News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

States that have city names the same as large/fairly-sized cities from another

Started by adventurernumber1, August 20, 2014, 10:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: english si on August 22, 2014, 06:41:32 PM
Fife's a county/region/ancient kingdom, not a city.

I meant to point that out in my original post but somehow, in one of my many ctrl-z's, I removed it. Whoops.

Regardless, this thread is about cities and not city/counties, so I suppose my point is moot anyways.

tidecat

Quote from: hbelkins on August 21, 2014, 12:41:08 PM
Lots of small towns in Kentucky have the same name as other, larger cities.

The joke around here is that if anyone goes to London, they're going to see the queen.

Dayton, Ky. is a suburb of Cincinnati, but I doubt it ever gets confused with Dayton, Ohio.

Someone upthread mentioned Lexington VA/NC/SC. Lexington, Ky. and Lexington, Va., are both served by I-64 and US 60.

We even have a few communities named after other states: California (northern Kentucky) and Texas (central Kentucky) are two I can think of. We even have a Canada, in Pike County, and there is a state highway garage there that is commonly referred to as "Canada Maintenance."
Dayton, KY is closer to Cincinnati than Dayton, OH.

There is a Jacksonville near the Shelby/Franklin county line.

Frankfort, the state capital, is the anglicized version of Frankfurt, the city in Germany.

It has been overtaken by Lexington, but Athens (pronounced with a long "A") is in Fayette County and is a separate destination on at least one exit on I-75.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

Buck87

Tennessee also has a Dayton, and of course a Cleveland as well. And they are close enough together that they are both listed on the same sign for TN 60's exit on I-75, which was an amusing sight for this Ohioan.

a couple more...

Portsmouth (NH, OH, VA)
Bristol (mentioned in the OP as GA & TN)...also CT (where ESPN is based) and VA

roadman65

What about Columbus, OH and Columbus, IN?  When Columbus, OH was control city for I-70 in Indy they used to have to use the "OH" in addition to the "Columbus" name to avoid confusion among the two routes.  Hence that is why Washington, PA is also signed with "PA" to avoid confusion with Washington, DC.

Then you have Columbus, GA as well.

Also need I say that you have a Vancouver, WA and Vancouver, BC both along the I-5 corridor.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

GaryV

Quote from: Henry on August 21, 2014, 11:10:48 AM
Charlotte, NC and Charlotte, MI
But they're not pronounced the same.  The one in MI puts the emphasis on the last syllable.

When people started settling places, they often named their new home after the old one.  I believe Troy MI is named after Troy NY.

Other towns picked names of existing cities to hopefully gain some essence they could use in promoting themselves, which is why we see copies named London, Paris, Athens, Rome ...

And some are named after famous people, like Washington.

Brandon

Quote from: GaryV on August 23, 2014, 07:17:34 AM
Quote from: Henry on August 21, 2014, 11:10:48 AM
Charlotte, NC and Charlotte, MI
But they're not pronounced the same.  The one in MI puts the emphasis on the last syllable.

When people started settling places, they often named their new home after the old one.  I believe Troy MI is named after Troy NY.

Other towns picked names of existing cities to hopefully gain some essence they could use in promoting themselves, which is why we see copies named London, Paris, Athens, Rome ...

And some are named after famous people, like Washington.

And some where created in hopefulness, like Climax.

Yet others were simply named for places, like Grand Rapids.  Others for people and places (Fort Pontchartrain du Detroit comes to mind) and the people fell out of the name.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

bing101

Mexico city, Pampanga (Philippines suburb of San Fernando)
Mexico city , Mexico.

Wikipedia has a list of places for Santa Rosa. Not just in California.

tidecat

Quote from: Buck87 on August 22, 2014, 10:40:10 PM
Tennessee also has a Dayton, and of course a Cleveland as well. And they are close enough together that they are both listed on the same sign for TN 60's exit on I-75, which was an amusing sight for this Ohioan.

a couple more...

Portsmouth (NH, OH, VA)
Bristol (mentioned in the OP as GA & TN)...also CT (where ESPN is based) and VA
Indiana has both a Nashville and Memphis, about 70 miles apart, both located near I-65. Memphis is not at the Nashville exit, but it is signed for Columbus and Bloomington.  To get from Nashville to Memphis, you have to go through another city that shares its name with a musically-inclined city:  Austin.

Per Google maps, Louisville and Lexington in Mississippi are 70 miles apart.  Louisville and Lexington in Kentucky are 78 miles apart.  Mississippians pronounce Louisvile different, though.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

KEVIN_224

New Britain, CT (9 miles southwest of Hartford)
New Britain, PA (northwest of Philadelphia)
New Britain, NY (hamlet or village in Columbia County)

There are also several cities or towns named Middletown (CT, PA, RI and others).

I'm aware of Hartford in both ME and VT (in or by White River Junction).

US81

cpzilliacus

Centreville, Maryland and Centreville, Virginia about 90 miles apart.

