News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Wal Mart Plans to shut down 269 stores

Started by roadman65, January 15, 2016, 10:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on February 11, 2016, 11:40:08 PM
Quote from: vdeane on February 11, 2016, 11:21:14 PM
Quote from: cl94 on February 11, 2016, 09:52:10 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 11, 2016, 09:23:49 PM
Could be.  The stores I've been to here are around 135,000 square feet.  I know this is a lot larger than some I've seen in New York and Pennsylvania (with the notable exception of the flagship in Pittsford, New York).

Good beer prices, too.  My soft spot for Southern Tier can be satisfied for under $10 a six pack, which is a couple of bucks cheaper than the locals.

iPhone

The flagship is the only store close to that size in the "traditional" market area. Very few have a sit-down restaurant (there are 3 including the flagship). I've yet to find a store in this part of the state that has the beer selection of Wegmans (or Tops, for that matter), either. The Price Chopper flagship ("Ghetto Bistro") has that selection, but that's only one location. Don't even get me started on Hannaford's miserable beer selection.
There are a few larger stores in NY besides Pittsford.  Calkins Rd, DeWitt, and Canandaigua come to mind.

I can only hope that the Market 32 rebranding improves the rest of the Price Choppers to be more like Market Bisto in a way besides the color pallette, but I'm not holding my breath (and if they were going to rebrand them all, why not make Market Bistro part of Market 32 or all the Market 32s Market Bistro?).

I'd rather have the mirrors than the color scheme they chose. It's hideous. I do wonder if they'll make some of their larger locations in wealthier locations not a short drive from Latham Market Bistros as well (Queensbury, Burlington...). I have yet to be in a Market 32, but the Ghetto Choppers certainly need updating. Hell, I'd be fine if they just rebranded Delaware Avenue, Lansingburgh, Dix Avenue (Glens Falls), Lake George, Schenectady, and Menands to "Ghetto Chopper" and leave them unrenovated.

Price Chopper in general is really hit or miss. The ones near me suck, but the Queensbury one is amazing and always has been. I will mention that, while Hannaford has renovated most of their locations, Ghetto Chopper has not and the rebrand might bring them into the 21st Century.

The $9.99 six pack is a common thing. Both Western New York chains (Tops, Wegmans) have it, as does Price Chopper. Beer is one of the only things I buy at Price Chopper because they actually have decent stuff. What's nice about Price Chopper's selection is that they do a really good job of carrying at least one thing from just about all of the breweries within a couple hours (and there are a LOT).
I think the color scheme looks like Wegmans.  As someone who grew up on the Pittsford Wegmans and still thinks all other stores are vastly inferior, I like it.  Keeps me from going into Wegmans withdrawal when I'm not thinking about how Price Chopper's brand items are not nearly as good as Wegmans or how the selection is worse and the store tiny (my toothpaste isn't even available at Price Chopper but is at Wegmans).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

GCrites

Time for a road trip to Pittsburgh, Toledo or Columbus I guess.

doorknob60

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 11, 2016, 08:02:56 PM
Quote from: doorknob60 on February 07, 2016, 04:57:06 AM
And with so many other stores nearby, it's not worth becoming a frequent shopper to get the occasional great deal. Most of their prices are fairly high. For example, El Monterey frozen burritos are a good snack/lunch I buy. At Walmart and Fred Meyer the regular price is about $2.50. At Albertsons it's about $3.50, a bit higher but I can tolerate it if I'm already there. At Paul's, I was going to buy some one time and they were nearly $5! Not worth it. If I lived in a town like McCall or, say, Homedale, where Paul's was the only (or one of a couple) options, it would be more worth it. But in Nampa, I see no value in going there.

You're getting ripped off at all those places.  I only pay $1 for them @ Giant Eagle. (I can post a picture later if you don't believe me.)

We must be thinking of different quantities. I'm talking about the 8 packs that look like this:

Walmart.com lists the price, listed at $2.47 at the closest Walmart to me (some other cities I've typed in like Bend and Boise showed up at $3.42 so it looks like I'm getting a better than average deal, even for Walmart): http://www.walmart.com/ip/El-Monterey-Bean-Cheese-Burritos-8-count/15754284

If you can really find those 8 packs for $1, I'm impressed and jealous. I think even on sale, I've never seen them below $2, at any store. But I'm assuming we're just thinking about different quantities.

I will say I've lessened my anger for Paul's now. I went back into there to buy post card stamps (there's a post office inside), and they had some good sales on some things, none of which required the use of points. So I just got unlucky that one time I guess.

