News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most different individual route segments on the same street/road trajectory?

Started by TheStranger, January 07, 2024, 08:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheStranger

Here's an unusual situation that I've known about in the Bay Area for some time, but stands out noticeably more with the emergence of the planned Route 262 freeway project (aka, what had been at one point part of the proposed 1950s routing of I-680!) in Warm Springs, Fremont:

Mission Boulevard decades ago used to carry Route 9 for the vast majority of its length, from what was then Route 17 in Fremont (now I-880) to what was US 50 in Castro Valley (now I-580).  With the 1964 renumbering and the 1965 move of 680 away from the 262 corridor, the end result is Mission Boulevard carrying three seperate route numbers with zero overlap:

- Route 262 between I-880 and I-680, first signed on I-680 overhead signs in the early 2000s, and getting more signage with trailblazers and a couple of overhead sign blades as of the last 3-4 years.

- Route 238 (though signage is getting more sparse due to relinquishments) from the north I-680/Mission junction to Hayward

- Route 185 (still signed southbound in downtown Hayward) between I-238 in Ashland and Route 238/Route 92 in Hayward.

There was a period where 238 ran on a segment of what is now 262 (between Warm Springs Boulevard and I-680), back when 238 continued south along Oakland Road/former Route 17/former US 101E to US 101 in the late 1960s, but otherwise these are three separate segments with no concurrency at all.

Can anyone name an example of something similar like this elsewhere?

Freeways work for this too: one could argue I-238/I-580/I-205 has something like this going on between San Lorenzo and Tracy (only missing Route 120 in the mix due to a short segment of I-5 between 205 and that freeway), or US 101/Route 134/I-210 and Route 210.
Chris Sampang

DTComposer

So kinda the opposite of turn-off-to-stay-on, yes?

Adjacent to your example, I would nominate CA-17/I-880/I-80 (acknowledging that I-580 has an overlap for part of this)/US-50/CA-89.

Dirt Roads

A former trucker once mentioned this famous variation:  I-20/30/40 from El Paso -to- West Memphis.  I had to laugh, because he said it like it was one big number.

TheStranger

Quote from: DTComposer on January 08, 2024, 11:03:25 AM
So kinda the opposite of turn-off-to-stay-on, yes?

Correct yeah.  In that vein, Route 1 (in San Francisco) to I-280 (Junipero Serra Freeway portion) to I-680 would count as this concept too, though not sure if 780 would extend it as it's a fully directional Y (at least it would count going northbound to westbound).

Here's an extension of one from my original post:

92 east - 238 north - 580 west (MacArthur Freeway) - 80 west - 101 south - 134 east - 210 east

Not sure how well this works going westbound/northbound from SoCal to SF though due to the 101/80 split in SF, since the two leftmost lanes continue 101 between the Bayshore and Central freeways (and also due to the street changes in Hayward that force a TOTSO configuration southbound on 238).
Chris Sampang

ran4sh

Starting with CS Floyd Rd in Loganville GA, you can travel northeast all the way to Lake Hartwell on the GA/SC border without making any turns. The routes along this road are GA 81, GA 11, GA 11 Business, GA 15 Alternate, and GA 59
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

DandyDan

From the point where US 275 exits the freeway between Omaha and Fremont, Nebraska west of Omaha and south of Waterloo, it's US 275, Link 28E, N-92, US 77, and Link 55X, which puts you in Lincoln.

The best I can come up with for Iowa is IA 76 going north out of Marquette, IA 76 transitioning into IA 9 by Waukon, then IA 9 turning into IA 139 at the east edge of Cresco. IA 139 then becomes MN 139 at the border.
I do know if you go north at the IA 3/188 intersection south of Clarksville and just keep going straight, you will be on, at various points, IA 188, US 18, IA 14, Business US 218 in Charles City, and US 218, but there's also points where you will be on County roads.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

hbelkins

How about the longest such stretch?

I-280/I-80 (Indiana Toll Road/Ohio Turnpike)/I-76 (Ohio Turnpike/Pennsylvania Turnpike)/I-276/I-95 (PA Turnpike/New Jersey extension) would certainly qualify.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheStranger

Quote from: hbelkins on January 09, 2024, 06:01:14 PM
How about the longest such stretch?

I-280/I-80 (Indiana Toll Road/Ohio Turnpike)/I-76 (Ohio Turnpike/Pennsylvania Turnpike)/I-276/I-95 (PA Turnpike/New Jersey extension) would certainly qualify.

Isn't the first segment the Chicago Skyway portion of I-90?

So essentially, the multi-route straight line:

1. I-90/Chicago Skyway starting at the Dan Ryan Expressway/I-94 in Chicago, continuing as the Indiana Toll Road to the I-80/I-94 junction in Lake Station, Indiana
2. I-80/I-90/Indiana Toll Road from Lake Station to the Ohio border, then Ohio Turnpike east to Elyria, Ohio where I-90 heads northeast
3. I-80/Ohio Turnpike east to North Jackson, Ohio at I-76
4. I-76/Ohio Turnpike east to the Pennsylvania border, then Pennsylvania Turnpike (including overlap with I-70 near Breezewood) to Valley Forge, PA
5. I-276/Pennsylvania Turnpike east to Levittown, Pennslyvania at I-95
6. I-95/Pennsylvania Turnpike east to the Delaware River, then the New Jersey Turnpike - Pennsylvania Extension to a terminus at the mainline NJTP
Chris Sampang

roadman65

Kansas Turnpike has several interstate destinations to it, but at each end continues as two free interstates. I know in OKC I-35 has a freeway end at I-40 however I'm not sure of the freeway status of I-55 from St Louis to Hayti, MO but would assume there are indeed no TOTSO situations. So I would say you can remain on one freeway to go from OKC to West Memphis by heading north on I-35 to end up on I-55 heading south via I-70 across MO as well as the obvious I-40 heading east.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.