Newell Bridge (Ohio River Toll Bridge) sold

Started by ysuindy, May 06, 2022, 04:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck87

Bitmapped

I'm not surprised. It was largely an anomaly that the former Homer Laughlin China Company owned the bridge to begin with - they developed the town of Newell for their factory and needed a way for workers to get there.

Homer Laughlin underwent a restructuring two years ago when they sold off their commercial product lines to focus on their iconic Fiestaware product. Getting rid of the bridge eliminates a non-core business and also brings in some money from the sale. They were/also trying to jettison their water and sewer utility, Newell Co., for the same reason.

Dirt Roads

On a somewhat [un]related note, Mapmikey just posted a link to the WVDOH Factbook:  https://gis.transportation.wv.gov/gti/Factbook/Appendix_B.pdf

The lack of information about roads and bridges in this document doesn't surprise me.  On the other hand, this document shows how important the removal of tolls from bridges is to West Virginians (and probably a lot of other folks, also).  However, West Virginians still remember some of their toll bridges fondly by name (even long after the tolls have been removed).  Locals still call them the Winfield Toll Bridge and the Dunbar Toll Bridge (and even some still say West End Toll Bridge for the now US-52 crossing of the Ohio River).  And the Lions Club in St. Marys still have a Toll Bridge Fundraiser, even though tolls on the old St. Marys Toll Bridge were removed in 1946 and the bridge was closed and dismantled after the Silver Bridge Disaster (its twin sister).

Anyhow, after the removal of tolls on the Dunbar Toll Bridge, I believe that this leaves two privately-owned toll bridges in West Virginia.  This one in Newell and a smaller Oldtown Toll Bridge (technically in Maryland) crossing the Potomac River near Green Spring.  We should correct the assertion from the owners of the Oldtown Toll Bridge that it is the only private toll bridge crossing a state border.  That doesn't even come close to importance of the Newell Toll Bridge.

Fun geographical fact:  The Newell Toll Bridge goes east to cross into Ohio.  (Let me cross-post this one into the Geographic Oddities thread).

Bitmapped

Quote from: Dirt Roads on May 09, 2022, 10:43:55 AM
Anyhow, after the removal of tolls on the Dunbar Toll Bridge, I believe that this leaves two privately-owned toll bridges in West Virginia.  This one in Newell and a smaller Oldtown Toll Bridge (technically in Maryland) crossing the Potomac River near Green Spring.  We should correct the assertion from the owners of the Oldtown Toll Bridge that it is the only private toll bridge crossing a state border.  That doesn't even come close to importance of the Newell Toll Bridge.

The Memorial Bridge at Parkersburg was owned by the city until earlier this year but has been privatized: https://www.newsandsentinel.com/news/business/2022/03/company-closes-deal-to-buy-memorial-bridge/

There is also a closed toll bridge over Tug Fork at Nolan, WV: https://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/plight-of-nolan-residents-stirs-memories-of-bridge-the-russians-almost-built/article_56195b5b-c866-57b3-b5b2-c5d3131e671b.html

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Bitmapped on May 09, 2022, 12:47:36 PM
There is also a closed toll bridge over Tug Fork at Nolan, WV: https://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/plight-of-nolan-residents-stirs-memories-of-bridge-the-russians-almost-built/article_56195b5b-c866-57b3-b5b2-c5d3131e671b.html

That one quit charging tolls about 2005 when the fellow who inherited the bridge decided that he couldn't afford to pay the tollkeeper.  The DOH closed the bridge in 2007.  I remember that there were some fun discussions on MTR back then (I wasn't on MTR anymore by then).  https://groups.google.com/g/misc.transport.road/c/z7LDMAkFCYI

Joe The Dragon

"The first goal of the new ownership will be to modernize payment methods to include credit card and Apple pay, as well as a membership program,"  he said. "These methods will be put in place to make the toll experience more convenient."
why not E-Zpass as well?

Bitmapped

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on June 09, 2022, 01:42:19 PM
"The first goal of the new ownership will be to modernize payment methods to include credit card and Apple pay, as well as a membership program,"  he said. "These methods will be put in place to make the toll experience more convenient."
why not E-Zpass as well?

I would imagine the equipment required to support E-ZPass would be cost-prohibitive.

SP Cook

Quote from: Bitmapped on June 12, 2022, 09:31:33 AM
Quote from: Joe The Dragon on June 09, 2022, 01:42:19 PM
why not E-Zpass as well?

I would imagine the equipment required to support E-ZPass would be cost-prohibitive.

And the traffic volume do not justify it.   The only reason they are adding anything besides cash is the number of people who simply do not carry cash anymore. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.