News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Best of Road Pictures

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, April 25, 2012, 10:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

Nice to see the rainbows are still painted over the portals to the Waldo Tunnel!
Who paints those, anyway?  Caltrans?  The GG Bridge District?

formulanone

Quote from: Morriswa on May 11, 2012, 11:22:58 PM
I don't know how to add the pictures directly.

Right-click the image, copy the URL (with WikiPedia, they append a "File:" description for the entire image page with attribution, et al).

Then, use [img ]http://www.site.com/file.jpg[/img ]
(remove the space after "g" but before the "]".)

Quote an image in someone's post, and edit to see how it works.

Ian

This may not be considered a "best of" photo to most, but I'm always impressed with this photo I took last Summer in Gilford, NH
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

KEVIN_224

It still beats the state route signs in Massachusetts. This one is in Worcester, about a block from their Amtrak/MBTA train and Greyhound/Peter Pan bus terminal.

CentralCAroadgeek

A services sign (with amazing picture quality) along SPID (TX 358) in Corpus Christi

A vista of CA-210 as it descends a hill. Taken eastbound.

Two signs along I-210 east. We're also along the carpool lanes.

A traffic signal in Salinas at the Constitution Blvd/Independence Blvd intersection. With a great backdrop of trees

Ian

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on May 13, 2012, 11:01:33 AM
It still beats the state route signs in Massachusetts. This one is in Worcester, about a block from their Amtrak/MBTA train and Greyhound/Peter Pan bus terminal.

While the Massachusetts shield is a little bland, I do love their green paddle signs like the one in the photo.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

AsphaltPlanet

A few more of mine:

Approaching Atlanta along I-75/85 North:

Approaching Downtown Boston along Interstate 93:

Interstate 90 along the southside of Boston:

Future I-86 east of Binghamton:

The Carpool flyover ramp that links the 91 and 57 Freeways in Orange County California:
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

CentralCAroadgeek

Those are some nice pictures AsphaltPlanet!

I have a question though, in the third picture, it shows that the speed limit is 45. 45 along an interstate? Seriously?

national highway 1

Well, it is in an urban area (Boston) and the right of way is pretty narrow there, thus the 45mph speed limit.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

KEK Inc.

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on May 14, 2012, 07:39:55 PM
Those are some nice pictures AsphaltPlanet!

I have a question though, in the third picture, it shows that the speed limit is 45. 45 along an interstate? Seriously?

40 is the lowest speed limit you can have on an Interstate.  That's also approaching the Big Dig.
Take the road less traveled.

NE2

Quote from: KEK Inc. on May 15, 2012, 03:39:24 PM
40 is the lowest speed limit you can have on an Interstate.  That's also approaching the Big Dig.
Is that so? I thought I-278 had some 35 mph.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on May 15, 2012, 03:51:55 PM
Correct. There is no "lowest". It's all contextual. You could have 25 mph at the end of an Interstate if it has enough of a curve to it. Not to mention I-90's speed limits drops down into the 20s or 30s approaching toll plazas in MA.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: Steve on May 15, 2012, 07:53:56 PM
Correct. There is no "lowest". It's all contextual. You could have 25 mph at the end of an Interstate if it has enough of a curve to it. Not to mention I-90's speed limits drops down into the 20s or 30s approaching toll plazas in MA.

Maybe it varies by states.  According to the variable speed zones page on the WSDOT website, they don't allow speed limits lower than 40 MPH.
Take the road less traveled.

KEVIN_224

That second Boston picture (showing I-90) looks to be from the Albany Street Bridge, not far from South Station. You're looking west there.

CentralCAroadgeek

The Bixby Bridge along the scenic Highway 1 in Big Sur on the Pacific coast.

AsphaltPlanet

Bixbi Creek is beautiful. The drive along the Pacific Coast Highway between LA and San Francisco is on my bucket list.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

kkt

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on May 15, 2012, 10:06:51 PM
The Bixby Bridge along the scenic Highway 1 in Big Sur on the Pacific coast.

A great photo of a great bridge.  Thanks for posting.

1995hoo

There's also a 35-mph limit on a short segment of I-395 in DC where it goes down a ramp to connect to the Third Street Tunnel.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Takumi

From Saturday.

Looking northbound up US 1 where it crosses the Nottoway River between Brunswick (where I'm standing in a parking lot) and Dinwiddie Counties.

US 58 west of Big Fork, where it splits from US 1 in Mecklenburg County.

VA 4 heading south from Kerr Dam.

VA 92 westbound (actually heading north) between Boydton and Chase City.

VA 47 southbound (actually heading east) between North View and South Hill.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

PurdueBill

Took this last Thursday night on Mass Ave NB south of downtown Boston; the goal was the ancient button copy sign but the T bus just starting to pass by as the shutter snapped gave it a neat feel.  I'm no pro photographer so I'm sure that technically this photo is all wrong, but it's not bad for me.  The Pru is the tall building ahead.

KEVIN_224

Here's how Google Maps handles that same sign during the day, very close to your angle:

http://g.co/maps/g97yj

CanesFan27

Hey that Kerr Dam shot looks familiar.

VA 4 around Kerr Lake by Adam's Journey, on Flickr

Jim

Eastbound on I-90/Mass Pike descending from the Berkshires toward the runaway truck ramp and the bridge over the Westfield River.  Added bonus: it's the tail end of foliage season.  October 25, 2007.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Alps

Quote from: PurdueBill on May 23, 2012, 11:15:29 PM
Took this last Thursday night on Mass Ave NB south of downtown Boston; the goal was the ancient button copy sign but the T bus just starting to pass by as the shutter snapped gave it a neat feel.  I'm no pro photographer so I'm sure that technically this photo is all wrong, but it's not bad for me.  The Pru is the tall building ahead.

What.. the... hell. I've been on Mass Ave how many times, and never noticed anything like that? What's the cross street, I'll grab it when I go to Maine over Memorial Labor Day.

EDIT: Never mind, found it. To all interested - right clicking on the photo shows you Patriot Self Storage. No longer the name, but it resolves to 968 Mass Ave.

PurdueBill

Quote from: Steve on May 25, 2012, 06:20:59 PM
What.. the... hell. I've been on Mass Ave how many times, and never noticed anything like that? What's the cross street, I'll grab it when I go to Maine over Memorial Labor Day.

EDIT: Never mind, found it. To all interested - right clicking on the photo shows you Patriot Self Storage. No longer the name, but it resolves to 968 Mass Ave.

Funny that the self-storage place has their old name out there...you'd think that they would want to post their current name (CubeSmart Storage apparently).  I took a bunch of pics of this sign.  With flash, the ancient button copy lights up spectacularly.

I tried sharing the pic on the Alps Roads facebook page, Steve...do you want it for your web site?  I got a couple other good pics last week in Maine and Mass that maybe you would like too.  (For example, the statement that the US 1B shield error for NH 1B may make up the only US 1B shield out there turns out wrong because Maine has some 1Bs and even a "Business US 1B" assembly up! :P )

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.