News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

I started this topic because my searching of an existing PA Turnpike / I-95 interchange topic wasn't found.

How many people have seen the 'visualizations' section of the I-95/I-276's online website? Included are two 'driving simulators' that go from south to north or west to east. The interesting things about these visualizations are amount of detail and accuracy in them - they both feature realistic looking BGS and sign gantries (with some exceptions) which makes them interesting to watch. One thing that isn't accurate is the NJTP shield on some of the BGS - it's pretty ugly.

You can view the visualizations here:
http://www.paturnpikei95.com/visualizations.htm

As with the previous I-95 BGS heading north from Philadelphia, the control city used is Trenton. I-195 will be extended over the old Trenton I-95 section, and I-295 will be truncated to exit 60 east of Trenton, with the truncated sections becoming a part of I-195. I-276 east of this interchange will now be I-95, with the NJTP officially becoming I-95 from the start of the Delaware River Turnpike Bridge.

If I missed any details please correct them, and if there is a topic for the interchange project, then the mods can feel free to merge this post into that one if they so choose.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

Isn't the flyover from East to West actually going from West to East?

In the South to North drive-thru, it appears that the 2 lane, 95 North is a single lane exit to itself, where it becomes 2 lanes on the ramp for 95 North, with the left lane splitting to go to the PA Turnpike WB.

Zeffy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 25, 2014, 01:44:16 PM
Isn't the flyover from East to West actually going from West to East?

I thought that same thing.

How is the exit numbering going to work for I-195? It was already weird when jumped for Exit 1 A/B to Exit 60 A/B at the transition to NJ 29, but now that I-195 took over I-295 and Trenton's I-95, it has about 14-15 new exits to label. It could easily be solved by absorbing I-295's exit numbering, then just continuing the same scheme for I-95's exit list.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

PHLBOS

Quote from: Zeffy on February 25, 2014, 06:19:39 PMHow is the exit numbering going to work for I-195? It was already weird when jumped for Exit 1 A/B to Exit 60 A/B at the transition to NJ 29, but now that I-195 took over I-295 and Trenton's I-95, it has about 14-15 new exits to label. It could easily be solved by absorbing I-295's exit numbering, then just continuing the same scheme for I-95's exit list.
Guess on my part but the renumbering of exits for I-195 will likely be as follows:

PA (current I-95)
Exit 1 will be at the new Turnpike (I-95/195/276) interchange and increase to the NJ state line and current Exits 44-51 will be renumbered 2-9.

NJ
Current I-95: Exits 1-8 will remain unchanged.
Current I-295: Exits 67-60 will be renumbered (& change direction) 9-16
Current I-195: Exits 1-36 will be renumbered 17-52
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Strider

Have the construction already started on Phrase 1?

DeaconG

Quote from: Strider on February 25, 2014, 11:07:27 PM
Have the construction already started on Phrase 1?

Yes, the construction of the new mainline toll plaza in Bensalem and the new toll facilities at US 13 is underway:

http://www.paturnpikei95.com/sum07openhouse.htm
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Zeffy

SignBridge

This long overdue project is not exactly proceeding rapidly. Heck, the whole original New Jersey Turnpike was built in what, 2 years???  Looking at the timeline on their website, I hope I live long enough to see this interchange completed and actually get to drive through it! I've been waiting for this to happen since 1976, when I first drove to Phila. and stared in disbelief as I drove west on the Penn. Turnpike thru the I-95 underpass and there was no interchange there to go south on I-95 to Phila. This travesty would never have happened in New York State. Look at all the NY Thruway interchanges with other Interstate Freeways.

vdeane

As much as I hate PA's non-interchanges, it's worth noting that the Thruway was built at the same time as the other interstates, unlike the PTC.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

KEVIN_224

And yet...look how long it took to get a direct connection between I-87 and I-84! :(

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SignBridge on February 27, 2014, 05:07:51 PM
This long overdue project is not exactly proceeding rapidly. Heck, the whole original New Jersey Turnpike was built in what, 2 years??? 

Yes, in the late 40's/early 50's, when the population was a fraction of what it is now and the existing roads would require hours to drive compared to the speed of the turnpike, and when environmental regulations didn't exist, OSHA didn't exist, and a death every few months was considered acceptable, it only took about 2 years to build the turnpike.

Quote tag fix ~S

NE2

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on February 27, 2014, 10:04:48 PM
And yet...look how long it took to get a direct connection between I-87 and I-84! :(
lOl I-790
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SteveG1988

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 27, 2014, 10:22:10 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on February 27, 2014, 05:07:51 PM
This long overdue project is not exactly proceeding rapidly. Heck, the whole original New Jersey Turnpike was built in what, 2 years??? 

