News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Google Street View Car Seen In...Google Street View

Started by MikeTheActuary, December 21, 2014, 08:19:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeTheActuary

I was planning an Ingress run this morning, when I came across the following wonderfully meta sight: http://goo.gl/1moj6n   :spin:

pumpkineater2

I find it odd that they would take street view on a sidewalk that is right next to the road that is also having street view pics taken...but I'm sure there is a logical explanation. Maybe.
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

vdeane

Some colleges paid Google to take street view of their campuses.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

Some bicycle path networks have also been imaged out.  Though I haven't seen the GMSV car in any of the Twin Cities bike routes yet...

NE2

Quote from: froggie on December 22, 2014, 08:51:31 AM
Though I haven't seen the GMSV car in any of the Twin Cities bike routes yet...
You probably won't. They send someone on a bike (or camel).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

oscar

Quote from: NE2 on December 22, 2014, 09:08:14 AM

GMSV has used backpack-mounted cameras, that pedestrians (or presumably bicyclists) could use to capture ground-level imagery.  That's how it covered Iqaluit, Nunavut, avoiding the high cost of sending a camera car there and back by barge. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

busman_49

cpzilliacus

Some bicycle path networks have also been imaged out.  Though I haven't seen the GMSV car in any of the Twin Cities bike routes yet...

Google has (had?) a bicycle-drawn GSV "car" mounted in a single-axle trailer that they were going to use to image bike-only or bike/pedestrian trails.  I got a survey from them asking what should be included in the D.C. area and I suggested the Woodrow Wilson Bridge Trail, the two sections of the WB&A Trail (in Anne Arundel and Prince George's Counties) and the Sligo Creek Trail (at the time, none of the discontiguous sections of the ICC Trail were completed, nor was the Anacostia River Trail that runs east from the Navy Yard along M Street, S.E. and across the river, nor was the new "local" 11th Street Bridge, S.E. (a huge improvement over what was there before)). 

I assumed others would suggest more-"famous" trails like Mount Vernon, Custis, W&OD and Capital Crescent.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

froggie

Quote from: NE2 on December 22, 2014, 09:08:14 AM

Meaning a case similar to the OP where whatever gear mapping the bike routes catches a nearby GMSV car.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.