New Mexico's unusually low speed limits on some highways

Started by MattHanson939, February 15, 2023, 10:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattHanson939

Quote from: abqtraveler on March 05, 2023, 07:18:27 PMBut it's typical of New Mexico to do things on the cheap.

Most of the projects done in Albuquerque were actually done right in comparison to a lot of projects the rest of the state, IMO.  For instance, they especially did a really good job with the Big-I reconstruction in 2000-02, but they also did a good job with widening I-40 between Carlisle and Pennsylvania Street in the late 2000s (including rebuilding the San Mateo interchange).  I also thought NMDOT did a good job with upgrading US 84/285 between Santa Fe and Pojoaque to freeway standards; the only thing is that project wrapped up almost a year later than scheduled.

Now the NMDOT is talking about redoing the I-40/Rio Grande Blvd. interchange to a diverging diamond to reduce backups on the interstate, in addition to I-25 at Montgomery/Montaño and Comanche and I-25 between Central and Gibson.  I-40 was widened from 6 to 8-10 lanes between Coors and 6th Street in the late 1990s, but traffic gets backed up at Rio Grande Blvd. during rush hour.

But yeah, I agree that at least some projects in New Mexico were done on the cheap, like NM 44/US 550 was.  That being said, there are two problems with NM 4 between East Jemez Rd. (called the "truck route" by locals residing in Los Alamos County) and Rover Blvd. in White Rock.  First, that stretch gets backed up during the evening commute going eastbound.  Second, the asphalt is showing more signs of wear-and-tear than before; and the the painted lines to mark the lanes are fading away.  Good thing is they're going to start redoing the intersection at East Jemez Road this spring to reduce congestion.  But they could also at least resurface that stretch of NM 4 like they did with the stretch between East Jemez Rd. and the eastern terminus at NM 502.

abqtraveler

Quote from: MattHanson939 on March 15, 2023, 12:11:40 PM
Quote from: abqtraveler on March 05, 2023, 07:18:27 PMBut it's typical of New Mexico to do things on the cheap.

Most of the projects done in Albuquerque were actually done right in comparison to a lot of projects the rest of the state, IMO.  For instance, they especially did a really good job with the Big-I reconstruction in 2000-02, but they also did a good job with widening I-40 between Carlisle and Pennsylvania Street in the late 2000s (including rebuilding the San Mateo interchange).  I also thought NMDOT did a good job with upgrading US 84/285 between Santa Fe and Pojoaque to freeway standards; the only thing is that project wrapped up almost a year later than scheduled.

Now the NMDOT is talking about redoing the I-40/Rio Grande Blvd. interchange to a diverging diamond to reduce backups on the interstate, in addition to I-25 at Montgomery/Montaño and Comanche and I-25 between Central and Gibson.  I-40 was widened from 6 to 8-10 lanes between Coors and 6th Street in the late 1990s, but traffic gets backed up at Rio Grande Blvd. during rush hour.

But yeah, I agree that at least some projects in New Mexico were done on the cheap, like NM 44/US 550 was.  That being said, there are two problems with NM 4 between East Jemez Rd. (called the "truck route" by locals residing in Los Alamos County) and Rover Blvd. in White Rock.  First, that stretch gets backed up during the evening commute going eastbound.  Second, the asphalt is showing more signs of wear-and-tear than before; and the the painted lines to mark the lanes are fading away.  Good thing is they're going to start redoing the intersection at East Jemez Road this spring to reduce congestion.  But they could also at least resurface that stretch of NM 4 like they did with the stretch between East Jemez Rd. and the eastern terminus at NM 502.
The Big-I was done well, save for the one-lane ramp from I-40 WB to I-25 NB. That should have been built as a 2-lane ramp, like all of the others within the interchange. 
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

kphoger

The one that most annoyed me on my most recent trip through New Mexico was US-82 between Lovington and the Texas state line, which is posted at 60 mph for whatever reason.  Nearby, US-380 is basically equivalent, yet it has a 65 mph limit.

I guess maybe the shoulder is one or two feet narrower?  I'm not sure I even buy that, though, because US-54 is posted at 65 mph, yet its shoulder doesn't seem as wide as that on US-380 either.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Bobby5280

Could the lower posted speed limit be due to the greater number of oil field related stuff along that stretch of US-82? That seems to be the main difference between it and US-380 to the North.

abqtraveler

Quote from: Bobby5280 on March 16, 2023, 04:55:23 PM
Could the lower posted speed limit be due to the greater number of oil field related stuff along that stretch of US-82? That seems to be the main difference between it and US-380 to the North.
Looking at GSV, US-82 appears to be of a much older design with narrower lanes and shoulders. US-380 looks like it was reconstructed to a more modern design with standard 12-foot lanes and (I'm guessing) 8-foot shoulders, some time before 2007 (when the earliest GSV images are available)
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

sprjus4

The roadway is basically not much different, and immediately jumps from 60 mph to 75 mph upon entering Texas, and doesn't change much more either.

