News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Black Friday

Started by abefroman329, November 23, 2018, 07:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: qguy on November 30, 2018, 06:53:52 AM
In Windows, ensure number lock is on, then hold the ALT key down and type 0151 for an m-dash and 0150 for an n-dash. (It's usually expressed as ALT+0151 and ALT+0150.) Just about any alternate character, as they are known (like é, ñ, ö, ê, ç, ï, etc.), can be inserted with an ALT+4 code.

Or you can open the Character Map function and cop something fro there.

That's what I do. I have several ALT codes memorized for characters I use frequently, including the em and en dashes as well as the ellipsis...

Scott5114

Linux has this nifty option called a Compose key that you can set to take over one of the useless keys on the keyboard–say, that pointless menu key, or one of the Windows keys. (I'm using a keyboard from 1987 so I use right Alt.) This allows you to build characters up from a number of keystrokes. For example, all you have to have to do to make an em dash is hit Compose and enter three hyphens.

Most of the key entries make sense: ø is Compose + / + o, ñ is Compose + ~ + n, → is Compose + - + >, etc. Amusingly, Compose + C + C + C + P creates ☭.

Far easier than memorizing alt codes, and I don't know why any other OS hasn't implemented it, considering Unix has had it since the 80s.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.