US71

Aldi is the same family as trader joes, but different brothers

SGH-I337

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cl94

Quote from: US71 on February 13, 2016, 09:17:14 AM
Aldi is the same family as trader joes, but different brothers

SGH-I337

Yes. They split the company into Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud. The Aldi we know in America is Sud, while Trader Joe's is owned by Nord.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

rickmastfan67

Quote from: doorknob60 on February 13, 2016, 03:25:06 AM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 11, 2016, 08:02:56 PM
Quote from: doorknob60 on February 07, 2016, 04:57:06 AM
And with so many other stores nearby, it's not worth becoming a frequent shopper to get the occasional great deal. Most of their prices are fairly high. For example, El Monterey frozen burritos are a good snack/lunch I buy. At Walmart and Fred Meyer the regular price is about $2.50. At Albertsons it's about $3.50, a bit higher but I can tolerate it if I'm already there. At Paul's, I was going to buy some one time and they were nearly $5! Not worth it. If I lived in a town like McCall or, say, Homedale, where Paul's was the only (or one of a couple) options, it would be more worth it. But in Nampa, I see no value in going there.

You're getting ripped off at all those places.  I only pay $1 for them @ Giant Eagle. (I can post a picture later if you don't believe me.)

We must be thinking of different quantities. I'm talking about the 8 packs that look like this:

Walmart.com lists the price, listed at $2.47 at the closest Walmart to me (some other cities I've typed in like Bend and Boise showed up at $3.42 so it looks like I'm getting a better than average deal, even for Walmart): http://www.walmart.com/ip/El-Monterey-Bean-Cheese-Burritos-8-count/15754284

If you can really find those 8 packs for $1, I'm impressed and jealous. I think even on sale, I've never seen them below $2, at any store. But I'm assuming we're just thinking about different quantities.

Yeah, the single ones for $1.  But, it's the high quality version, the Chimichangas.  They are pretty good.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 12, 2016, 05:45:43 PM
There are not Walmarts here inside 128
You obviously haven't been to the lower part of the North Shore as of late.  One exists in Salem (along Highland Ave./MA 107), in Lynn along the Lynnway (MA 1A), and there's a brand new one in Saugus along US 1.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Pete from Boston

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 15, 2016, 04:16:20 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 12, 2016, 05:45:43 PM
There are not Walmarts here inside 128
You obviously haven't been to the lower part of the North Shore as of late.  One exists in Salem (along Highland Ave./MA 107), in Lynn along the Lynnway (MA 1A), and there's a brand new one in Saugus along US 1.

Actually, what I did was mentally place those places outside 128, even though I was at the Saugus Walmart a couple of months ago. I believe I mentioned in some thread recently how it took 30 minutes in that store just to pick up something I had ordered online.  Even a brand spanking new Walmart still comes with the same old Walmart work ethic.

Scott5114

Funny you say that, because the last time I went to the Norman Walmart I had a weirdly positive experience. It was half past midnight, and a stock guy actually stopped what he was doing to help us get something that hadn't been restocked yet and have a little chat with us. Then when we went to the self checkout area the attendant running it was uncharacteristically cheery and helpful. I commented to my fiancee that apparently their raises had kicked in or something.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

doorknob60

Well shit, speaking of stores closing, Paul's Market is closing the Nampa and Caldwell stores, and the remaining stores to be turned into Albertson's. Less competition is never a good thing, so this is sad. And the anchor of the shopping center on 12th Ave that I pass regularly closing will be bad, and look worse visually. http://www.idahopress.com/members/paul-s-market-to-close-stores-reaches-deal-with-albertsons/article_28502447-b498-5b96-8cbf-f7805b3b7afa.html

jeffandnicole

Quote from: doorknob60 on February 16, 2016, 03:37:20 AM
Well shit, speaking of stores closing, Paul's Market is closing the Nampa and Caldwell stores, and the remaining stores to be turned into Albertson's. Less competition is never a good thing, so this is sad. And the anchor of the shopping center on 12th Ave that I pass regularly closing will be bad, and look worse visually. http://www.idahopress.com/members/paul-s-market-to-close-stores-reaches-deal-with-albertsons/article_28502447-b498-5b96-8cbf-f7805b3b7afa.html

As long as they're part of a chain, it shouldn't matter much.  Sales run chain-wide, and regular prices should be the same as well.  If a store had no competition across a wide area (say, an entire city or state) you may see higher prices as a result of no competition, but the lack of competition within a single town won't affect prices too much.  Service is always dependent on management and how much they train and instruct their employees to actually service the customer.  Many times, stores close because their competitors provided that necessary service and the customers went there instead, and it's doubtful that service aspect would suddenly change because they're the only guy in town.

cl94

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 16, 2016, 06:15:13 AM

As long as they're part of a chain, it shouldn't matter much.  Sales run chain-wide, and regular prices should be the same as well.  If a store had no competition across a wide area (say, an entire city or state) you may see higher prices as a result of no competition, but the lack of competition within a single town won't affect prices too much.  Service is always dependent on management and how much they train and instruct their employees to actually service the customer.  Many times, stores close because their competitors provided that necessary service and the customers went there instead, and it's doubtful that service aspect would suddenly change because they're the only guy in town.