Just seems like an artificially low limit, IMO.

abqtraveler

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 17, 2023, 05:35:50 PM
The roadway is basically not much different, and immediately jumps from 60 mph to 75 mph upon entering Texas, and doesn't change much more either.

I think it also has to do with how speed limits are set in each state. In Texas, speed limits are set based on population density, which is why you see a lot of 2-lane roads in rural Texas with 75 MPH speed limits. In contrast, New Mexico law dictates maximum speed limits based on road classification, regardless of if it runs through an urban, suburban, or rural area.

And unlike Texas where speed limits are set by TxDOT, New Mexico's speed limits are codified into law, meaning only the New Mexico Legislature can approve a change to the maximum speed limit for each road classification. To be clear, the speed limits for each road classification in New Mexico are the maximum, and NMDOT can always set the speed limit lower than what's prescribed by law, based on engineering studies and "professional judgment." But for NMDOT to set a higher speed limit would require legislative approval.

MattHanson939

Quote from: abqtraveler on March 18, 2023, 12:08:32 PM
New Mexico law dictates maximum speed limits based on road classification, regardless of if it runs through an urban, suburban, or rural area.

And unlike Texas where speed limits are set by TxDOT, New Mexico's speed limits are codified into law, meaning only the New Mexico Legislature can approve a change to the maximum speed limit for each road classification. To be clear, the speed limits for each road classification in New Mexico are the maximum, and NMDOT can always set the speed limit lower than what's prescribed by law, based on engineering studies and "professional judgment." But for NMDOT to set a higher speed limit would require legislative approval.

That's interesting because during the 2000s and 2010s, I've seen speed limits get raised because of engineering studies deciding that higher speeds were indeed safe for certain stretches of highways.  It didn't matter what type of road it was.  In fact, there are two stretches of highway in NM that aren't freeways where the speed limit is 75 mph.  For instance:

• US 84/285 between the NM 599 interchange and Guadalupe Street in Santa Fe used to be posted at 45 mph; but around 2007, it was raised to 55 mph after an engineering study.
  • In 2012, I-10 from Las Cruces to the Texas state line was raised from 70 mph to 75 mph.
  • Around May 2014, the speed limit on I-25 between US 550 in Bernalillo to Tramway Blvd. in Albuquerque was also raised from 70 mph to 75 mph.
  • US 70 through White Sands is 75 mph, and it's not a freeway.
  • In late 2018, US 285 between Roswell & Vaughn also had its speed limit raised from 70 mph to 75 mph; and like the stretch of US 70 mentioned above, it's also not a freeway.

The only places I've seen that used to have higher limits but then got lowered for ridiculous reasons or no reason are two highways in the northern part of NM.  As previously mentioned, NM 502 between the junction with NM 30 and Pojoaque Valley High School used to have a 65 mph limit, and it got lowered to 55 mph in 2007.  A year later, NM 30 was lowered from 60 mph to 55 mph.  I-25 between Central and Gibson Blvd. in Albuquerque was lowered to 55 mph in 2004; but unlike the two instances I mentioned above, that one was reasonable because that particular stretch wasn't designed to be driven at 65 or higher due to closely spaced interchanges, shorter exit and entrance ramps, and a tight S-curve between Coal/Lead and Avenida Cesar Chavez.

sprjus4

I think it also has to do with how speed limits are set in each state. In Texas, speed limits are set based on population density, which is why you see a lot of 2-lane roads in rural Texas with 75 MPH speed limits. In contrast, New Mexico law dictates maximum speed limits based on road classification, regardless of if it runs through an urban, suburban, or rural area.

New Mexico has the full authority to bump the speed limit from 60 mph to 65 mph on US-82.

Interestingly enough, New Mexico used to have a default 75 mph limit on unmarked roads, including narrow 2 lane. That was rolled back to 55 mph.

roadman65

Maybe ifs a speed trap for those entering from Texas? ^^^^^
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on March 18, 2023, 04:19:34 PM
Maybe ifs a speed trap for those entering from Texas?

