News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

US50 shoe tree destroyed by vandals

Started by Kniwt, January 04, 2011, 02:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kniwt

The Lahontan Valley News of Fallon reports that the infamous shoe tree along U.S. 50 was chopped down last week by unknown vandals.

QuoteThe 70-foot cottonwood tree known as the "Shoe Tree"  one mile east of Middlegate was cut down sometime late Thursday night or early Friday morning.

"There are a lot of angry people,"  said Middlegate bartender Travis Anderton describing the reaction from his customers. "That (the tree) helps out business. People come out to see the Shoe Tree."

Truvelo

If the vandal is caught what is the likely punishment? Over here it's likely to be a caution or a couple of hours community service. If what I hear on TV is true over there it's more like 30 years behind bars.
Speed limits limit life

agentsteel53

wow - did I get the last photo of it when I was there on the 25th??
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

roadfro

This actually made the 11 O'clock news on KTVN-TV2 (CBS affiliate) in Reno a couple days ago...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

ramblemutt

While it's certainly no consolation, shoe tree no longer a novelty.  There are at least 3 within 50 miles of where I live,  one is right downtown.....has been going at least 30 years now.  I do realize the US 50 tree has been there a LONG time.  Damn shame what people do to get the attention they apparently don't get at home.
Circling the drain in a 4 wheel drive.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.