News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Exits with a different exit number in each direction

Started by KCRoadFan, February 01, 2023, 11:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

Along I-70 in my hometown of Kansas City, MO, Exit 3B westbound is for Prospect Avenue. Eastbound, on the other hand, 3B is the exit number for Brooklyn Avenue - which is an eastbound-only exit - whereas the Prospect exit is instead called Exit 3C eastbound. (Interestingly enough, the Prospect Avenue exit was always Exit 3C in both directions until somewhat recently, when - for whatever reason - MoDOT decided to renumber the westbound Prospect exit as 3B.)

Anyway, here's my question: throughout the country, where might there be some other freeway exits where the exit number in one direction is different from the number given to the same exit going in the other direction? Also, why might that be so? (I'm not talking about those partial cloverleaf exits where it has A/B ramps in one direction but a single un-suffixed ramp in the other direction; rather, I'm referring to exits that access the same road both ways and happen to have totally different numbers and/or suffixes, like, say, if an exit were numbered as Exit 28 eastbound and Exit 29 westbound.)

geek11111

Because the two ramps in one pair are too far from each other.
Ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Dlaoooooooooooooooooooooo

sprjus4

Not really sure how much it counts... as you're approaching I-64 on northbound VA-168 in Chesapeake, the exit for I-64 West (east towards Virginia Beach) is Exit 15A, and heading southbound on I-464 (which is basically a northern continuation of the same freeway that VA-168 is), the same exit is Exit 1A.

It probably doesn't count though, because heading southbound you're on I-464, and northbound you're on VA-168, so the exit number corresponds to the highway you're on.

But if you consider them a "singular"  freeway (VA-168 and I-464 is physically one continuous freeway), it would be different depending on the direction.

pianocello

I-88 WB from I-294 SB: Exit 31B
I-88 WB from I-294 NB: Exit 29

I-69 EB from I-96 WB: Exit 91
I-69 EB from I-96 EB: Exit 89

In both of these cases, an interchange with a giant footprint is all it takes.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Dirt Roads

South of Greensboro, where I-85 transitions to the Greensboro Urban Loop the exit ramps for the Southwest Leg (northbound I-73) is numbered as Exit 120B on northbound I-85 and Exit 121 on southbound I-85.  The exit for the northbound flyunder/flyover is located much further away from the interchange than the split going [westbound].

GaryV

Quote from: pianocello on February 02, 2023, 10:51:05 PM
I-69 EB from I-96 WB: Exit 91
I-69 EB from I-96 EB: Exit 89
That one even has Exit 90 for Grand River Ave between the 2 I-69 exits.

CNGL-Leudimin

Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Terry Shea

SkyPesos

Here's probably one of the more extreme examples out there:
I-70 to I-465/74: Exit 69 EB, exit 73 WB. This is because of the long C/D lanes for the EB exit ramps starting at the airport exit.

bzakharin

In southern New Jersey, thanks to the unsigned Route 76C accessible only from I-76 East and I-676 South, Eastbound traffic on I-76 is routed onto 76C via Exit 354 signed for US 130 North, NJ 168, and I-676. Westbound traffic, however, uses Exit 1D for US 130 North and Exit 2 for I-676. There is no exit signed for NJ 168, but it can be accessed via US 130.

1995hoo

The Capital Beltway at the Springfield Interchange is probably a good example. The situation arises because the eastern half of the Beltway carries both the I-95 and I-495 numbers while the western half carries just the I-495 number. VDOT elected to number the exits on the I-95 portion (between Springfield and the Woodrow Wilson Bridge) using I-95's exit numbers instead of continuing the Beltway's exit numbers all the way around.

Thus, on the Outer Loop, the Springfield Interchange has two exit numbers posted, Exit 57A to southbound I-95 and Exit 57B to northbound I-395. (Once upon a time the thru lanes on the Beltway had an exit number as well, but that has been removed.) Those exit numbers correspond to the I-495 mileposts originating at the DC/Maryland line on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge and running anticlockwise around the Beltway (anticlockwise because the presence of I-95 trumps the normal clockwise rule). On the Inner Loop, the Springfield Interchange is signed with no exit number for the flyover to stay on I-95, Exit 170B to northbound I-395, Exit 170A to stay on the Beltway (under the technically correct but practically misguided theory that you have to "exit" I-95 onto I-495 even though you're staying on the same road), and Exit 169 to Route 644 (a ramp with no direct equivalent on the Outer Loop because the equivalent ramps split off Exit 57A after it leaves the Beltway). There are also HO/T ramps that aren't numbered on either carriageway.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

spooky

Rhode Island had an instance of this that was eliminated when mileage-based exit numbering was introduced on I-95.

Previously, I-195 was Exit 19 going northbound and Exit 20 going southbound. This is because there was a northbound only Exit 20 for Point Street which came after the I-195 ramp in the northbound direction, and a southbound only Exit 19 for Eddy Street which came after the I-195 ramp in the southbound direction.

When the exits were renumbered, I-195 was designated as Exit 36A in both directions, with Eddy Street and Point Street as Exit 36B in their respective directions. This creates an anomaly where the A suffixed exit comes before the B suffixed exit in the southbound direction.

Takumi

Washington/Wythe Streets in Petersburg VA: northbound exit 50D, southbound exit 52. Long story short, it’s because I-85 is there northbound, and it too has an exit for them that joins the northbound I-95 exit road.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Fredddie

I believe the southern end of I-380 in Coralville is exit 0 north of I-80, but has US 218's exit 96 on the south side.

Road Hog

The Dora exit on I-40 is Exit 330 coming from Oklahoma and Exit 1 coming from Arkansas.

If we had a thread for fake state line road intersections, this would be the OP of the thread.

US 89

As I posted before in another thread where this briefly came up, both I-215 and 7200 South on I-15 south of Salt Lake City:

Quote from: US 89 on November 03, 2021, 07:09:08 PM
The original numbering before the reconstruction (which is still used in the southbound direction) had exit 295 for 9000 South, 297 for 7200 South, and 298 for I-215. However, the new northbound C/D ramp for 72nd and I-215 splits from I-215 south of 9000 South, and is numbered by where it splits from the mainline rather than actual crossroad locations. So now in the northbound direction, 72nd South is exit 294A and 215 is 294B-C.

There is also the exit to I-215 southbound from I-80 at their eastern interchange at the mouth of Parleys Canyon. Eastbound is 128, westbound is 130, and halfway between them is both directions' exit 129 to Foothill.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.