interstate. 
Take the road less traveled.

myosh_tino

Not sure what your definition of "right by" is but to get to CA-1 from San Jose, but it's about a 30 mile drive south on CA-17 over the Santa Cruz Mountains to Santa Cruz to join up with CA-1.

I would suggest taking CA-1 south and then merge into Interstate 10 in Santa Monica to begin your eastward journey.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

agentsteel53

Quote from: KEK Inc. on April 20, 2010, 11:54:51 PM
CA-1 ends just south of Irvine.  Frankly, it's all urban south of Malibu, CA, so you could take I-10 to I-15 to I-70.  The San Rafeal Reef in Utah and the Glenwood Canyon in Colorado are nice stretches of Interstate.  

that is a great drive!  

I-15 from San Bernardino to I-70 in Cove Fort, UT is a wonderful drive, especially over Mountain Pass in California, the Virgin River Gorge in AZ (must see it through the canyon along the river) and in the St. George area of Utah, and then I-70 as mentioned is worth seeing, as is the road further east through Glenwood Canyon in western Colorado. *

(with I-15 in Virgin River Gorge and I-70 in Glenwood Canyon you'll get to see two of the most impressive rural engineering feats on the interstate system.)

You'd then have to decide how to make it all the way east, and I-70 all the way is not a bad suggestion at all - you may even be able to clinch the road.  Across the midwest (eastern Colo to about the Appalachians in WV) I-70 isn't too exciting but neither are the other transcontinental options.

if you wanted to take a two-laner for a while, US-40 is close to the freeway all the way to western Pennsylvania, so you can switch between the two easily as you decide to catch small towns vs. making up time.

*is this road open yet?  There was a rockslide a couple months ago.

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

if you're looking for a more southwestern alternative to I-15 and I-70, try US-60, which splits off from I-10 in Phoenix.  I-10 through the California and Arizona low deserts is well worth seeing, and then US-60 goes through Salt River Gorge (must-see bridge and scenery) and climbs to over 7000 feet.  If you take Arizona 260, which is an alternate loop to US-60, I believe you crest even higher.

From Arizona US 60, you can get to New Mexico US 60, and then as you get to Amarillo, you can jump on old US-66, or head a bit further east on 60 to get to US-62.  Both of the roads turn northeast in short order and you can take them up to I-70/US-40 as previously mentioned.  

jake@aaroads.com

F350

Here's the route, guys. I'd like your input, opinions, et cetera. I'm a bit concerned with I-10; from Santa Monica to all the way to San Bernadino. How bad does the traffic get? I can't stand traffic, especially on vacations.

Looks like there will be plenty of sightseeing and recreation. Nice.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=36.986923,-122.030125&daddr=CA-1+S%2FCabrillo+Hwy+to:E+Ocean+Ave+to:CA-1+S%2FPacific+Coast+Hwy+to:I-10+E&geocode=%3BFbT-JwIdqBi_-A%3BFSCMEAId9jnS-A%3BFcp8BwIdjDLp-A%3BFbIrBwIdhEzw-A&gl=us&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=15&via=1,2,3&sll=36.981472,-122.019482&sspn=0.023895,0.036306&ie=UTF8&ll=34.016206,-118.499737&spn=0.024793,0.052657&z=15

F350

As for the rest of the trip, it's a really tough call. There are many options.

I originally wanted to drive on I-40 then I-81 because I want to stay southwestern then change directions in Texas.

With agentsteel's new suggestion, I've got yet another route to study.

I just saw I-70 ends in BFE, Utah on Google Maps! I thought I-70 ends in CA this whole time.

Bickendan

Driving on ANY LA area freeway's a crapshoot because they're just busy freeways 24/7. I suggest you get yourself an LA County and a San Bernardino/Riverside Counties Thomas Guide. Familiarize yourself with the freeway system. Then, when you're in the area, set your radio to the traffic alert station and lookup the alternate routes as quickly (and safely, duh) as possible.

I will say this, though: CA 134/I-210/CA 210 will probably move better as a whole than I-10 will. CA 60 might be a better choice if you end up on I-10 in Santa Monica, because moving north to get to CA 134 or I-210 from I-10 will take too much effort.

If you're staying on CA 1 to I-10, just take it straight to CA 60 then head east from there. Otherwise, I'd probably bail from CA 1 at CA 27 and head north back to US 101, then east to CA 134. But, you'll need to largely play LA by ear.

TheStranger

Quote from: Bickendan on April 21, 2010, 03:31:14 PM
I will say this, though: CA 134/I-210/CA 210 will probably move better as a whole than I-10 will. CA 60 might be a better choice if you end up on I-10 in Santa Monica, because moving north to get to CA 134 or I-210 from I-10 will take too much effort.

If you're staying on CA 1 to I-10, just take it straight to CA 60 then head east from there. Otherwise, I'd probably bail from CA 1 at CA 27 and head north back to US 101, then east to CA 134. But, you'll need to largely play LA by ear.

