News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Sports season changes

Started by Poiponen13, August 23, 2023, 12:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 11, 2023, 01:46:45 PM

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 11, 2023, 01:33:59 PM
In 2025 all sports rivalries will be played on Flag Day. All refs will throw twice as many penalties as usual because it is Flag Day.

What does that mean? I just threw a funny proposal to play "natural rivalries" on Easter. This has been on my mind about three years.

All US sports games will commence at at 2:15 AM, local time.  DST will not be observed.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Poiponen13

Quote from: kphoger on September 11, 2023, 01:48:57 PM

In 2025 all sports rivalries will be played on Flag Day. All refs will throw twice as many penalties as usual because it is Flag Day.

What does that mean? I just threw a funny proposal to play "natural rivalries" on Easter. This has been on my mind about three years.

All US sports games will commence at at 2:15 AM, local time.  DST will not be observed.
You still post nonsense. Do you think that playing natural rivalries on Easter would be good and imitates NFL Thanksgiving games?

hotdogPi

Serious question: Will any baseball games have the eclipse next year happen during the game?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1 on September 11, 2023, 01:54:35 PM
Serious question: Will any baseball games have the eclipse next year happen during the game?

In theory it's quite possible as that Monday may be a home opener for some teams who like to have afternoon home openers. I don't believe most teams have announced game times though yet which usually come after the schedule has been announced.

kphoger

Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 11, 2023, 01:51:34 PM

You still post nonsense. Do you think that playing natural rivalries on Easter would be good and imitates NFL Thanksgiving games?

All sports rivalries will be played on Saint Valentine's Day.  All participating coaches will perform the Aira Fortuna from Mozart's Il sogno di Scipione [K. 126] before play begins.  Booing will be prohibited.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on September 11, 2023, 02:04:09 PM

All sports rivalries will be played on Saint Valentine's Day.  All participating coaches will perform the Aira Fortuna from Mozart's Il sogno di Scipione [K. 126] before play begins.  Booing will be prohibited.

Use of the standard poncho will, of course, be mandatory.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

GaryV

Quote from: kphoger on September 11, 2023, 10:55:22 AM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 11, 2023, 09:14:47 AM

Quote from: DTComposer on August 31, 2023, 09:29:27 PM
I just don't see it happening - with college football as it is, any player with NFL potential will get a scholarship, the opportunity for a college education if they want, now with NIL rules they'll get a piece of the action, and if they're good enough they'll get drafted. That's the minor league system.

Any minor league outside of that will be made up of D1 washouts, D2 players, and NFL players past their prime, as has been the case with previous attempts. The level of competition would get blown out by your top D1 teams - and since every market of significant size already has a rooting interest in an NFL and/or D1 team, there's no value added by bringing in what's essentially a Group of Five team.

MLB should play rivalries on Easter. It falls on the early season and natural rivalries would be played on this day.

Baseballs should be blue.

That way they can be seen in the snow when they play games on Easter.

DTComposer

I do not. For one, the only "regular" Thanksgiving football game is Detroit-Dallas - all other games rotate between teams and are often not rivalries. In fact, Detroit-Dallas isn't really a rivalry - just a game that happens to be on the same day each season. (neither team's Wikipedia articles lists the other team in their "rivalries" section)

Two, as mentioned above, it would require shifting the regular season back a week to accommodate all possible Easter dates, and with the weather that time of year, there would be more possibilities of postponements/delays/etc.

Three, Easter is still for the most part a religious holiday - even if non-Christians use it as an excuse to get the family together, have an egg hunt, etc., it is the most Christian holiday on the American calendar, and I don't think tying a sporting event to it makes sense. (I acknowledge there's a lot of sports on Christmas, but Christmas is celebrated on a secular level to a much greater extent than Easter)

If you really want a holiday for baseball, Memorial Day makes the most sense. It's a Federal Holiday, weather is good, it's American.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: DTComposer on September 11, 2023, 03:47:30 PM

I do not. For one, the only "regular" Thanksgiving football game is Detroit-Dallas - all other games rotate between teams and are often not rivalries. In fact, Detroit-Dallas isn't really a rivalry - just a game that happens to be on the same day each season. (neither team's Wikipedia articles lists the other team in their "rivalries" section)

Detroit and Dallas both host Thanksgiving games every year--they don't play each other.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

DTComposer

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on September 11, 2023, 03:56:02 PM

Detroit and Dallas both host Thanksgiving games every year--they don't play each other.

Oh boy, you're totally right. Don't know how I got that conflated - thank you for the correction.

