News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Youthful Misconceptions

Started by vtk, November 22, 2011, 02:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwana39

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on January 09, 2020, 03:55:41 PM
As I kid I had an image of some guy in a high crime area turning on the switches for all the street lights around NYC every night and then coming back and turning them off in the morning.

With the electric lights, that never seemingly was how it worked. Back in the days of GAS LIGHTS, the lamplighter came in the evening and lit them. In the mornings he came and extinguished them .

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

bwana39

Quote from: J3ebrules on December 04, 2019, 09:42:24 PM
So I know this isn't a highway-related misconception, but highway-adjacent...

When I was a kid/teen/probably a bit now, I always had really strange knowledge gaps about the weirdest things.
My best friend at the time, my mom, and I were playing a neat board game we found somewhere that was supposed to teach life lessons - my friend and I were 16 or 17 year old fairly intelligent and not particularly sheltered young women at the time, and I think it was more like a game to laugh at the absurd answers.........

Until I answered the open-ended,  "Your car is on fire..."  scenario with "call AAA."

So, I'd apparently been raised that when you have any car issue, you call AAA. My mother has not realized she'd accidentally and inadvertently taught me this, and spluttered through tears of laughter, "Right, nothing like getting in a middleman. I love getting bounced around customer service when I'm in something that's ON FIRE. For them to ask if they should call the fire department for you? Did you at least get out of the car for your little chat with AAA?"

My kids (now straddling 40) were teenagers. Their pickup truck caught fire and they called me and asked how to call 911. Admittedly, they had had mobile phones less than a year, but.....
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

kphoger

The real question might actually be how to get your phone out of 9-1-1 mode.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Big John

Quote from: bwana39 on November 08, 2022, 11:23:13 AM
Quote from: J3ebrules on December 04, 2019, 09:42:24 PM
So I know this isn't a highway-related misconception, but highway-adjacent...

When I was a kid/teen/probably a bit now, I always had really strange knowledge gaps about the weirdest things.
My best friend at the time, my mom, and I were playing a neat board game we found somewhere that was supposed to teach life lessons - my friend and I were 16 or 17 year old fairly intelligent and not particularly sheltered young women at the time, and I think it was more like a game to laugh at the absurd answers.........

Until I answered the open-ended,  "Your car is on fire..."  scenario with "call AAA."

So, I'd apparently been raised that when you have any car issue, you call AAA. My mother has not realized she'd accidentally and inadvertently taught me this, and spluttered through tears of laughter, "Right, nothing like getting in a middleman. I love getting bounced around customer service when I'm in something that's ON FIRE. For them to ask if they should call the fire department for you? Did you at least get out of the car for your little chat with AAA?"

My kids (now straddling 40) were teenagers. Their pickup truck caught fire and they called me and asked how to call 911. Admittedly, they had had mobile phones less than a year, but.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TINdNEMhga4

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.