Listening to the radio in order to fall asleep

Started by kevinb1994, November 11, 2018, 07:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 13, 2018, 06:53:41 AM
Quote from: 1 on November 12, 2018, 09:23:48 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on November 12, 2018, 09:17:57 PM
I was in Austin last night, in a bedroom under a flat roof, and it was pouring buckets. Slept like a log.

Rain is a relatively constant noise compared to music of any type.

However, the metal buckets hitting the roof...
Don't knock it till you've tried it.

Rain on a tin roof is LOUD; have you ever had to sleep through that?  Even rain on plastic window well covers is loud enough to keep me awake sometimes.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jon daly

The house style of "All Things Considers" grates me sometimes. In particular,I'm not sure I like the informal casualness between the anchors and expert commentators. It doesn't seem news-like.

"Hey there, expert."
"Hey."

I will listen to the top or the bottom of the hour news update and meld it with a commercial station one to get a better picture of what's going on in the world, but a lot of what is newsworthy from day to day won't become major history.

kphoger

Quote from: US71 on November 13, 2018, 01:19:21 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 13, 2018, 01:08:00 PM
Quote from: US71 on November 12, 2018, 07:35:47 PM
I have NPR classical music running.

Or you could listen to the dry, droll delivery of NPR commentators. Not much different. One of the reasons I don't care much for NPR (among many LOL) is that their hosts rarely show any emotion or passion.

Just the facts without the hyperbole. As a former newsman surely you understand that?

Yeah, I'll take my news stories without large shows of emotion, please.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on November 13, 2018, 02:07:47 PM
I was in Austin last night, in a bedroom under a flat roof, and it was pouring buckets. Slept like a log.

Rain on a tin roof is LOUD; have you ever had to sleep through that?  Even rain on plastic window well covers is loud enough to keep me awake sometimes.
We have a Plexiglas(?)-covered skylight, and that's the loudest I've ever heard - it sounds like it's raining in the house.  This was a little quieter.  But so, so soothing.

You wouldn't want a tin roof in a rainy climate anyway.  That's how you end up with a tin roof...rusted.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 13, 2018, 02:34:21 PM

We have a Plexiglas(?)-covered skylight, and that's the loudest I've ever heard - it sounds like it's raining in the house.  This was a little quieter.  But so, so soothing.

You wouldn't want a tin roof in a rainy climate anyway.  That's how you end up with a tin roof...rusted.

When I've slept under a tin roof (northern Mexico), it wasn't in a rainy climate–but that doesn't mean it never rains there.  When a rainstorm does come through, it's anything but soothing.

I used to have a roommate who grew up in Mexico City.  When he was little, they lived in a house with a tin roof, but then they moved into a house with a concrete roof.  He remembers arguing with his brother in the new house, because his brother told him it was raining outside.  He refused to believe it was raining outside because he couldn't hear any rain on the roof from inside the house.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on November 13, 2018, 03:02:20 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on November 13, 2018, 02:34:21 PM

When I've slept under a tin roof (northern Mexico), it wasn't in a rainy climate–but that doesn't mean it never rains there.  When a rainstorm does come through, it's anything but soothing.

Have you ever had a B-52 go over your head before? :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 14, 2018, 07:46:36 AM

During the annual air show here in Wichita (home of McConnell AFB), it's always roll of the dice if the kids will be awakened from their nap by the jets screaming by overhead.  I swear, some kids can sleep through anything, though.
Male pronouns, please.

US71

I live near an airport, so I get to hear the National Guard when they are out on maneuvers.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on November 14, 2018, 01:08:57 PM

During the annual air show here in Wichita (home of McConnell AFB), it's always roll of the dice if the kids will be awakened from their nap by the jets screaming by overhead.  I swear, some kids can sleep through anything, though.
So glad we live too far north for this to be a concern during next year's Air and Water Show...

allniter89

I listen to NPR or BBC I keep the volume just loud enough to understand. I can usually set the timer for an nour & it turns off.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

TheHighwayMan3561

I can't set timers for things to turn off because I will be anticipating said object deactivating itself instead of focusing on sleep.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I've had a radio to go to sleep since I was 7 years old. It was music when I was kid (rock, classical, country, I tried it all), but since I was 11 or 12, it's been "talk radio" since. By talk radio, I mean news broadcasts, old radio serials, but mostly sports talk for the last 30 years.