1995hoo

Three, Easter is still for the most part a religious holiday - even if non-Christians use it as an excuse to get the family together, have an egg hunt, etc., it is the most Christian holiday on the American calendar, and I don't think tying a sporting event to it makes sense. (I acknowledge there's a lot of sports on Christmas, but Christmas is celebrated on a secular level to a much greater extent than Easter)

To that end, I remember during the 2003 Stanley Cup Playoffs the NHL scheduled the Washington Capitals to host home games on both the first night of Passover and the afternoon of Easter Sunday; the latter game went three overtimes. Attendance suffered for both games and ownership was decidedly displeased about it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Poiponen13

Two, as mentioned above, it would require shifting the regular season back a week to accommodate all possible Easter dates, and with the weather that time of year, there would be more possibilities of postponements/delays/etc.

If you really want a holiday for baseball, Memorial Day makes the most sense. It's a Federal Holiday, weather is good, it's American.
In Europe, soccer leagues at different levels play many games at Easter weekend - leagues in England except Premier League play whole round at Good Friday and another on Easter Monday. US soccer leagues should also play annual Easter rounds.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 11, 2023, 02:02:02 PM
Quote from: 1 on September 11, 2023, 01:54:35 PM

In theory it's quite possible as that Monday may be a home opener for some teams who like to have afternoon home openers. I don't believe most teams have announced game times though yet which usually come after the schedule has been announced.

What did they do in 2017? It wasn't opening day or anything, just a regular Monday, but I could imagine that there was some schedule shifting.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kphoger

Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 12, 2023, 10:19:33 AM
In Europe, soccer leagues at different levels play many games at Easter weekend - leagues in England except Premier League play whole round at Good Friday and another on Easter Monday.

So what?  You may (or may not) have noticed that the USA is not in Europe, nor is it England.
Male pronouns, please.

Poiponen13

Quote from: kphoger on September 12, 2023, 10:35:00 AM
In Europe, soccer leagues at different levels play many games at Easter weekend - leagues in England except Premier League play whole round at Good Friday and another on Easter Monday.

So what?  You may (or may not) have noticed that the USA is not in Europe, nor is it England.
Most countries in Europe play games at Easter. But why US doesn't?

Big John

The Declaration of Independence confirmed that.

GaryV

Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 12, 2023, 10:38:36 AM

Some US leagues do. For instance the NBA has 12 gamed scheduled on Good Friday and 10 games scheduled on Easter, 2024.

So stop posting what you don't know about.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: GaryV on September 12, 2023, 10:47:15 AM

Some US leagues do. For instance the NBA has 12 gamed scheduled on Good Friday and 10 games scheduled on Easter, 2024.

All 30 MLB teams will be playing on Easter in 2024.

Poiponen13

Do US cand Canadian soccer leagues play games at Easter? At least in Canada, Easter usually is the start of season, so a few games could be played on Easter Monday. Also, Canada Day could have whole round in Canadian leagues, including Canadian Premier League.

GaryV

Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 12, 2023, 11:13:02 AM

Do US cand Canadian soccer leagues play games at Easter? At least in Canada, Easter usually is the start of season, so a few games could be played on Easter Monday. Also, Canada Day could have whole round in Canadian leagues, including Canadian Premier League.
So now you want us to do the research for you, and look up every sport?

We pointed out 2 examples that contradict your fallacy that US teams don't play at Easter. You can find the rest.

epzik8

Not to mention NASCAR has recently resumed Easter racing.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

1995hoo

The majority of MLS games are played on Saturday for various reasons, including the current TV deal.

Poiponen13

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 12, 2023, 11:49:17 AM
The majority of MLS games are played on Saturday for various reasons, including the current TV deal.
So are games in England, but Premier League plays a few games every Sunday, one game in most Mondays, one game in some Fridays  and a few games each in both Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday in rounds that are played entirely on weekdays (usually 2-4 such rounds from total 38). The second-tier Championship plays one game every Friday, one game on some Sundays, one game on Mondays when Premier League doesn't play and equal number of games on Tuesdays and Wednesdays in midweek rounds. From third-tier League One down, almost every game takes place either at 3.00pm local time on Saturdays or 7.45pm on Tuesdays.

1995hoo

I don't think anybody here, other than apparently you, gives a damn about how the Brits schedule their games. I don't think you actually care, either; you just want to have another excuse for your endless "Europe does it this way" refrain.

Poiponen13

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 12, 2023, 12:04:35 PM
I don't think anybody here, other than apparently you, gives a damn about how the Brits schedule their games. I don't think you actually care, either; you just want to have another excuse for your endless "Europe does it this way" refrain.
I like to look historical soccer schedules from live score sites and I nearly always think when I look at soccer league: I wish US did same. I have made many fantasy soccer schedules on Google Sheets and thought if this were real (both past and future years). So I think that it is good to have recurring Friday or Monday game, or whole round at public holiday falling on weekday.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.