News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NY-27 Atlantic Expressway

Started by fmendes, March 09, 2021, 09:42:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

storm2k

Quote from: Mike2357 on August 14, 2021, 08:04:43 PM
The subway line would be modified to wrap around the spiral parking lot in the opposite direction, both horizontally and vertically, similar to the double helix structure of DNA. Regardless, cars and roads should always take priority over public transportation.

Why?

Mike2357

To make both fit. Removing, or leaving planned roads unbuilt is destroying the essence of NYC. Every car deserves a parking spot.
Interstate Highways are what define the United States of America

Roadgeek Adam

No they don't. There's a better argument for eliminating all cars south of 125 in Manhattan outside of the FDR Drive & West Side Highway
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

TheDon102

Quote from: Mike2357 on August 15, 2021, 09:59:20 AM
To make both fit. Removing, or leaving planned roads unbuilt is destroying the essence of NYC. Every car deserves a parking spot.

Here's a realistic proposal for you, an elevated mid manhattan expressway in 3-3-3-3 local express configuration with 6 lane service roads to the side, 12 lanes until at least riverhead where you then have a 24 lane bridge connecting North shore to Rhode island, also the median must be at least 50 feet, mass transit is BANNED from using the median

Lower Manhattan Expressway (I-78) also in  3-3-3-3 configuration to the BQE, where it will then bisect the neighborhood of bushwick with 12 lanes with service roads until the nassau expressway! 78 will then cut through the city of long beach and jones beach to connect it to NY-27 via a bridge through Massapequa. 78 will then destroy all the south shore towns until it reaches the freeway section in Suffolk County. 78 will then go through the hamptoms and montauk to connect to another bridge connecting the south shore to New Shoreham, Martha's Vineyard and Cape Cod.

:bigass:  /s

Mike2357

YES PLEASE!!! That gap in 495 between the midtown and Lincoln tunnel is driving me nuts. But it should be 5-5-5-5. You are forgetting the Manhattan bridge spur (I-878) that would also connect to I-278. The Holland tunnel should also be 3-5 lanes in each direction with a 70 mph speed limit inside. Of they don't ever build that 10 story high 20 lane freeway across Manhattan, then they better redesignate route 495 in NJ because it has no right to have the honor of being 495, when it is nothing compared to that lovely long island expressway. Also, after 495 is extended through the northfork and into Connecticut, and 78 extended to montauk point, I also want a Transfork expressway from around Southold, through shelter island, ending at I-78. This would only need to be 5 lanes on each side. And for heaven's sake PLEASE extend I-287 across the sound from Rye to Oyster Bay and along the Seaford Oyster Bay Expressway to (almost) complete the beltway around NYC, is that too much to ask for???

TheDon102

Quote from: TheDon102 on August 15, 2021, 02:15:47 PM

Here's a realistic proposal for you, an elevated mid manhattan expressway in 3-3-3-3 local express configuration with 6 lane service roads to the side, 12 lanes until at least riverhead where you then have a 24 lane bridge connecting North shore to Rhode island, also the median must be at least 50 feet, mass transit is BANNED from using the median

Lower Manhattan Expressway (I-78) also in  3-3-3-3 configuration to the BQE, where it will then bisect the neighborhood of bushwick with 12 lanes with service roads until the nassau expressway! 78 will then cut through the city of long beach and jones beach to connect it to NY-27 via a bridge through Massapequa. 78 will then destroy all the south shore towns until it reaches the freeway section in Suffolk County. 78 will then go through the hamptoms and montauk to connect to another bridge connecting the south shore to New Shoreham, Martha's Vineyard and Cape Cod.

Next for Queens, Throggs Neck Bridge twinned, 12 lanes for the clearview until GCP interchange, where the Clearview will add two lanes and go into local express lanes until the nassau where it will terminate at JFK Airport. Van Wyck Expressway, 12 lanes until Whitestone Expwy when it will connect to a new Whitestone bridge which holds 12 lanes. Jackie Robinson Parkway widening to 8 lanes, built to Belt Parkway in Sheepshead Bay. BQE rebuilt to 8 lanes, with auxiliary lanes when needed. Interboro Expressway built from the mid manhattan tunnel to the Nassau expressway  :banghead:. Woodhaven blvd converted into an expressway along with queens blvd. All subway lines destroyed using the ashes of robert moses as an igniter.  :spin:

For the Bronx, Deegan Expressway widening from 6 to 8 lanes, with additional lanes at CBX interchange. Throgs Neck Expressway widened from 6 to 12 lanes in local expressway configuration, Cross Bronx Expressway widened to 14 lanes with added ROW for an additional 10 lanes, Sheridan expressway built from Bruckner to New England thruway. City Line expressway built 8 lanes from New England Thruway to Henry Hudson parkway.  :spin:

For Staten Island, Staten Island Expressway widened from 8 lanes to at least 12, with an additional  hov lane and 2 HOT lanes, West Shore Expressway widened from 4 to 8 lanes (DONT USE THE MEDIAN!!!). Including a new bridge connecting Tottenville to Keyport. Richmond parkway extended beyond the SIE to a new bridge connecting North Shore of Staten Island with lower manhattan, also build westway (I-478) to at least the Governor Mario Cuomo Bridge upgrading the saw mill parkway to a super highway!!  :spin: and then continue until you hit 684!

