News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Are we heading for a market crash?

Started by tradephoric, November 19, 2018, 02:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tradephoric

To highlight the slow recovery this economy has been experiencing, here is a graph of the percent job losses relative to peak employment.  This recovery just returned to peak employment but it took a long time to get there. 

We also have historically low unemployment rates and high consumer confidence right now... which are more signs that we may have reached the peak of this business cycle.  While these indicators suggest everything looks good right now... these indicators always look good right before a crash.

hbelkins

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 21, 2018, 05:48:15 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on November 21, 2018, 05:36:01 PMLOL it sounds like it wanted you to refer to him as a hillbilly.
Certainly not. That would be a personal attack, and personal attacks are expressly forbidden.

No, it was meant to be a comment on my weight. I'm quite proud of my rural heritage and wouldn't think of changing it.

When you have nothing else, make personal attacks. (See his personal comment, which is aimed at me because he complained about my anti-Hillary tag line and it got all such personal comments banned.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

I have thought for the last few years that there would be a crash in or before 2020. However, it seems like late 2021 to early 2022 is more likely, based on your graphs (especially the ones in earlier pages of this thread). Maybe slow growth means more time between recessions.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on November 22, 2018, 12:37:55 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on November 21, 2018, 05:48:15 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on November 21, 2018, 05:36:01 PMLOL it sounds like it wanted you to refer to him as a hillbilly.
Certainly not. That would be a personal attack, and personal attacks are expressly forbidden.

No, it was meant to be a comment on my weight. I'm quite proud of my rural heritage and wouldn't think of changing it.

When you have nothing else, make personal attacks. (See his personal comment, which is aimed at me because he complained about my anti-Hillary tag line and it got all such personal comments banned.)
What makes you think it's aimed at you? That's a serious charge and you don't have any evidence to support it.

tradephoric

It can be dangerous to rely entirely on technical analysis.  Since 1990 the 1-year moving average of the DJIA has crossed below the 2-year moving average just 3 times (in 2001, 2008, and 2016).  When this crossover occurred in 2016 you could have made the case that a crash was coming (since in 2001 and 2008 the crossover did foresee a crash).  However, looking back i'd equate the 2016 crossover to the 1998 and 2006 "failed" crossover.  You have a period in the bull run where the market looses steam and wants to retest that 2-year moving average, only to have one more big run up before the actual crash occurs.  Well we had the big run up from 2016-2018, and now it looks like we are primed for another crash.  Today's price action really does reflect the price action from late 2007.. just like in 2007 we just had a failed double top and now it appears the 1-year and 2-year moving averages are getting ready to converge.  And the recession indicators of today are similar to the recession indicators from 2007.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on November 22, 2018, 12:37:55 PMhe complained about my anti-Hillary tag line and it got all such personal comments banned
This isn't true. Mods and admins have told you it isn't true. Here's the thread where they tell you it's not true:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=22967.0

Repeating a lie doesn't make it magically true if you've repeated it enough times.

Roadsguy

Is this supposed to just be an experiment in unmoderated threads or something?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

abefroman329

Quote from: Roadsguy on November 22, 2018, 05:18:42 PM
Is this supposed to just be an experiment in unmoderated threads or something?
I hope the mods and admins have better things to do today.

hotdogPi

The Dow Jones isn't an accurate indicator of the entire economy.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

tradephoric

It's kind of ironic that the September 1988 cover of the economist magazine had Ten 10 2018 on the coin around the Phoenix's neck.  The beginning of this most current downturn really began on October 10, 2018 when the DOW plunged 831 points (considering the market had already recovered from the February selloff earlier in the year).

This is what the economist is saying today on how to prepare for the next global recession:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD7KNVzkLPw

tradephoric

Hillary plans on running for president in 2020.  These are comments she made during a live taping of Recode Decode at New York City's 92nd Street YMCA. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqix9h_Z1yU

Now people will say she doesn't have a shot but the Simpsons already predicted that she would become president after Donald Trump.  IMO, the only way she becomes president is if the country is in the midst of a global financial crisis the likes of 2008.  Somebody better warn Trump not to invest in children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtparSnQhFc

SSOWorld

ok, the political thing has gone long enough - this subject got diluted - time to lock
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.