Left lane blockers becoming standard on our highways

Started by Crash_It, June 27, 2021, 04:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crash_It

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 11, 2021, 06:38:13 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on July 11, 2021, 05:51:33 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 08, 2021, 10:11:51 PM
Quote from: achilles765 on July 08, 2021, 10:08:18 PM
I have never understood why it really matters which lane someone is in as long as they aren't driving too slowly.  I almost exclusively drive in the left lane but then again I am also usually driving about 5-10 miles over the speed limit.  I switch to the right lane only if there is not a lot of traffic ahead of me or someone is coming up behind me on the left and they are driving faster than I seem to be. 
When there's three or more lanes, I almost always stay in the center unless Im nearing an exit.

The OP has to be dramatic about a non-issue per usual.

Driver, often with a weak car or not a resident of the state where it occurs in is slow in the left lane...blocking anyone who wants to pass and get where they need to with minimal delay. There are numerous laws against this, how is this a non-issue?

Your whole brand is about sensationalizing the mostly minor subpar habits of every driver except yourself.  Why should any of us care what a subpar driver like yourself has to say when they are in active denial of their own bad driving habits and come with a Jerry Springer-like presentation?

Driving under the limit in the left lane for no reason at all is extremely poor driving.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Crash_It on July 11, 2021, 06:39:23 PM
I have never understood why it really matters which lane someone is in as long as they aren't driving too slowly.  I almost exclusively drive in the left lane but then again I am also usually driving about 5-10 miles over the speed limit.  I switch to the right lane only if there is not a lot of traffic ahead of me or someone is coming up behind me on the left and they are driving faster than I seem to be. 
When there's three or more lanes, I almost always stay in the center unless Im nearing an exit.

Driver, often with a weak car or not a resident of the state where it occurs in is slow in the left lane...blocking anyone who wants to pass and get where they need to with minimal delay. There are numerous laws against this, how is this a non-issue?

Your whole brand is about sensationalizing the mostly minor subpar habits of every driver except yourself.  Why should any of us care what a subpar driver like yourself has to say when they are in active denial of their own bad driving habits and come with a Jerry Springer-like presentation?

Driving under the limit in the left lane for no reason at all is extremely poor driving.

Don't you have some normal driving scenarios to be dramatic about and honk your horn at for an excessively long time?

Crash_It

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 11, 2021, 06:43:01 PM

Don't you have some normal driving scenarios to be dramatic about and honk your horn at for an excessively long time?
I bet you're one of those drivers that get mad over being honked at then either will honk back or drive slow afterwards.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Crash_It on July 11, 2021, 07:00:05 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 11, 2021, 06:43:01 PM

I bet you're one of those drivers that get mad over being honked at then either will honk back or drive slow afterwards.

Not really, I don't have the road rage issues you display.   But if you're curious my body of work can be found below in my signature.  I don't think you would be interested though, I don't tend to feature drives around mundane neighborhood streets.   

Flint1979

Show me a state that enforces it.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 12, 2021, 02:39:31 PM

Indiana will enforce it on rural freeways, but the two examples above, a surface street and an urban freeway, are not places it gets enforced. They're actually poor examples, that only someone desperate for attention would use.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Max Rockatansky

Notably as a former Michigan resident I can say that there was all sorts of signage on a lot of major freeways (I-96 between Lansing and Novi especially) telling drivers to use the left lane only to pass.  I cannot recall a single instance where I heard of a MSP Officer actually bothering to ticket someone for camping in the left lane.  I'm sure it has happened but I would certainly think that it was pretty low of a priory if one at all for enforcement.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Crash_It on June 27, 2021, 04:26:16 PM
As shown by two of my most recent videos, it seems to become common for someone to block the left lane and not allow anyone else in front of them no matter what:

https://youtu.be/UVpkWGhT9sc

and...

https://youtu.be/fPDyV2zQLJo

I argue that once the speed limit has been reached then this should no longer be a crime.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 12, 2021, 02:52:34 PM
As shown by two of my most recent videos, it seems to become common for someone to block the left lane and not allow anyone else in front of them no matter what:

and...

I argue that once the speed limit has been reached then this should no longer be a crime.

But there would be no fake drama then!

jeffandnicole

and...

Each law is separate and distinct.  Driving the speed limit doesn't allow one to drink a beer, or run a stop sign.  Just because one is driving the speed limit doesn't give them the right to ignore other laws.

kphoger

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 12, 2021, 02:47:26 PM

Indiana will enforce it on rural freeways, but the two examples above, a surface street and an urban freeway, are not places it gets enforced. They're actually poor examples, that only someone desperate for attention would use.

Heck, Kansas' KRETP law only applies specifically to highways "located outside the corporate limits of any city".  It's almost like the lawmakers knew something Cra_shIt doesn't...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 12, 2021, 02:57:06 PM

and...

Each law is separate and distinct.  Driving the speed limit doesn't allow one to drink a beer, or run a stop sign.  Just because one is driving the speed limit doesn't give them the right to ignore other laws.

Incorrect.  I should have elaborated.  If one is passing another then they in fact cannot exceed the speed limit.  Therefore once the speed limit is reached then the left lane hog law should and could not possibly apply.  If it is a fact that one is passing someone but to the limit then they cannot relieve the "hogging" by exceeding the speed limit.

