News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Service-Free Sections of Interstate

Started by brad2971, February 19, 2009, 11:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

Seems like a risk to rely on them, since I'm sure many people do stop in, use the restroom, and walk out without buying anything - something store managers may frown upon.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

larryao

I think  I-40 between Barstow and Needles is a long strech. about 140 miles of just desert with one rest stop each way :pan:

Revive 755

QuoteI'm guessing that Louisiana's philosophy about rest areas is basically that since most folk will be using private gas stations and truck stops to rest and relieve themselves, they don't see the need for rest areas as much.

Same philosophy Missouri is using now.  Whenever I-44 gets rebuilt, there will be a 100+ mile gap in rest areas (St. Clair or somewhere near Eureka to Conway).  Which I don't like because there are some days I just want a bathroom, not to buy another cup of coffee or a candy bar, and I don't think many gas stations offer weather info - not that Missouri does that in rest areas currently, but that is something they should add.

I think I-44 might have a decent gap in fast food joints, from the Fort Leonard Wood spur (Exit 161) to the westernmost Rolla exit (184), but I think I-29 or I-35 will have greater gaps.

Illinois has some decent gaps in fast-food services.  I don't believe I-57 has any south of IL 13 (Exit 54), and I don't think it has any in Missouri.  I-24 only has fast food at IL 146 (Exit 16) and US 45 (Exit 37).  I-64 appear to go from IL 15 (mile 70 something in Mt. Vernon to IL 1 (Exit 130, only a Subway there).

mightyace

QuoteIllinois has some decent gaps in fast-food services.  I don't believe I-57 has any south of IL 13 (Exit 54), and I don't think it has any in Missouri.  I-24 only has fast food at IL 146 (Exit 16) and US 45 (Exit 37).  I-64 appear to go from IL 15 (mile 70 something in Mt. Vernon to IL 1 (Exit 130, only a Subway there).

Having been on I-57 and I-24 to/from Chicago and Nashville, I know you are correct.  (I just didn't remember the specifics.)  IIRC There's not a lot on I-24 in Kentucky between Paducah and Hopkinsville/Ft. Campbell either.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

cjk374

Louisiana has closed all rest areas on I-20 permanently except for the welcome centers at the state lines, and a pair near MP 95 in Lincoln Parish.  That would be almost the half-way point across the state.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.