Not necessarily. Some sales are regional to better compete with the stores in a particular region.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: cl94 on February 16, 2016, 02:13:19 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 16, 2016, 06:15:13 AM

Not necessarily. Some sales are regional to better compete with the stores in a particular region.

Sales circulars for most large supermarket chains in this area are limited to a select group of stores.  Market Basket issues a chain-wide circular. 

jeffandnicole

True...maybe I should've limited my comment to ads in a more regional area (ie: You're not going to find ads for nationwide chains in the PA/NJ area that features alcohol on sale). 

Pete from Boston

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 16, 2016, 02:59:59 PM
True...maybe I should've limited my comment to ads in a more regional area (ie: You're not going to find ads for nationwide chains in the PA/NJ area that features alcohol on sale).

Even there, you get chains like ShopRite (really a collective of smaller companies) that may issue circulars that only cover their ownership's territory. 

cl94

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 16, 2016, 07:51:16 PM

Even there, you get chains like ShopRite (really a collective of smaller companies) that may issue circulars that only cover their ownership's territory.

And then you get Hannaford. My circular covers four counties (the core of the Albany metro area). People commute into Albany from other ad regions.

Tops, on the other hand, seems to only have 2 for the whole chain: one for PA and west of Syracuse, one for the former Grand Union stores (and that's only because the latter don't have the facilities that are found in the main market stores).

roadman65

Speaking of closing stores, and Shop Rite, does PathMark still have any stores left open?  I know their parent corporation Supermarkets General was in bankruptcy which caused Rickel Home Centers to close all their stores, but I do remember some at the time staying open.  However the market has changed in the past twenty years, and was wondering if Pathmark still managed to keep what few stores they had as their capital is not there to compete with modern times.

Also, if they are is actor James Karen still doing their commercials?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

US71

One of my local Wal-Mart's is expanding/remodeling. IMO, the "losing money" was just an excuse
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman65 on February 16, 2016, 08:04:47 PM
Speaking of closing stores, and Shop Rite, does PathMark still have any stores left open?  I know their parent corporation Supermarkets General was in bankruptcy which caused Rickel Home Centers to close all their stores, but I do remember some at the time staying open.  However the market has changed in the past twenty years, and was wondering if Pathmark still managed to keep what few stores they had as their capital is not there to compete with modern times.

First of all, Supermarkets General (a former constituent company of ShopRite) was bought by A&P in 2007.  They went out of business last year.  Too bad–Pathmark was a better store.

James Karen is 92.  It's been a few years since I spent time down there, but I haven't seen him in ads since many years ago.

roadman65

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 16, 2016, 08:45:02 PM

First of all, Supermarkets General (a former constituent company of ShopRite) was bought by A&P in 2007.  They went out of business last year.  Too bad–Pathmark was a better store.

James Karen is 92.  It's been a few years since I spent time down there, but I haven't seen him in ads since many years ago.
Years ago yes it was part of Shop Rite.

Really, James Karen is 92.  There are some that do ads even in their old age.  Jimmy Stewart did Campell Soup commercials up to the day he died, even with studdering dialog.   Although to some of my friends he was always called Joey Pathmark as James Karen, just like Burt Mustin, Michael Ironside, Jessie White, and some other actors were known more by face then by name.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman65 on February 16, 2016, 08:53:28 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 16, 2016, 08:45:02 PM

Years ago yes it was part of Shop Rite.

Really, James Karen is 92.  There are some that do ads even in their old age.  Jimmy Stewart did Campell Soup commercials up to the day he died, even with studdering dialog.   Although to some of my friends he was always called Joey Pathmark as James Karen, just like Burt Mustin, Michael Ironside, Jessie White, and some other actors were known more by face then by name.

I don't think I've seen James Karen in anything since Any Given Sunday.  In that movie, like in every role of his if you grew up in the tri-state area, I just expected him to start in about frozen green beans.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 16, 2016, 07:51:16 PM

I get two ads for Shoprite.  The stores are in different towns, with the stores owned by different groups.  The 'core' ad is the same.  The outer or inner 2 - 4 page supplement can differ, although it tends to differ more on product placement on the page than the prices.  The ads will have a few different items, usually non-grocery related (TVs, etc).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.