Fortunately for me, I guess, I drove it heading into Texas.  So, rather than having to slow down from 75 to 60 for no good reason, I got to speed up instead.

And the slow speed limit was the least of my headaches that day, as it was just a small part of the Tumbleweed-ageddon trip.

Quote from: kphoger on February 24, 2022, 12:35:27 PM
On the way back, we hit some crazy winds and, on NM-483 heading north toward Lovington, we had a tumbleweed adventure.  There were strong sustained winds from the west that day, and a good stretch of NM-483 must lie in a slight depression between the fence lines.  So here's the situation that was created:

The wind would blow tumbleweeds up against the western fence line.  Eventually, the weeds would pile up to form a sort of siege ramp, which then allowed all the ones after them to just roll up the ramp and down onto the highway.  Some of them made it across the highway to the eastern fence line, and the same thing would ensue on that side.  However, down on the highway depression itself, the wind was substantially less strong, so a lot of weeds simply piled up on the pavement.

When I say "a lot", I mean it!  For probably a mile or more, it was literally impossible to see the pavement at all, and we "waded" through a sea of tumbleweeds that reached up to the grill.  Every so often, we'd catch a glimpse of the edge line or the center stripe, but most of the time it was guesswork to stay on the road.  With tumbleweeds cascading over the hood of our car, we plowed through at 15 to 25 mph.  Occasionally, a trucker would roar by in the other lane, sending an avalanche of weeds over our car;  at that point, we'd switch over and drive in the left lane, in the tracks of matted-down weeds left by the trucker, until we came upon another oncoming vehicle and would switch back to the right side again.  I say "we", but my wife was driving that stretch;  I guess my role was moral support and technical advice.

When we finally made it out of the "sea", we pulled to a stop in the middle of the travel lane.  Barehanded (ouch!), I had to reach up under the grill and pull out mats of wedged tumbleweeds.  Then I went around to the side of the car and had my wife drive very slowly while I pulled weeds out from inside the wheel wells and behind the wheels–trusting that she wouldn't suddenly accelerate and rip my forearm off.  When we got into Lovington–wind whipping dust and tumbleweed bits and chaff all around–we pulled into a parking lot and did another round of weed pulling.  Days after returning home, while I was checking the air filter, I found myself pulling tumbleweed pieces out from on top of the transmission.

↓  Here is a picture of the beginning of the adventure.  This is before it got "really" bad.

From there, the winds didn't stop.  Heading north from Plains (TX), we drove through sustained 25-35 mph crosswinds.  Because that part of Texas seems to grow a lot of dirt in their fields rather than crops, that meant driving through periodic dust storms that reduced visibility by as much as a snowstorm.  Then, just as dirt farms gave way to crops, the rain started.  By the time we stopped for gas at Vega, the wind had ripped the decal off the windward side of our cargo box.

In Friona, I drove a specific route in order to pass through the intersection of TX-214-Business and FM-2397-Spur, with the intention of taking a picture of the assembly to share on this site.  But the rain was still strong, so I didn't feel like stopping and getting drenched.

By the way, those tumbleweeds did a number on the car's C/V axle seals.  We had to have them replaced in March, even though they had just been installed seven months earlier (just before our trip).
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abqtraveler

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 18, 2023, 03:46:17 PM

New Mexico has the full authority to bump the speed limit from 60 mph to 65 mph on US-82.

Interestingly enough, New Mexico used to have a default 75 mph limit on unmarked roads, including narrow 2 lane. That was rolled back to 55 mph.
That rollback occurred when Susana Martinez was governor. It was a bit crazy when the default speed limit was 75 mph because someone could travel on an unpaved county road with no posted speed limit at 75 mph and not have to worry about getting a ticket, although that driver would probably have a huge bill for all of the repairs to their vehicle afterwards.

sprjus4

^ Perhaps for unpaved, but I'd argue the 75 mph speed limit on a paved road with enough room for two cars to pass with a little bit of "fudge"  room (wider lane, shoulder, etc.) is reasonable.

Bobby5280

There is no way I would drive through a bunch of tumbleweeds like that. I'd turn around and back-track to a route around it. Granted, there isn't a lot of alternative route choices in New Mexico. But considering the damage an enormous log-jam of tumbleweeds can do to a vehicle, it's worth it to back-track, even if you're back-tracking hundreds of miles.

