News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Indiana SR7 River Ford

Started by realjd, October 28, 2009, 04:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realjd

According to Wikipedia, Indiana SR7 has an actual ford across a river/creek near Dupont, IN. Does anyone know anything about this? I couldn't find anything on Google Maps that looked like a ford, and it seems weird to me that INDOT wouldn't have just built a bridge by now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_%28crossing%29

Terry Shea

I believe there is a ford on M-20 in Michigan about 5 miles east of Remus.  There is a sign that says "Water Over Road" or something like that.  Sometimes there is water and sometimes not, so maybe it doesn't quite qualify as being a ford.

rawmustard

I drove all of SR 7 back in August, and I don't recall fording anything. It may have been the water was low that day.

njroadhorse

Quote from: HighwayMaster on October 29, 2009, 08:04:45 PM
You can never trust Wikipedia. :pan:
Well, sometimes you can with us proud roadgeeks updating things  ;-)
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Brandon

It looks like there may be a ford on what appears to be an old section of IN-7.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=38.890695~-85.523876&style=h&lvl=18&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

It is along Morgan (or Morgans) Trace Road at a creek it appears to cross.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

realjd

Quote from: Brandon on October 30, 2009, 12:37:31 PM
It looks like there may be a ford on what appears to be an old section of IN-7.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=38.890695~-85.523876&style=h&lvl=18&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

It is along Morgan (or Morgans) Trace Road at a creek it appears to cross.

Is that an old alignment of SR7? On Google Street View, it looks far too narrow. I'll bet that INDOT bridged over whatever ford had been on 7, or Wikipedia is just wrong.

Thanks for the info everyone!

tvketchum

QuoteIt is along Morgan (or Morgans) Trace Road at a creek it appears to cross.

Is that an old alignment of SR7? On Google Street View, it looks far too narrow. I'll bet that INDOT bridged over whatever ford had been on 7, or Wikipedia is just wrong.

Many of Indiana's older routings of state roads are narrow, with sharp curves. I would suspect that this is indeed a former routing of SR 7, and that the ford may very well have been here, in the wooded area. The modernized route was widened, with gentler curves, and bypassed the ford in the process.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SSF

looking at the aerial view, you can see where the ford use to be.

it's about 3-5 miles south of Dupont and includes old highway on either side of the river.  it is just to the west of a new bridge that looks to have been constructed fairly recently given the brightness of it from the sky. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.