CARS CARS CARS CARS CARS
:spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin:
/s

TheDon102

Quote from: Mike2357 on August 15, 2021, 02:35:40 PM
YES PLEASE!!! That gap in 495 between the midtown and Lincoln tunnel is driving me nuts. But it should be 5-5-5-5. You are forgetting the Manhattan bridge spur (I-878) that would also connect to I-278. The Holland tunnel should also be 3-5 lanes in each direction with a 70 mph speed limit inside. Of they don't ever build that 10 story high 20 lane freeway across Manhattan, then they better redesignate route 495 in NJ because it has no right to have the honor of being 495, when it is nothing compared to that lovely long island expressway. Also, after 495 is extended through the northfork and into Connecticut, and 78 extended to montauk point, I also want a Transfork expressway from around Southold, through shelter island, ending at I-78. This would only need to be 5 lanes on each side. And for heaven's sake PLEASE extend I-287 across the sound from Rye to Oyster Bay and along the Seaford Oyster Bay Expressway to (almost) complete the beltway around NYC, is that too much to ask for???

Robert Moses would be so proud. :love:

Mike2357

Robert Moses was the Savior of NYC, and all those against more interstate Highways will face negative karma as they drive on the existing roads...

Mike2357

Also, in addition to I-278 being extended west to the GSP in Kelinworth, to I-78 at route 24, along route 24 to I-287, it should also go to I-80 in Ruxbury, then along route 15 in NJ northwest to I-84 in Pennsylvania. It would be 10 lanes each side in NYC, 8 lanes each side in NJ, and 5 lanes each side in the small stretch in PA. The George Washington Bridge would get an additional deck, for commercial vehicles ONLY. The upper for both, and the middle only for cars. The Hutchinson river parkway would be straightened out and designated I-678 all the way to I-684. A cross brooklyn expressway would be built from 6th Avenue Exit on the Gowanus expwy, right by brooklyn college (my school) and meeting I-78 and the belt parkway at a triple merge at the southeast brooklyn queens border. Route 111 in Manorville should be upgraded to an expressway and a tunnel with 15 lanes on each side would be built from New Haven CT to the Williamsburg floyd parkway in Long island, all would be an extension of I-91. A spur, I-795 would connect from Bridgeport CT, to the Sagikos PKWY in Long Island, but would only have 7 lanes each side.

TheDon102

Quote from: Mike2357 on August 15, 2021, 03:05:07 PM
Also, in addition to I-278 being extended west to the GSP in Kelinworth, to I-78 at route 24, along route 24 to I-287, it should also go to I-80 in Ruxbury, then along route 15 in NJ northwest to I-84 in Pennsylvania. It would be 10 lanes each side in NYC, 8 lanes each side in NJ, and 5 lanes each side in the small stretch in PA. The George Washington Bridge would get an additional deck, for commercial vehicles ONLY. The upper for both, and the middle only for cars. The Hutchinson river parkway would be straightened out and designated I-678 all the way to I-684. A cross brooklyn expressway would be built from 6th Avenue Exit on the Gowanus expwy, right by brooklyn college (my school) and meeting I-78 and the belt parkway at a triple merge at the southeast brooklyn queens border. Route 111 in Manorville should be upgraded to an expressway and a tunnel with 15 lanes on each side would be built from New Haven CT to the Williamsburg floyd parkway in Long island, all would be an extension of I-91. A spur, I-795 would connect from Bridgeport CT, to the Sagikos PKWY in Long Island, but would only have 7 lanes each side.

Are you doing this for a class or something? Like what do you gain by trolling on here?

Mike2357

This isn't trolling. Traffic in this country needs to be eliminated at all costs once and for all. You should visit my thread on proposed tri state highway extensions, this barely scratches the surface.

Mike2357

I needed to up my Lexapro after learning that I-76 doesn't include the Atlantic city expressway.

Rothman

This thread has gone to the dogs.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Mike2357

Speaking of the Atlantic Expressway OP idea (quite brilliant btw), the number of Lanes I-78 would have would be as follows:

New Jersey: 5 Lanes Each Side, including Holland tunnel
Lower Manhattan Expressway: 10 Lanes Each side
Bushwick Expressway: 8 Lanes Each side
Nassau Expressway: 7 Lanes Each side
Sunrise in Nassau: 6 Lanes Each side
Sunrise in Suffolk: 5 Lanes Each Side

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Mike2357

Quote from: 1 on August 15, 2021, 04:22:22 PM
Quote from: NE2 on August 15, 2021, 04:16:28 PM
You forgot Poland.