Yes, in the late 40's/early 50's, when the population was a fraction of what it is now and the existing roads would require hours to drive compared to the speed of the turnpike, and when environmental regulations didn't exist, OSHA didn't exist, and a death every few months was considered acceptable, it only took about 2 years to build the turnpike.

Quote tag fix ~S

it is also easier to build on a new alignment than to build onto an existing infastructure.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

vdeane

In the case of the I-84 interchange, it looks like the Thruway pre-dated I-84 by several years.  Early topo maps even show a partial trumpet with NY 17K.

Quote from: NE2 on February 27, 2014, 10:54:12 PM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on February 27, 2014, 10:04:48 PM
lOl I-790
I-790 actually did have a direct connection... up until the moment it was upgraded to a freeway.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Henry

From the PA Turnpike/I-95 Interchange Project website, here are four cool presentations of what the finished product will look like.

Drive-Through West-East: Transition from I-276 East to I-95 North
Drive-Through South-North: Transition from I-95 North to I-195 East
Flyover East-West
Flyover South-North

The buildings, trees and even the high-mast streetlights make it look a lot like the real thing! However, I've read that the "I-195" depicted here may actually become I-395 instead. Here's the completed interchange as it will look below:

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

dgolub

Cool!  Now how many years until they finally get it built?

rickmastfan67

Zeffy

Quote from: dgolub on December 03, 2014, 06:57:21 PM

At the current rate... maybe in about 5 years, and that's being generous.

Also, anyone want to gander at what software was used to make those visualizations? I'm curious. I almost want to think 3d Studio or Maya, but at the same time... I feel like it's something much more different.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Zeffy on December 04, 2014, 10:07:47 AM

Also, anyone want to gander at what software was used to make those visualizations? I'm curious. I almost want to think 3d Studio or Maya, but at the same time... I feel like it's something much more different.

Supposedly, the ramps needed to complete I-95 (but not the other movements and definitely not more than two lanes each way between the bridge over the Delaware River and the new interchange) will be complete in 2017.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Roadrunner75

The latest version of Microsoft Paint.  They've ramped it up in Windows 8...   :sombrero:

Roadsguy

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on December 04, 2014, 11:31:31 PM
The latest version of Microsoft Paint.  They've ramped it up in Windows 8...   :sombrero:

Well, those videos might even be older than Vista, so it must have been an early beta test. :bigass:
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

vdeane

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 05, 2014, 11:27:18 AM
Quote from: Roadrunner75 on December 04, 2014, 11:31:31 PM

Well, those videos might even be older than Vista, so it must have been an early beta test. :bigass:
And then they put it all together in Windows Movie Maker...

Gnutella

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 04, 2014, 03:28:00 PM

Supposedly, the ramps needed to complete I-95 (but not the other movements and definitely not more than two lanes each way between the bridge over the Delaware River and the new interchange) will be complete in 2017.

So basically, three years to complete the missing link, and five or six years to complete the other movements is what it sounds like.

J Route Z

It will probably take a little longer (hopefully not, but unfortunately how the government works these days)  :banghead:

Instead of rerouting the current I-95 segment as I-195, they should make it I-395 from the new interchange, across the Delaware River then to the NJ 29/I-295/195 interchange. However, if they are making it I-195 that means they will have to renumber the exits on the current 195 highway between the 95 segment/295 in NJ and NJ 138. The current exits on 95 are already counted for. Here is the future exit list I calculated:

Former:   (295)        New:

67       (US 1)           9

65    (Sloan Ave)    11A-B

64    (CR 535)       12A-B

63    (Route 33)    13A-B

62    (Olden Ave)   14

61    (Arena Dr)     15A-B

60   (I-295/NJ 29)  16A-B

(Now on 195 segment)
(interchange 60 ramps should be modified, IMO)

1       (US 206)       17A-B

2  (US 206/CR 524)   18

3 (Yardville Hamilton 19A-B
          Square Rd)

5        (US 130)       21A-B

6      (NJ Turnpike)    22

7         (CR 526)       23

8         (CR 539)       24

11    (Imlaystown)    27

16      (CR 537)       32A-B

21      (CR 527)       37

22   (Jackson Mills)  38

28       (US 9)         44A-B

31     (CR 547)       47A-B

35    (Route 34)     51A-B

36    (GSP north)    52

(Begin Route 138 east)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.