Rothman

Quote from: Bobby5280 on March 26, 2023, 10:25:37 AM
There is no way I would drive through a bunch of tumbleweeds like that. I'd turn around and back-track to a route around it. Granted, there isn't a lot of alternative route choices in New Mexico. But considering the damage an enormous log-jam of tumbleweeds can do to a vehicle, it's worth it to back-track, even if you're back-tracking hundreds of miles.
Huh.  There was one time I was driving on I-80 from NV to Salt Lake and there were hundreds of tumbleweeds blowing across the Interstate.  They were so light that they blew right around the vehicles and did no harm.

Then again, I wouldn't drive through a pile of them.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Bobby5280

I can imagine those things doing a number on a vehicle's paint job.

abqtraveler

Quote from: Bobby5280 on March 26, 2023, 11:28:43 AM
Tumbleweeds can scratch a vehicle's paint, but it takes a lot of them to do so.

Bobby5280

It takes a whole lot of them to pile up enough to block a highway. The other vehicle issues that kphoger described didn't sound real cheap and convenient to fix either.

kphoger

Quote from: Bobby5280 on March 26, 2023, 11:28:43 AM

I've never cared about paint scratches.  It helps having a silver car, though...

Quote from: Bobby5280 on March 26, 2023, 01:55:59 PM
It takes a whole lot of them to pile up enough to block a highway. The other vehicle issues that kphoger described didn't sound real cheap and convenient to fix either.

No, not cheap.
Male pronouns, please.

triplemultiplex

I don't know what it's like to own a vehicle that I care about the paint getting scratched. :P

It is funny when you run over tumbleweeds because you look in your mirrors and you're leaving a trail of considerably smaller tumbleweeds in your wake.  :-D
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

DJStephens

But yeah, I agree that at least some projects in New Mexico were done on the cheap, like NM 44/US 550 was.
Was personally involved in the '00-'02 big I project, so saw it first hand.  Would disagree about it being done right, but the "conversion" to RH exits and entrances in the interchange core, was the single best improvement imho.  The contractor (Twin Mtn II) which was later "absorbed" into Kiewit, was promised big bonuses, and land gifts, if they beat a deadline, so yes, certain elements were rushed, and quality suffered.   
a) Several of the flyovers (segmental) should have been two lanes from the beginning.  Can't widen a segmental flyover in any practical sense.   Have to demolish and replace in situ, and or build new alongside and demolish original. 
b)I-25 should have had eight total through lanes through interchange core, it only has six. 
c)I-25 in the southern end should have been "prepared" for additional work to "depress' and deck park cover I-25 in the Lomas - Central - Lead/Coal environs, along with straightening.  Instead there were "throwaway" improvements in the connection to the ancient fifties elevated segment of 25.    Most of these are Design failings, rather than poor construction, design in this part of the country is frankly bad.   

abqtraveler

Quote from: DJStephens on April 02, 2023, 10:53:39 AM

But yeah, I agree that at least some projects in New Mexico were done on the cheap, like NM 44/US 550 was.
Was personally involved in the '00-'02 big I project, so saw it first hand.  Would disagree about it being done right, but the "conversion" to RH exits and entrances in the interchange core, was the single best improvement imho.  The contractor (Twin Mtn II) which was later "absorbed" into Kiewit, was promised big bonuses, and land gifts, if they beat a deadline, so yes, certain elements were rushed, and quality suffered.   
a) Several of the flyovers (segmental) should have been two lanes from the beginning.  Can't widen a segmental flyover in any practical sense.   Have to demolish and replace in situ, and or build new alongside and demolish original. 
b)I-25 should have had eight total through lanes through interchange core, it only has six. 
c)I-25 in the southern end should have been "prepared" for additional work to "depress' and deck park cover I-25 in the Lomas - Central - Lead/Coal environs, along with straightening.  Instead there were "throwaway" improvements in the connection to the ancient fifties elevated segment of 25.    Most of these are Design failings, rather than poor construction, design in this part of the country is frankly bad.
It wasn't until after the Big-I reconstruction was completed did NMDOT prepare a Deficiencies and Needs Study for the I-25 corridor between Isleta and Tramway. In other words, no one at the time was thinking about future upgrades to I-25 when the Big-I was rebuilt, which is why you have that awful transition to the pre-interstate era section between Central and Gibson that includes the dreaded S-curve.

MattHanson939

Quote from: abqtraveler on April 04, 2023, 08:38:40 PM

It wasn't until after the Big-I reconstruction was completed did NMDOT prepare a Deficiencies and Needs Study for the I-25 corridor between Isleta and Tramway. In other words, no one at the time was thinking about future upgrades to I-25 when the Big-I was rebuilt, which is why you have that awful transition to the pre-interstate era section between Central and Gibson that includes the dreaded S-curve.

