News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What should you bring on a road trip?

Started by Adrienne224, September 12, 2017, 04:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 27, 2017, 05:18:14 PM
Quote from: 1 on September 27, 2017, 05:16:49 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 27, 2017, 05:02:49 PM
Quote from: NE2 on September 27, 2017, 10:08:05 AM
Money to pay for the speeding tickets from trying to get from Texas to North Carolina in 8 hours.
Mabye they will ignore the police cars.

Driving away from a police car when it's trying to pull you over results in much more serious consequences than stopping when you're supposed to.
Well then, 8 hour police chase across state lines. I would watch a tv show of this happening.

I might, but only if they edited it down to the interesting 20 minutes.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kkt on September 27, 2017, 05:57:12 PM
Money to pay for the speeding tickets from trying to get from Texas to North Carolina in 8 hours.

Driving away from a police car when it's trying to pull you over results in much more serious consequences than stopping when you're supposed to.
Well then, 8 hour police chase across state lines. I would watch a tv show of this happening.

I might, but only if they edited it down to the interesting 20 minutes.
Are police cars allowed to chase across state borders?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

J N Winkler

Answering the question originally posted:  I bring bottled water (reusing disposable water bottles), money (both cash and a credit card that is used for the float only), and a smartphone with an up-to-date data plan from a service provider with good 4G availability.

Everything else depends on the nature and scope of the trip.  If it passes through states that have a land border with another country, I take my passport even if I don't intend to cross the border.  If it is a longish sightseeing trip, I take AAA TourBooks and paper maps (yes, even though I have a smartphone--Google Maps' mobile interface does not allow you to modify routes by dragging and dropping).  If I expect to encounter expensive lodging or my time on the road overlaps a holiday weekend, I take camping equipment (tent, air mattress, sleeping bag, and two pillows).  In addition to the smartphone, I take along a point-and-shoot digital camera that uses AA batteries, and for trips longer than two or three days I also take a Ni-MH battery charger.

Reading upthread here and also in the earlier thread linked to above, I see many recommendations to carry tools and supplies for the car, such as air compressors, jumper cables, socket sets, oil, coolant, etc.  With the possible exceptions of jumper cables and trips to remote areas such as northern Alaska, I respectfully disagree.  I used to carry an elaborate kit in the trunk that included a socket set, wrenches, funnels, rubber hose and a basting syringe (to start siphons), one quart each of motor oil and Dexron III/Mercon automatic transmission fluid, a redwood plank, jumper cables, air compressor, and an emergency blanket.  Only the socket set and air compressor saw regular use; I don't do oil changes on the road anymore, and I now prefer to use a different air compressor that runs off wall current.  Getting rid of the now-obsolete motor oil and ATF has become a minor headache.  The very few times I actually used the jumper cables, they were invariably to give someone else a jump, and about half the time his or her car wouldn't start anyway.

For trips that take advantage of well-developed road infrastructure (e.g., not along the Dempster Highway), I'd contend money, time, and effort is better invested evaluating the general roadworthiness of the car so that any potentially disabling problems are identified and, if possible, fixed before departure, and supplies that are taken are closely tailored to actual need.  E.g., for the 2005 Toyota Camry V6, I never carry oil because I know with certainty that it burns no oil, but for the 1994 Saturn SL2, I would carry at least a starter quart because careful prior measurement has established that it burns oil at a rate of 1500 MPQ (up to 1000 MPQ at highway speeds), and I would also be prepared to stop at Walmart as needed to buy additional oil.

In general I am not a fan of anything that runs off the car battery through the cigarette lighter socket, whether the engine is running or not.  Over time, discharge while the engine is not running kills the starting batteries that are typically original equipment in most cars, and while deep-discharge batteries are available for automotive applications (e.g., Optima Yellow Top), carrying additional running loads and/or backfilling discharge from accessory usage also shortens the life of the alternator.  I do carry a lighter socket plug for the smartphone but it is for emergency use only.  I don't use plug-in coolers, reversible or not; the food I buy on the road tends either to keep for a while in the trunk (e.g., carrots, apples) or to be eaten immediately after purchase (e.g., Caesar or southwestern salads from Walmart--usually slightly less than $4 for about 700 calories--when it is late or TripAdvisor study of sit-down restaurant options turns up nothing promising).

I try to keep the passenger cabin picked up (no cargo visible except water bottles and coffee cups) since this helps offset the risk of being Z'ed by thieves for having out-of-state license plates.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

davewiecking

Quote from: Adrienne224 on September 12, 2017, 04:48:48 AM
My family is going on a road trip to north carolina which is 8 hours from where i live. What should i bring for in the car and when I'm there?  :love:
Your curiosity. However, the OP posted this over 2 weeks ago, and hasn't logged in since a week ago (shortly after the post drew its first response), so I'd say that's lacking.

ZLoth

Quote from: J N Winkler on September 27, 2017, 09:10:04 PM
a smartphone with an up-to-date data plan from a service provider with good 4G availability.

Actually, if you plan ahead, you can download the Google Maps to your phone so that you can save your data plan. I found this handy during a recent flight and cruise. Also, there is poor-to-no cell coverage in Death Valley.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Rothman

Quote from: jwolfer on September 27, 2017, 05:25:35 PM

Smokey and the Bandit!

Z981
Nah.  The Chase - Sheen and Swanson
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.