One idea I thought of: if you want to cut over to 210 but see downtown LA, you could do 10-110-5-2-134...
Chris Sampang

KEK Inc.

corco

QuoteThis is my recommendation.  Everything east of Colorado is just a direct route.  I don't think there really is much scenery in the midwest.  There are some mountains in Oklahoma and the Southern Appalachians are nice.  

Assuming time isn't a pressing issue, I highly recommend one takes a non-interstate route across Kansas or Nebraska at least once in their life. The experience of the state is entirely different and they become much, much more interesting. I've done US-36 across Kansas and can attest that that is sufficiently fun, but that's a little more out of the way. Kansas is good too because the speed limit is 65 off freeway (compared to 70 on freeway) (Nebraska being 60/75, which makes it harder to stay off the freeway), so you're really adding an extra hour, hour and a half at maximum (even factoring in slows for towns).

I'm sure US-24 is pretty worthwhile too, and if you do that you'll automatically rejoin I-70 on each end of the state.

If it were me I'd take 70 to US-36 at Byers, Colorado and then follow 36 all the way to I-72, and then go from there (NOTE: 36 is really really boring from Byers to about Atwood, so you'll immediately regret your decision- but the rest of the trek is worth it- fortunately there is almost no traffic along that stretch of road so it moves really quickly- set cruise at 70, tape the wheel to your knees, and fall asleep). 36 is expressway across most of Missouri, so it moves quite well, and I-70 is pretty awful for cross-Missouri traveling. That route is also 27 miles shorter, too and you don't have to  hassle with KC or St Louis traffic, so at least half an hour of that time spent driving slower is offset by the shorter route/avoidance of the big cities.

Google pegs the 36 route as being one hour longer. At that rate it is absolutely worth it, unless that hour is really really important to you.  

KEK Inc.

Oh, @agentsteel, I noticed that Google Maps actually updates the map according to road closures.  They provided a detour route around the canyon and the freeway in the map is discolored.  The same goes for I-40 in West North Carolina.  

And I would take corco's word for the midwest.  I honestly don't know much about routes in the Midwest to make a safe judgment on which way you should take.

agentsteel53

Quote from: F350 on April 21, 2010, 02:35:34 PM
How bad does the traffic get? I can't stand traffic, especially on vacations.

CA-1 will be your primary source of traffic.  The road is clogged by RVs in the daytime in the summer, with very few opportunities to pass.

10 tends to clear out around the 86 split (old US-99) in Indio, and then gets bad again if you hit Phoenix wrong.

jake@aaroads.com

mapman

Quote from: F350 on April 20, 2010, 07:25:46 PM
I'd like to know what's the best time to drive down, conditions, closings, etc. and looking at maps, it appears the CA-1 is just another roads in some towns with heavy traffic. Can those be avoided?

The initial part of your route (CA 17 to Santa Cruz, CA 1 from Santa Cruz to south of Monterey) could have you driving during the peak commute hours.  If you can, avoid traveling CA 17 south and CA 1 south in the Santa Cruz area during the late afternoon.  CA 1 south near Monterey would be busiest during the morning.  Weekends can also be busy on both highways.

Note: Avoid CA 1 south of Carmel this Sunday -- the highway will be closed all morning and some of the afternoon for the Big Sur Marathon.

national highway 1

I'd say take CA 1 then 101 through Ventura, 134 & 210
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Scott5114

Keep in mind, if you're a roadgeek, you may well enjoy KS I-70 anyway. I can't vouch for I-70 in particular, but I've found from I-35 and I-135 (and the Kansas City-area 3dis) that Kansas interstates are either top-notch quality or in the process of reconstruction to be so. The signage is well done, the engineering is excellent, and the curves are banked just right.

If clinching I-70 and seeing Breezewood isn't something that appeals to you, you might be interested in investigating a way to connect with I-68 through WV and MD. This allows you to bypass the Pennsylvania Turnpike (and PA itself!) and Breezewood, while still providing great scenery and a trip through the Sideling Hill cut.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

Quote from: corco on April 21, 2010, 04:25:55 PMAssuming time isn't a pressing issue, I highly recommend one takes a non-interstate route across Kansas or Nebraska at least once in their life. The experience of the state is entirely different and they become much, much more interesting. I've done US-36 across Kansas and can attest that that is sufficiently fun, but that's a little more out of the way. Kansas is good too because the speed limit is 65 off freeway (compared to 70 on freeway) (Nebraska being 60/75, which makes it harder to stay off the freeway), so you're really adding an extra hour, hour and a half at maximum (even factoring in slows for towns).

I would second this recommendation--US 24, US 36, K-18, and K-9 are all interesting drives.  (I have also taken US 54, US 56, K-156, US 50, and K-96 but would not rate them very highly for visual interest.)  I have not done US 36 in far western Kansas, but the Arikaree Breaks are said to be scenic.

