News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Upcoming Michigan Trip (Labor Day Weekend)

Started by CanesFan27, September 02, 2009, 06:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanesFan27

Friday, I am leaving to head up towards the Torch Lake/Traverse City, Michigan area with friends for a long holiday weekend.

Part of the trip will include going to the Mackinac Bridge Walk on Labor Day.

But on Saturday and Sunday, I'll most likely have some time to explore.  And I am looking for suggestions.  Specifically what to see in and around Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore.

I know there are a number of lighthouses in the area one at Old Mission Point and the other Cat Head Point.

From cars here in the Raleigh area that have a M-22 shield bumper sticker on them, I'm guessing Highway 22 is a great drive.

What else is there in the area - what about from Torch Lake to Mackinaw City.  How scenic is US 31 are there a lot of scenic pull offs and lake side towns?

Any other areas of photographic interest?

Thanks in advance!
Adam

rawmustard

M-22 is a fantastic drive, and there are several places to see great scenery. Particularly near the Manistee-Benzie county line is a great scenic overlook that offers splendid views of the lake. I would also recommend checking out both Manistee and Ludington (the latter with a good-lengthed pier and light). I'll just forewarn you that traffic in the area is likely to be busy (duh), and that the eastern leg of M-22 (closer to Traverse City) will likely be busier than the western leg. Also to note if the bridge at Glen Narrows is still under construction, you won't get to clinch all of M-22, as it is totally closed off there. Traverse City itself features a nice downtown, so you should check that out, too. Haven't really explored the towns to the east of Torch Lake in recent years, and of course you'll likely check out both St. Ignace and Mackinaw City on Labor Day. You may want to check out Mackinac Island as well if your body is up to it after the five-mile walk. :D

Both Leelenau and Old Mission are fantastic wine regions, so definitely do some tasting if you're into that and have the time. I've been meaning to get back up that way to sample more of the wineries I couldn't since most were closed the day I went up because of a vintner's funeral. I'll definitely recommend Gill's Pier, as they don't mass-distribute. (The other winery I tried, Leelenau Cellars, is probably the most popular and widely-distributed, and it will have the tasting room packed all weekend.)

You also will want to check out M-119 in Emmett County. That is hands-down the most scenic way to travel from Petoskey to Cross Village, and from there, you can wind along the lakeshore to Mackinaw City, only having to divert to get around Wilderness State Park. I'm sure there's plenty to see over on Lake Huron along US 23, but I've not been towards that area. I'd also recommend driving M-37, especially between Baldwin and Mesick. US 31 between Muskegon and Ludington is a particularly scenic freeway, especially going through a wooded area just north of Muskegon.

I could probably go on and on, but you'll just have to explore and take everything in as you see fit. Most of the lakeshore communities have a light of some sort, and all have nice photo-taking opportunities. Hopefully you will enjoy your visit, and I look forward to seeing the photos you will undoubtedly take.

Hellfighter

I would say US-23 from I-75 to Alpena, but that's the wrong direction.

DanTheMan414

I was up in the Traverse City area last Labor Day weekend, and spent the entire day Saturday exploring just the Old Mission & Leelenau Peninsulas...there is so much to see up there.  I would recommend starting one of your days on the Old Mission Peninsula, go to the tip of the peninsula, & check out the Old Mission Lighthouse & a couple of related historic buildings, then check out a couple of the great wineries along M-37.  (I recommend trying the cherry wine. :-D)  Above all, though, the views of both arms of Grand Traverse Bay are incredible. 

Enjoy the trip!

rawmustard

Quote from: Hellfighter on September 02, 2009, 10:20:03 PM
I would say US-23 from I-75 to Alpena, but that's the wrong direction.

This is Adam Prince we're talking about. If he's in no rush to return, he may very well end up in the Thumb by the time all is said and done. :p

CanesFan27

No, I am not Doug....:-p  I'll most likely spend my time in the Traverse City area.  But pretty much every where in Michigan is new territory for me.  The only real time I was there was over a decade ago when I was chasing a girl that went to school in Grand Rapids.

hbelkins

Quote from: CanesFan27 on September 03, 2009, 10:21:27 AM
No, I am not Doug....:-p  I'll most likely spend my time in the Traverse City area.  But pretty much every where in Michigan is new territory for me.  The only real time I was there was over a decade ago when I was chasing a girl that went to school in Grand Rapids.

How are you going up and back? If you're coming through Kentucky and need some sightseeing tips or pointers, you know who to get in touch with.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Tom

Adam:  Did you get to do the Mackinac Bridge Walk?  I pulled in to Mackinaw City about 6:30 AM and did the Walk myself.  My 1st time, and it was great! :coffee:

Hellfighter

CanesFan27

Dang folks...I just got back yesterday...I'll most likely slowly get the photos up the next few days.  I'll let you know the flickr links when I upload the sets and on the blog.  I'm out of town this weekend so everything should be up by the end of next week if not sooner.

CanesFan27

Tom,

Yes we did get to the  bridge.  We were opn the buses at 8:00.  But because of two pick up trucks that broke down on the southbound lane, it took us an hour and a half to cross the bridge.  We got started at 9:20 and finished just at 11:00.  It was a lot of fun...but the traffic jam trying to get across the bridge made it take a bit longer than I am sure anyone wanted.

CanesFan27

Tom

I know the busses crawled across to St. Ignace.  I boarded 1 about 10 after 7, and didn't start walking back until quarter to 9.  I walked the bridge in an hour and 20 minutes.  Had a great time. :coffee:

CanesFan27

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.