News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Something of a particular state’s highways your sad to see go

Started by roadman65, October 11, 2022, 08:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

https://www.aaroads.com/pa/078/i-078-e-exit-040-4.jpg
This photo courtesy of AA Roads shows a type of overpass that was quite common once within the commonwealth of PA.  Sadly, what I used to find fascinating that these design structures built similar to railroad overpasses, is now being phased out for the more conventional type of overpass.

I know, things get old and outlive their service life, but I hate to see a part of roadding history go at the same time.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Quillz

Button copy is becoming less and less common in California as signs get replaced. I particularly will miss this style of button copy shields:

Aesthetically, I think the thicker border combined with the thinner crossbar looks really nice. This style dates back to at least the 1970s or so, if not older.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

Flashing green lights in Massachusetts, although they're not entirely gone. In my opinion, they should be used when there's a pedestrian crossing not at an intersection, although some of the current flashing greens are at intersections.

I don't live in flashing green territory, but the pushbutton on the nearest three-headed flashing yellow to me doesn't work.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

NWI_Irish96

I was sad to see all the short urban/suburban state highways in Indiana get decommissioned, like 73, 112, 123, 131, 141, 219, 431, 435

I get that INDOT needs to focus more on inter-regional connections, but it would be nice if they could work out a way to have locally maintained roads still signed as state highways.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

zachary_amaryllis

Wooden signposts in Colorado, being replaced by those godawful yellow things.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Big John

Hobart

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

hbelkins

The square signs that Kentucky used for its three- and four-digit state routes up until the 1970s.

Now even District 12 (Pikeville), which was the last holdout for using the circles-in-squares signs for four-digit routes, is using the wider oval-or-ellipse-in-rectangle signs for the four-digit routes and wider shields-in-rectangles for US 119 and US 460.

I'm not OCD, but the uniform square signs make for cleaner looking assemblies.

In West Virginia, the "delta" routes and the old-style county route markers -- all-cap lettering with a white outlined circle and white numbers with the inside of the circle being green like the rest of the sign.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Quillz on October 11, 2022, 08:29:42 AM
Button copy is becoming less and less common in California as signs get replaced. I particularly will miss this style of button copy shields:

Image cut

Aesthetically, I think the thicker border combined with the thinner crossbar looks really nice. This style dates back to at least the 1970s or so, if not older.

Came here to say the same thing.  I love the aesthetic of button copy and find modern vinyl signage boring to look at. 

mgk920

The thiin black outlines around route shields on BGSes in Iowa.

Mike

mgk920

Trombone arms in Wisconsin.

Munis can and still do use them.  Appleton just repaved a major street in its downtown area this past summer (Appleton St) and ALL of its signalized intersections got them.   They look really nice. :cool:

Mike

mgk920

TheHighwayMan3561

Minnesota's three-post setup with the diagonal wind brace for standalone ground signs. Still more than a few around but actively being replaced with the single rectangular post in many spots.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Takumi

Large one-piece sign assemblies. A lot of independent cities still do them, but they've become very rare in VDOT-maintained jurisdictions.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kphoger

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 11, 2022, 01:15:36 PM
Minnesota's three-post setup with the diagonal wind brace for standalone ground signs. Still more than a few around but actively being replaced with the single rectangular post in many spots.

I didn't realize those were going away.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

KCRoadFan

Quote from: mgk920 on October 11, 2022, 01:09:34 PM
    Trombone arms in Wisconsin.

Munis can and still do use them.  Appleton just repaved a major street in its downtown area this past summer (Appleton St) and ALL of its signalized intersections got them.   They look really nice. :cool:

Mike

When I was in Madison this summer, I saw a lot of them there - although I'm not sure if they're new installs or pre-existing ones.

JoePCool14

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on October 11, 2022, 09:40:17 AM
Wooden signposts in Colorado, being replaced by those godawful yellow things.

IDOT does the same thing. So many of their posts are yellow and they look awful. Especially on signs with conflicting colors like green or blue.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Bruce

The black-background shields in Idaho, as well as their brown variant for scenic routes. They look much better than their replacements (which are still being phased in).

Roadgeekteen

I will always have nostalgia for the old exit numbers in Massachusetts.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JoePCool14

Another one to add for Wisconsin, I'll miss the wooden uni-signs. They've now switched over to using sheet metal in an effort to be more sustainable, but the wooden signs just felt so right. I wouldn't be surprised to see a reversal to the policy one day when wood becomes the more "sustainable" hot topic.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

skluth

I miss the old rural roadsides. I remember them along several highways in Wisconsin when I was younger. They typically weren't much - a couple picnic tables and maybe an outhouse with parking for 4-6 cars - but they were great for a picnic when traveling along the old two-lane highways. I remember my mom packing sandwiches and we'd stop to eat at one on our way to campgrounds "Up North" or on our periodic vacation trips to Mackinac Island.

kphoger

Wayside picnic areas are only useful if there's a bathroom.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Avalanchez71

I miss the Tennessee Scenic Highway auxiliary signs that were posted along scenic highways throughout the state.  They had the larger ones and then the small reassurance ones.
https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/tdot/traffic-engineering/TN-Supplement%20to%20Highway%20Signs%202018%20final.pdf

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.