Flint1979

In Michigan you'll generally be tailgated if you're doing anything under 80 in the left lane and even at 80 you'll still be tailgated.

It makes all those left lane entrances and exits problematic.

kphoger

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 12, 2021, 03:26:01 PM
Incorrect.  I should have elaborated.  If one is passing another then they in fact cannot exceed the speed limit.  Therefore once the speed limit is reached then the left lane hog law should and could not possibly apply.  If it is a fact that one is passing someone but to the limit then they cannot relieve the "hogging" by exceeding the speed limit.

That's not true.

If the speed limit is 65 mph, and you're in the left lane going 62 mph but nobody is behind you, then you're breaking neither the speed limit law nor the KRETP law.

If the speed limit is 65 mph, and you're in the left lane going 62 mph and someone is behind you waiting to pass, but you refuse to get over, then you're breaking the KRETP law but not breaking the speed limit law.

If the speed limit is 65 mph, and you're in the left lane going 73 mph but nobody is behind you, then you are breaking the speed limit law but not breaking the KRETP law.

If the speed limit is 65 mph, and you're in the left lane going 73 mph and someone is behind you waiting to pass, then you are breaking both the speed limit law and also the KRETP law.

Just read the KRETP law.  In the states whose KRETP laws I'm familiar with, none of them say anything about the speed limit.  None of them say anything like "the above shall not apply at speeds less than the posted maximum" or whatever.  Your assumption just isn't true.  (Maybe it is true in your state, but I doubt it.)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

Very true.  One shouldn't be exceeding the speed limit while passing.

But if you're actively passing someone, then that means you're going faster than they are, and once you have passed that person, then merge over.

If the other person sped up, and now you are both going the speed limit side-by-side, that's bad form.  One or the other should speed up or slow down. 

If you both sit there side-by-side, you're both just being a dick to all the traffic behind you.  Someone should swallow their pride, and speed up or slow down, allowing the vehicle in the left lane merge back to the right lane.

Flint1979

Quote from: kphoger on July 12, 2021, 04:23:35 PM

That's not true.

If the speed limit is 65 mph, and you're in the left lane going 62 mph but nobody is behind you, then you're breaking neither the speed limit law nor the KRETP law.

If the speed limit is 65 mph, and you're in the left lane going 62 mph and someone is behind you waiting to pass, but you refuse to get over, then you're breaking the KRETP law but not breaking the speed limit law.

If the speed limit is 65 mph, and you're in the left lane going 73 mph but nobody is behind you, then you are breaking the speed limit law but not breaking the KRETP law.

If the speed limit is 65 mph, and you're in the left lane going 73 mph and someone is behind you waiting to pass, then you are breaking both the speed limit law and also the KRETP law.

Just read the KRETP law.  In the states whose KRETP laws I'm familiar with, none of them say anything about the speed limit.  None of them say anything like "the above shall not apply at speeds less than the posted maximum" or whatever.  Your assumption just isn't true.  (Maybe it is true in your state, but I doubt it.)
I think his assumption is based on how people normally drive and now what the law is.

Crash_It

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 12, 2021, 02:55:57 PM

and...

But there would be no fake drama then!

I drive the speed limit, my issue is with drivers that are going under the speed limit where they shouldn't be.

Crash_It

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 12, 2021, 02:47:26 PM

You didn't watch all of the videos then, there's two examples in one of the videos while the other is a lone example.

seicer

No one is going to watch your videos of you being overly aggressively honking and flashing your lights at drivers at traffic lights (who just hadn't started out from a red light) or aggressively speeding through construction zones or you being overly aggressively at transit drivers (which may have had the right-of-way).

Rothman

Quote from: seicer on July 12, 2021, 06:12:12 PM
No one is going to watch your videos of you being overly aggressively honking and flashing your lights at drivers at traffic lights (who just hadn't started out from a red light) or aggressively speeding through construction zones or you being overly aggressively at transit drivers (which may have had the right-of-way).
I suspect some people on here still do.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on July 12, 2021, 06:12:49 PM
I suspect some people on here still do.

I suspect a lot of users here just use the videos as a jumping off point about real world traffic problems and traffic laws. 

seicer

If anything, these are great videos for anyone who has been impacted by this aggressive driver if he/she ever gets into an accident. I never understand why people want to record activities that can be used against them, especially if the activities that are being performed are questionable at best.

hbelkins

If you are driving 60 mph in the left lane, passing a car in the right lane that's doing 55 mph, in a 65 mph speed limit zone, you are doing nothing wrong, even if a car that's doing 65 or greater pulls up behind you. You have every right to complete your pass at your current speed without having to speed up.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Crash_It

He was still braking even seconds after the light went green. That's a lack of paying attention, no one was speeding through a construction zone. That was a "when lights are flashing" construction zone..which wasn't the case at that time.

Crash_It

Quote from: hbelkins on July 12, 2021, 07:49:18 PM
If you are driving 60 mph in the left lane, passing a car in the right lane that's doing 55 mph, in a 65 mph speed limit zone, you are doing nothing wrong, even if a car that's doing 65 or greater pulls up behind you. You have every right to complete your pass at your current speed without having to speed up.

Well, that's 5 under the limit...I wouldn't raise an issue with that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.