News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

MN 1 clinch report

Started by TheHighwayMan3561, September 22, 2017, 08:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

Yesterday I drove the entirety of MN 1's 347-mile length across northern Minnesota. 1 is the longest state highway in Minnesota (a few US routes have more mileage in the state). It was an interesting cross section of what northern Minnesota has to offer, though it doesn't really connect any two points that people are likely to want to go. It's a tedious drive in the eastern half with a lot of low-speed curves and sub-55 limits, while the western half is very lonely outside of the two major population centers of the Red Lake Reservation. I went about 40 minutes without seeing another car between the west side of Red Lake and the Grygla turnoff.

Pictures to come.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Max Rockatansky

I did that whole eastern segment between US 53 and MN 61 on my recent road trip (hence my thread in the Mid-West Board) and I certainly agree with pretty much everything you said.  That eastern segment of 1 might be the loneliest section of any state highway I've actually encountered in the entire Mid-West.  East of Ely all I encountered was just two motorcycles heading the same direction as me, certainly quiet country out there.  I would love to go back and try the entirety of 1 maybe someday, sure wasn't what I expected.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.