I was in Albuquerque a little over a week ago and noticed that the Montgomery/Montaño interchange still isn't under construction.  Initially, they were supposed to start that project two years ago and then pushed it back to this year.  I wonder if they pushed the project back a year later since that will also involve redoing the Comanche interchange.

abqtraveler

Quote from: MattHanson939 on April 17, 2023, 09:51:06 AM
Quote from: abqtraveler on April 04, 2023, 08:38:40 PM

I was in Albuquerque a little over a week ago and noticed that the Montgomery/Montaño interchange still isn't under construction.  Initially, they were supposed to start that project two years ago and then pushed it back to this year.  I wonder if they pushed the project back a year later since that will also involve redoing the Comanche interchange.
Because NMDOT decided to expand the scope of the I-25/Montgomery interchange to include Comanche, the cost estimate exploded from $70 million to around $200 million for that project. The rebuilt stretch will include braided ramps and Texas-style turnarounds at both Comanche and Montgomery. Now the state needs to find the money to pay for the project.

https://www.i25improved.com

jtespi

Quote from: MattHanson939 on February 20, 2023, 01:27:58 PM
There's a stretch of I-10 near Las Cruces where the speed limit is capped at 65 mph but ought to be raised to 75 mph because there aren't closely spaced interchanges.  And that is between exits 132 (airport) and 139 (Motel Blvd).  The 65 mph limit is only reasonable from Motel Blvd. to the junction with I-25.  Other than that, it doesn't make sense because I-25 near Albuquerque is 75 mph between Broadway and Rio Bravo, then drops to 65 as you approach the city limits, briefly drops to 55 mph from Gibson Blvd. to Central Ave. goes back to 65 mph as you approach the Big-I and remains at 65 mph until after Tramway Blvd. where the 75 mph limit resumes.  In fact, the speed limit remains at 75 mph at Santa Fe.

I agree. I think part of the issue in Las Cruces is that the NMDOT does not like to give differing speed limits to different directions of the roadway. I can see 65 being appropriate up until Picacho Ave (Exit 135), especially for westbound traffic leaving the Mesilla Valley. The incline just before Picacho has a very pathetic third lane (truck lane) that ends just 300 m (980 ft) short of the Picacho exit, when should have obviously just been an exit-only lane. Not to mention the truck lane begins quite late on the incline, it should have begun 900 m (3000 ft) sooner.

For eastbound traffic descending into the Mesilla Valley, 75 MPH is appropriate up until Motel Blvd (Exit 139).
I agree that both directions should be 75 MPH west of the Picacho exit as the airport exit (132) is not that heavily trafficked.

Another example of where differing speed limits should have been given, US-70 going eastbound from I-25 has a 45 MPH speed limit until Rinconada Blvd. The lowering of speed limits from 65 to 55 to 45 only makes sense westbound as the freeway is about to end at a traffic signal with exit ramps from I-25. Eastbound, the freeway is going away from the traffic signals and should be no lower than 55 MPH.

Also, I'm not sure why the NMDOT only did the third exit-only lane between Sonoma Ranch and Rinconada westbound only. The two extrance/exit ramps are only 500 m (1600 ft) apart from each other.

Quote from: MattHanson939 on March 18, 2023, 03:34:42 PM
In fact, there are two stretches of highway in NM that aren't freeways where the speed limit is 75 mph.  For instance:

• US 70 through White Sands is 75 mph, and it's not a freeway.
  • In late 2018, US 285 between Roswell & Vaughn also had its speed limit raised from 70 mph to 75 mph; and like the stretch of US 70 mentioned above, it's also not a freeway.
For all intents and purposes, those two mentioned stretches of US highways are essentially freeways. There are no settlements between White Sands (townsite) and Holloman AFB along WSMR for US-70 and likewise between Roswell and Vaughn for US-285. I haven't personally driven that stretch of US-285 but I did take a look at it on Google Maps.

I've driven US-70 between Alamogordo and Las Cruces many times and the only traffic entering/exiting the highway in the White Sands Missile Range portion is WSMR employees. There's no public access other than the turnoff to White Sands National Park. So it is essentially a freeway just one that allows bicycles and has non-grade separated access for non-public (WSMR) traffic. Yes I know it's not a true controlled-access highway (freeway) but it is functionally more than 90% a freeway

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.