Caroline County, Maryland and Caroline County, Virginia about 135 miles apart (county seat to county seat).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NWI_Irish96

Top 100 US cities that have a counterpart in Indiana:

Houston [unincorporated], Jackson Co.
Philadelphia [unincorporated], Hancock Co.
Austin, Scott Co.
Columbus, Bartholomew Co.
Memphis, Clark Co.
Denver, Miami Co.
Washington, Daviess Co.
Boston [unincorporated] Wayne Co.
Nashville, Brown Co.
Portland, Jay Co.
Long Beach, LaPorte Co.
Atlanta, Tipton Co.
Miami [unincorporated], Miami Co.
Aurora, Dearborn Co.
Lexington, Scott Co.
Greensboro [unincorporated], Henry Co.
Newark [unincorporated], Greene Co.
Lincoln, Cass Co.
Buffalo, White Co.
Chandler, Warrick Co.
Madison, Jefferson Co.
Glendale, Daviess Co.
Fremont, Steuben Co.
Richmond, Wayne Co.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

The Nature Boy

Quote from: briantroutman on August 22, 2014, 07:28:35 PM
Quote from: bing101 on August 22, 2014, 03:33:03 PM
Pittsburg,  ca and Pittsburgh,  PA.

On a more than a few occasions living in the Bay Area, I've mentioned Pittsburgh (like that my wife is a graduate of Pitt, or maybe something about the Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh, or whatever), and they assume I'm talking about Pittsburgh, CA. And when I clarify "PA" , I get this vacant sort of "Huh... there's a Pittsburg in Pennsylvania, too? Never knew that. Weird, man."

Yeah. Weird, man.

There's also a Pittsburg in New Hampshire.

Laura

Off the top of my head:

Richmond, VA and Richmond, VT. I knew a girl in undergrad (I went in VA) who used to have to always clarify that she was from Vermont and not the state capital.

Mechanicsburg - PA, MD, VA

iPhone

Pete from Boston

Monterey, Mass. 

Our  true standouts, Florida and Peru, don't qualify under the terms of this thread. 

Scott5114

St. Louis, OK.

Many of the towns along US-77 in south-central Oklahoma are named after towns in Pennsylvania, since the people who built the railroad were from Pennsylvania and used familiar names for the train stops along it. Examples include Ardmore, Paoli, and Wynnewood.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

doorknob60

Some in Oregon off the top of my head:
Detroit (MI)
Toledo (OH)
Phoenix (AZ)
Springfield (MO, MA, IL, etc.)
Rome (not really a city, but it exists; Italy)

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 10, 2014, 10:00:03 PM
St. Louis, OK.

Many of the towns along US-77 in south-central Oklahoma are named after towns in Pennsylvania, since the people who built the railroad were from Pennsylvania and used familiar names for the train stops along it. Examples include Ardmore, Paoli, and Wynnewood.

I have heard that in Northern Ohio there are Connecticut place names from when it was a part of Connecticut.  A glance at a map shows at least New London and Norwalk.

jakeroot

Quote from: doorknob60 on September 10, 2014, 10:34:15 PM
Springfield (MO, MA, IL, etc.)

I believe the Oregon Springfield was the basis for the Simpson's Springfield (based on the birthplace of Matt Groening).

CNGL-Leudimin

Andorra, Spain. Apparently named after Andorra la Vella, this is further supported by the town's full name, Andorra la Nueva (Literally 'New Andorra', while the other is 'Old Andorra'). And I've been to both!

And I can't believe no one mentioned Hollywood, FL. And don't forget both Georgias (State and country) :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 11, 2014, 05:50:59 AM
And I can't believe no one mentioned Hollywood, FL.
There's also Hollywood, AL, which I can't believe I forgot because it has the only 2t22 siren in my area.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

bing101

Quote from: freebrickproductions on September 11, 2014, 09:35:12 AM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 11, 2014, 05:50:59 AM
And I can't believe no one mentioned Hollywood, FL.
There's also Hollywood, AL, which I can't believe I forgot because it has the only 2t22 siren in my area.

True there is a Hollywood, CA and Hollywood, FL

there are 2 Brentwood, CA's One as a Los Angeles District where UCLA is Located and  Brentwood Contra Costa County.

bing101

There is a Sacramento, CA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonia_del_Sacramento

Sacramento, Uruguay

Sacramento, Kentucky

Sacramento, Nebraska

United States  Cities All From Wikipedia.

Roseville may refer to: Australia Canada United Kingdom United States Elk Grove From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Elk Grove can refer to:
Places United States All From Wikpedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Ana All cities with the name Santa Ana.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Cruz All Places with the name Santa Cruz.

Crazy Volvo Guy

I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

hbelkins

Something that amuses me is the number of places in Kentucky and West Virginia that share names with their mother state, Virginia.

Lexington, Danville and Ashland are three that I can readily think of in Kentucky. There's also a Roanoke in West Virginia.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.