News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Michigan's Northwestern Highway

Started by Tom, November 07, 2009, 09:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

About 50 years ago, there was a proposal that came up to extend the Northwestern Highway from its current terminus (M-10) to Fenton or the general vicinity.  Would anyone know if this is still on the drawing board, or why it was shelved, if not? :coffee:

leifvanderwall

That is the first time I ever heard of that proposal. I think what complicated it were the Oakland County lakes.

Brandon

True, the lakes have complicated many highway proposals in the region.  I do know that I-275 was supposed to go through the area, but no idea if the Northwestern Hwy was ever supposed to meet up with it.  It would make sense though.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

tvketchum

Northwestern predated the interstates, and the US 23 freeway. At one time, there was discussions of extending it to US 23, but NIMBYs killed that as well as I 275. The right of way which was owned for the project was sold long ago, like 1980 or so. One might have to go to a library and search old Detroit News and Detroit Free Press articles for information, since that was before online access.

Hellfighter

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.