In regard to Scott's suggestion of I-70, it does not become scenic until you reach the Smoky Hill River basin.  It passes through very flat country in far western Kansas, though it is the most convenient through route if you want to see Castle Rock (K-23 corridor) or the Chalk Pyramids (US 83 corridor).  The most interesting parts of I-70 pass through the Flint Hills, which begin at Abilene and end essentially at Topeka.  To my mind US 24 is not that interesting between Manhattan and Topeka because it is essentially a river valley route, so I would recommend K-177 and I-70 instead.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

F350

Quote from: Bickendan on April 21, 2010, 03:31:14 PM
Driving on ANY LA area freeway's a crapshoot because they're just busy freeways 24/7. I suggest you get yourself an LA County and a San Bernardino/Riverside Counties Thomas Guide. Familiarize yourself with the freeway system. Then, when you're in the area, set your radio to the traffic alert station and lookup the alternate routes as quickly (and safely, duh) as possible.
True enough. I'll play it by ear and pick the less congested route when the time comes.

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate this wonderfully detailed suggestion. I'm printing this one out. Two thumbs up.

F350

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 21, 2010, 10:57:46 PM
CA-1 will be your primary source of traffic.  The road is clogged by RVs in the daytime in the summer, with very few opportunities to pass.

10 tends to clear out around the 86 split (old US-99) in Indio, and then gets bad again if you hit Phoenix wrong.
Gotcha. It's gonna happen next week, so it won't be as bad as July? Don't mind the RVs. I want to take pics so I'll drive a bit slower...those RVs can boost my mileage!

njroadhorse

If you want an interesting ride in West Virginia and don't feel like taking 70, try US 250 from I-70 in Wheeling.  It follows the Ohio for a short while, then cuts across some of the mountains near the PA border.  IIRC, it ties into either I-79 or I-68 near Morgantown, so then you can continue east towards DC.

EDIT: Nevermind, US 250 does not reach Morgantown, but intersects I-79 in Fairmont, just south of there.  You can then take I-79 up to I-68 and THEN head east.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

hm insulators

Quote from: F350 on April 21, 2010, 02:35:34 PM
Here's the route, guys. I'd like your input, opinions, et cetera. I'm a bit concerned with I-10; from Santa Monica to all the way to San Bernadino. How bad does the traffic get? I can't stand traffic, especially on vacations.

Horrendous! Nasty! Horrible! Terrible! Awful! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Unfortunately, if you drive any time at all in the Los Angeles area, you're going to run into traffic snarls; there's really no two ways about it. There are some sections of freeway where the traffic is jammed from 6AM all the way to 8PM--yes, PM! It doesn't ease up!

If you can, try to hit the L.A. area early on a Saturday or especially Sunday morning. That's one of the few times the freeways in that area are relatively traffic-free.

And keep a car radio button on KNX-1070 AM. That's the all-news station in Los Angeles that usually has frequent traffic reports.

One suggestion: Instead of going through Malibu and Santa Monica, consider this, especially in the non-rush-hour: When you hit Ventura, stay on US 101, then at Thousand Oaks, turn north on California 23 Freeway. After about ten miles, this freeway elbows east to become California 118 through Simi Valley and San Fernando Valley. The 118 Freeway eventually dead-ends at I-210. Follow I-210 east through Pasadena (unless it's the afternoon rush hour, the 210 is usually a little better-behaved), then in Glendora, if you wish to use I-10, you can drop south on California 57 for a few miles, or (better yet) stay on what changes to California 210 through San Bernardino; it will eventually bend south to meet I-10 in Redlands.

Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

TheStranger

Quote from: hm insulators on April 27, 2010, 03:46:31 PM

One suggestion: Instead of going through Malibu and Santa Monica, consider this, especially in the non-rush-hour: When you hit Ventura, stay on US 101, then at Thousand Oaks, turn north on California 23 Freeway. After about ten miles, this freeway elbows east to become California 118 through Simi Valley and San Fernando Valley. The 118 Freeway eventually dead-ends at I-210. Follow I-210 east through Pasadena (unless it's the afternoon rush hour, the 210 is usually a little better-behaved), then in Glendora, if you wish to use I-10, you can drop south on California 57 for a few miles, or (better yet) stay on what changes to California 210 through San Bernardino; it will eventually bend south to meet I-10 in Redlands.

Is taking the 134 directly east to 210 from 101 a better option at times than going up 23 to 118 to get to 210 east?
Chris Sampang

KEK Inc.

Quote from: TheStranger on April 27, 2010, 04:49:07 PM
Quote from: hm insulators on April 27, 2010, 03:46:31 PM

Is taking the 134 directly east to 210 from 101 a better option at times than going up 23 to 118 to get to 210 east?
CA-134 runs through the central part of the San Fernando Valley, so logically, it would have more traffic than CA-118, which skirts the northern edge of the valley.  I've never driven on CA-23 beyond Simi Valley (when it turns into CA-118), and I've never been on CA-118 for more than 3 miles on its Eastern edge, and this was about 10 years ago. 

rschen7754

I-405 between US 101 and I-10 is notorious for traffic problems. :|

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.