News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Indianapolis Traffic

Started by wh15395, December 26, 2009, 06:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh15395

Does anybody else believe that a way to ease some of the congestion on I-465 in the north and south sides of Indianapolis would be to add HOV lanes? It seems that that could be a way to increase the use of carpooling in the city. I also think that it would be good to add reversible toll lanes (if that is possible) on I-69 in Fishers. Just wanted to hear your ideas or if you think these are good.

tvketchum

The best way to increase capacity and reduce congestion is to get rid of the loop ramp interchanges, which is where the bugaboo is. On the south side, westbound I 465 is almost always backed up to Emerson with traffic going to I 65. Problem is also twofold- as the impatient types will try to blast by those waiting their turn in line, then cut from the center and sometimes the left lane of 465 to force their way onto the ramp. That ties up not only the orderly, law abiding right lane, but the center and left lanes as well.  Get rid of the loop with a flyover, and get the exit traffic lane back farther from the interchange, separated from the though lanes by jersey barrier to prevent line jumping, and 465 will flow much better.

Brandon

No.  HOV lanes have their use, but, IMHO, it is very limited.  I agree with Tom that reworking the interchanges is a better idea and will produce better results than the social engineering of HOV and HOT lanes.

If anything, traffic in Indy really isn't all that bad.  If you want bad (as far as Indiana is concerned), come up to the Calumet Region which borders Chicago.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

tdindy88

Much agreed about the I-465/65 South interchange, I come across that area often and have seen that lane back up. Not only is it just the westbound 465 backing up, but traffic going eastbound into that interchange occasionally backs up, and then there's the outbound traffic on 65 coming straight from downtown toward the southside means that once the 465 traffic merges onto 65 they have to contend with the already heavy traffic on southbound 65. Flyovers are definently needed, but so are additionally lanes around the interchange to give traffic more time to merge.

Then there is the I-69/I-465 interhchange, with its loop ramp from eastbound 465 to northbound 69, and then there's the whole traffic coming north on Binford that have to cross two lanes to exit at 82nd St. in less than a mile, competing with the traffic from northbound 465 to 69 north. This is the interchange that usually gets the title as worst in the city. This interchange gets off though because there are plans to improve it to include a flyover from that loop ramp among other modifications to that interchange plus the ones at Allisonville Rd. and Keystone Ave. and the addition of lanes on 465 from Meridian to Fall Creek. If only INDOT cared that much about the southside commuters.

As mentioned by another poster, I do agree that Northwest Indiana does have worst congestion, largely because of their association with the Chicago area and the converging of highways into that area because of Lake Michigan.

Revive 755

HOV lanes no.  HOT lanes maybe.  But I'm biased since I've had to drive through Indianapolis alone many times, the latest involved taking I-465 around over I-70 since I was near the start of the PM rush and wasn't sure how well I-70 would work through town.  Now if someone would look at another bypass option, like the briefly proposed Commerce Connector, because the completion of I-69 could add a lot more traffic to the south part of I-465.

The lack of through town routes for I-74 and for I-69 in the future probably doesn't help Indianapolis traffic much.

wh15395

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.