It's on I-86.

I-86 should be extended east along NY route 17 (how long does it take them to upgrade lol) to the thruway, past I-87 and end at the palisades parkway. Maybe a super tunnel through the route 6 corridor mountain ranges could carry 86 even further somewhere I Connecticut, helping to relieve some traffic around Hartford.

seicer

This should be moved to the fictional highways category since that's all this has become.

Mike2357

I didn't start this thread, but I agree, 99% of any highway discussion in NYC should be in fictional because only 1% of highways were actually built, so I hope it does get moved.

seicer

This is for current, future, and past highway discussion - not for fictional conversations that you've been flooding this thread with (no offense). You should look into the Fictional Highways board for your posts: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?board=20.0

RobbieL2415

OT, but's always bothered me that one has to take the 7/42nd St. Shuttle from Grand Central to Times Square, then transfer to a 1/2/3 train just to get to Penn Station.

Once the East Side Access project is done, just one transfer from MNRR to LIRR will be need to get there.

I would prefer that the MNRR Park Ave Line be extended to Penn so that everyone can get a one-seat ride, but that would be way more expensive.

D-Dey65

Quote from: TheDon102 on August 15, 2021, 02:43:27 PM
Next for Queens, Throggs Neck Bridge twinned,
On a more serious note, is this still really necessary now that the toll plaza is all-electronic?

For the Bronx, Deegan Expressway widening from 6 to 8 lanes, with additional lanes at CBX interchange. Throgs Neck Expressway widened from 6 to 12 lanes in local expressway configuration, Cross Bronx Expressway widened to 14 lanes with added ROW for an additional 10 lanes, Sheridan expressway built from Bruckner to New England thruway. City Line expressway built 8 lanes from New England Thruway to Henry Hudson parkway.  :spin:
The Sheridan Expressway is the one thing I can agree with. If hypothetically, the City Line Expressway were to be built, it would be better off only going as far as the New York State Thruway (though I can't be 100% sure about the interchange configuration).

For Staten Island, Staten Island Expressway widened from 8 lanes to at least 12, with an additional  hov lane and 2 HOT lanes, West Shore Expressway widened from 4 to 8 lanes (DONT USE THE MEDIAN!!!). Including a new bridge connecting Tottenville to Keyport. Richmond parkway extended beyond the SIE to a new bridge connecting North Shore of Staten Island with lower manhattan, also build westway (I-478) to at least the Governor Mario Cuomo Bridge upgrading the saw mill parkway to a super highway!!  :spin: and then continue until you hit 684!
Aw, hell just revive the extension of the Korean War Veterans Memorial Parkway to the revised Todt Hill Interchange, and maybe upgrade it as an expressway. Also, revive the Wolf Hill Parkway, South Shore Parkway. and extend the West Shore Expressway north towards the Bayonne Bridge. And rebuild and relocate the Eltingville Transit Center. Don't demolish it.  The only other crossings that should be built on Staten Island is a replacement for the current Outerbridge Crossing, and the St. George Subway Tunnel.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Pete from Boston on March 09, 2021, 10:18:45 AM
Where oh where does Interstate 91, a north-south road in New England, come into this?
Through the formerly proposed Suffolk County Road 101 extension. Didn't you know the proposal for the Atlantic Expressway included CR 101 north of NY 27?

That's actually the thing that bothers me about it. The road should've just stayed on the South Shore and be extended into Amagansett instead. From there you could just link up to the Montauk Point State Parkway as is.

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on August 16, 2021, 02:22:22 PM
OT, but's always bothered me that one has to take the 7/42nd St. Shuttle from Grand Central to Times Square, then transfer to a 1/2/3 train just to get to Penn Station.
For some reason, that doesn't really bother me.

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on August 16, 2021, 02:22:22 PM
Once the East Side Access project is done, just one transfer from MNRR to LIRR will be need to get there.

I would prefer that the MNRR Park Ave Line be extended to Penn so that everyone can get a one-seat ride, but that would be way more expensive.
Well, there is the proposed Penn Station Access project, but that would only benefit the Hudson and New Haven Lines.

Also, we know this thread is going to be transferred to the Fictional Highways board at some point, but since it includes a lot of topics, perhaps it should be broken up once the thread is transferred.

bluecountry

Are you crazy?  That would destroy the city.

TheDon102

Quote from: bluecountry on September 12, 2021, 10:23:01 PM

Are you crazy?  That would destroy the city.

For some reason people are taking that post incredibly seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.