State Toll Roads and Turnpikes

Started by webny99, February 16, 2018, 05:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: Brandon on February 18, 2018, 11:46:16 AM
Quote from: LM117 on February 18, 2018, 06:38:50 AM
There were also cops on the shoulders pointing radar guns at traffic. Given how heavily the Ohio Turnpike was patrolled, I would've thought that I was in Virginia if I hadn't known any better.

Yeah, that's Ohio.  They also have a nasty habit of picking out Michigan plates intentionally to to pull over.  The Toledo War is not dead yet.

I haven't seen that type of enforcement since Maryland in the early 1980s.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mrcmc888

The Delaware Turnpike is generally well-maintained, but is really short.  DE-1, on the other hand, is a constantly-jammed mess.

Rothman

I used to long-distance date someone from the Slower Lower and headed down DE-1 frequently on Fridays and returning Sundays.  Don't remember any significant jams.  Of course, remember them on I-95! :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Thing 342

Quote from: 1 on February 18, 2018, 07:14:38 AM
Florida and Georgia can easily become interoperable with E-ZPass with no significant changes – North Carolina already does it.
This isn't totally true, at least technically. The NC Quickpass hardcase transponder (of which I own one; as opposed to the sticker that NCDOT also put out that only works in NC/FL/GA) hacks its way to interoperability by having both an active, EZ-Pass-compliant component as well as a passive FL/GA-compliant component. It's essentially two different transponders tied to the same account number, an effect which can be similarly achieved (albeit without the common account) by simply slapping a SunPass sticker on the back on an EZ-Pass transponder. The end result is no different to the end user than true interoperability (at least in theory), but creates a whole host of annoying engineering and billing challenges that can cause the system to be quite error-prone in practice (as I occasionally get charged the bill-by-plate rate when using my QuickPass).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.