News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

CT/MA/RI freeway plans as of 1972

Started by kurumi, December 05, 2020, 03:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

Here's a neat map from the Connecticut Port Authority Study Commission - Final Report, dated Feb. 1972.

This was CT's understanding of its neighbors' plans around the same time. Some of the MA proposals were new to me.

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Roadgeekteen

I'm sure the wealthy people in Weston and Wayland would be thrilled about I-290.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

The one that really gets me is MA 23. I understand the road to New York, but why the eastern section?

Alps

What is this about an MA 8 freeway to the Vermont line? What crack needs to be smoked to have that next to a US 7 freeway? Western MA 9 is equally absurd - and meanwhile, no western extension of MA 2.
And am I to understand that MA 13 and 31 were both to be freeways, along with MA 12? What is this frippery?

Wait. Wait. The best part: A FREEWAY ON MARTHA'S VINEYARD

dcbjms

Were I-295 and MA-140 supposed to connect together, like that map suggests?

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 05, 2020, 07:47:39 PM
Southeast CT is a mess.

The thin solid green lines are not freeways or intended to be freeways.

froggie

QuoteWestern MA 9 is equally absurd - and meanwhile, no western extension of MA 2.

I would disagree here.  West of I-91, MA 9's traffic is consistently higher than MA 2's.

shadyjay

Quote from: Alps on December 05, 2020, 05:31:41 PM

Perhaps it was to connect to that eastern extension at the north end of I-495 at I-95.  Or was that to reconnect to the Falmouth Spur in Maine, making a bypass of the Maine Turnpike via the Atlantic Ocean?

Rothman

Quote from: froggie on December 05, 2020, 09:44:07 PM
QuoteWestern MA 9 is equally absurd - and meanwhile, no western extension of MA 2.

I would disagree here.  West of I-91, MA 9's traffic is consistently higher than MA 2's.
Meh.  Only as far as the other side of Northampton (Williamsburg).  Then, you have traffic between Pittsfield and Dalton. Very little traffic goes between Pittsfield and Northampton.

MA 2 definitely has more tourism related and college traffic west of the Pioneer Valley (Shelburne Falls, Mount Greylock, Williams College...).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on December 05, 2020, 07:57:11 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 05, 2020, 07:47:39 PM
Southeast CT is a mess.

What are they meant to be then?

shadyjay

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 05, 2020, 10:04:38 PM
Surface roads/connector roads.  See CT 82 in SE CT (except a CT River crossing), CT 25 in NW CT, CT 8 north of the US 44 freeway, CT 32 in NE CT, etc.

Ketchup99

Hold on, there's an expressway on the Vineyard? I'm usually a fan of more highways, but I'm not sure I see that one...

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: shadyjay on December 05, 2020, 11:11:22 PM

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 05, 2020, 10:04:38 PM
Surface roads/connector roads.  See CT 82 in SE CT (except a CT River crossing), CT 25 in NW CT, CT 8 north of the US 44 freeway, CT 32 in NE CT, etc.
There are many more surface roads in New England...

I think there were similar plans in NY NJ  and PA. From this era.
Inn the Midwest there were plans like this in IL IA MO and OH.

DJ Particle

Quote from: Ketchup99 on December 06, 2020, 01:48:19 PM
Hold on, there's an expressway on the Vineyard? I'm usually a fan of more highways, but I'm not sure I see that one...

No but apparently there were plans for one in the EVH Rd corridor.  I'd call that #1 in the list of highway projects that will never happen in ever.  :-D

SectorZ

Quote from: DJ Particle on December 07, 2020, 12:48:12 AM

No but apparently there were plans for one in the EVH Rd corridor.  I'd call that #1 in the list of highway projects that will never happen in ever.  :-D

I have to think that this was a joke or something on the mapmakers part. It's just so damn out there. Even the plaster interstates everywhere posters on this board have never dreamed that one up.

Roadgeekteen

What's the EVH rd?

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 07, 2020, 08:15:08 AM

What's the EVH rd?

Electric vehicle HOV Edgartown-Vineyard Haven

seicer

I couldn't find a newspaper article on it - it'd be interesting to see how realistic or far down the road the proposal made it.

froggie

Quote from: Rothman on December 05, 2020, 09:52:20 PM

Meh.  Only as far as the other side of Northampton (Williamsburg).  Then, you have traffic between Pittsfield and Dalton. Very little traffic goes between Pittsfield and Northampton.

MA 2 definitely has more tourism related and college traffic west of the Pioneer Valley (Shelburne Falls, Mount Greylock, Williams College...).

I took a look at the volumes from I-91 all the way to NY.  I stand by my statement.  Contrary to your statement, there IS traffic between Pittsfield and Northampton (approximately twice as much as between North Adams and Greenfield).

Sure, MA 2 has tourism traffic (college traffic is more limited...the college in North Adams isn't THAT big).  But it's not enough to overcome the Pittsfield-Northampton traffic.

RobbieL2415

What is this about an MA 8 freeway to the Vermont line? What crack needs to be smoked to have that next to a US 7 freeway? Western MA 9 is equally absurd - and meanwhile, no western extension of MA 2.
And am I to understand that MA 13 and 31 were both to be freeways, along with MA 12? What is this frippery?

Would like to point out that CT/MA/VT 8 ends at an unsuspecting intersection with VT/NH 9, Searsburg, VT.
https://goo.gl/maps/Jp8k6xBfqt195h4b8

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on December 07, 2020, 12:55:37 PM

Would like to point out that CT/MA/VT 8 ends at an unsuspecting intersection with VT/NH 9, Searsburg, VT.
https://goo.gl/maps/Jp8k6xBfqt195h4b8
Maybe the map just doesn't show Northern New England.

Rothman

Quote from: froggie on December 07, 2020, 08:43:45 AM
Quote from: Rothman on December 05, 2020, 09:52:20 PM

I took a look at the volumes from I-91 all the way to NY.  I stand by my statement.  Contrary to your statement, there IS traffic between Pittsfield and Northampton (approximately twice as much as between North Adams and Greenfield).

Sure, MA 2 has tourism traffic (college traffic is more limited...the college in North Adams isn't THAT big).  But it's not enough to overcome the Pittsfield-Northampton traffic.
MA 2 hits 8500 just east of Shelburne Falls.  MA 9 doesn't get nearly that much west of Williamsburg (3400).

The data appears to show what I described on MA 9:  Larger volumes on the ends, little bit in the middle.

MA 2 has larger volumes going all the way from Greenfield to Shelburne Falls and then it tapers off to North Adams (with strangely lower numbers in the state park...it's not like there's anywhere to go :D).  It's still at 5,000 west of Shelburne, still much higher than MA 9 through the hilltowns.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.