News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Gotha, FL: Lake Nally Rising For Unknown Reasons and Flooding Homes

Started by Brian556, October 01, 2019, 09:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

Found this on weather.com. Lake Nally, which is located near the Turnpike/ SR 408 junction is rising for unknown reasons and flooding homes. Wonder if the level is really unprecedented or if they just built the houses too close. What makes this interesting is that, as far as I know, the level of these lakes is controlled by the water table.

https://weather.com/news/news/2019-10-01-rising-lakes-gotha-flood-orlando

Max Rockatansky

Those houses look pretty old, I'd say that at this point it is unprecedented water levels.  That said the whole area is awash in sink holes and fluctuations in the water table.  It would surprise me if something happened underground to force more water into the lake permanently...or at least I've heard of it happening elsewhere in the state.

Chris

Historical imagery in Google Earth shows that most houses were built after 2010, but some are older. The imagery also shows the water level fluctuating, a 2002 image shows it being a little more than a pond.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.