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

US71

Quote from: allniter89 on November 14, 2018, 08:10:38 PM
I listen to NPR or BBC I keep the volume just loud enough to understand. I can usually set the timer for an nour & it turns off.

NPR/ Beethoven Radio Network
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

wanderer2575

Classical music, or just white noise.  I'm always happy to have the sound of a fan running somewhere.

ErmineNotyours

I can often lie awake wired unable to go to sleep.  And then when I want to actually listen to LA Theater Works, I fall asleep.  I can tell I've fallen asleep because suddenly the plot doesn't make any sense.

US 81

I grew up in a very rural area. Loved falling asleep to the crickets, amphibians and wind, with the occasional coyote or owl. As a young adult I would listen to classical - but then then local NPR affiliate changed format and started playing jazz at night instead, which I did not find relaxing.  Used a box fan for many years as white noise, especially while working night shift.

Now I tend to play audio books, podcasts or Netflix - familiar shows that I can just listen to, not usually something new to me while in bed. I do like to set a timer or to have the app set to play the feature and stop. If I wake up in the night, I just start the next episode....

kphoger

Quote from: US 81 on November 19, 2018, 10:42:54 AM
I grew up in a very rural area. Loved falling asleep to the crickets, amphibians and wind, with the occasional coyote or owl.

The absolute worst is donkeys in heat.  Had to try and sleep through that for three nights in a row a couple of years ago.
Male pronouns, please.

roadman

Quote from: kphoger on November 19, 2018, 01:54:02 PM
I grew up in a very rural area. Loved falling asleep to the crickets, amphibians and wind, with the occasional coyote or owl.

The absolute worst is donkeys in heat.  Had to try and sleep through that for three nights in a row a couple of years ago.
Ever live with a cat in heat?
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

abefroman329

Quote from: roadman on December 06, 2018, 10:40:10 AM

I've heard stray cats in heat.  Donkeys in heat have to be worse.

kphoger

Quote from: roadman on December 06, 2018, 10:40:10 AM

At the last house we lived in, the previous tenant must have either had a cat and left it or been feeding a stray cat.  When we moved in, the cat hung around the house and meowed all the time.  So we decided to put something out for her to eat and drink every so often, and she just kept staying around the house.  Then we found out she hadn't been spayed, because she went into heat and began caterwauling on the sidewalk at all hours.  We then decided to take for a little drive out to the country.  We dropped her off in a spot between three farmhouses, hoping she might find a new place to live.  Then we drove the 20 miles back home again, only to find...... another cat that looked just like her in the dark, sitting on the front porch.  For a second, we couldn't figure out how she'd beaten us home.

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 06, 2018, 11:21:35 AM
Donkeys in heat have to be worse.

The difference in volume is no contest.
Male pronouns, please.

adventurernumber1

I used to battle insomnia a few years ago, but I have now been on a psychiatric medication that induces drowsiness right after I take it, so I no longer have to worry about not being able to fall asleep at night. I take it every night before bed, and I am knocked out for a several good hours. Back when I had insomnia, I never knew what quite to do to make it any easier to get to sleep, so I never tried listening to radio or anything, although I may should have.

Four years ago back in 9th Grade, I pulled an all-nighter as a result of strenuous schoolwork; that afternoon when I got back home from school, I lied down in bed and listened to "My Sweet Lady" by John Denver on my phone. I unintentionally fell asleep (this was around 4:00), and I did not wake up until 12:00 A.M. (since my parents and brother were busy away from home that evening). Since the song was on repeat, and my phone was charging, it was still playing when I woke up that night.

I don't have a fan in my own room, but whenever I have slept over at friends' houses (many of whose rooms would have fans), I would always find it very relaxing, calming, and nice to fall asleep with a fan going.

Quote from: hbelkins on November 12, 2018, 02:22:30 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on November 11, 2018, 07:44:05 PM
smooth jazz

What's the difference between smooth jazz and regular jazz?

IIRC, along with what everyone else has said, Smooth Jazz is a genre of music that is a mixture of the genres of Jazz Fusion (a blend of jazz, rock, funk, and more) and Easy Listening music. It does have a more polished feel than regular jazz, as noted, and it is also a much more recent (contemporary) development than regular jazz, which has been around for quite a while now (perhaps a century or more).
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.