News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

disable hover popups in Firefox

Started by agentsteel53, May 02, 2012, 12:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

anyone know of an extension which does this?  I'm sick of getting bait-and-switched.  Just now I had to retype a fairly long eBay message because they hovered a menu in front of the "send" button that trashed it. 

I dunno where this hover trend came up in recent webdesign.  I'm okay with clicking.  really.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mgk920

I've been noting 'Flash' boxes appearing when I do a text highlights on many web pages these days, but then again I use a little program called 'Flashblock' on my copy of Firefox.  It replaces Flash clips with little 'prompt' icons and if you want to see them, just click on the individual icons and they will load and play.  It also has a 'whitelist' where you can also set it to automatically load and play clips from specified websites.

It is well worth installing if you have not yet done so!

Mike

realjd

Those menus are usually coded in Javascript. Getting a plugin like NoScript should take care of it.

agentsteel53

I do use Flashblock.

does NoScript have a subcategory that changes the hover menu to appear only when clicked?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

realjd

NoScript just blocks JavaScript completely in a site-by-site basis. Some sites handle that better than others.

GreaseMonkey is another plugin that may be useful. Its a JavaScript hacking tool (for lack of a better word). It lets users modify, tweak, disable, and do other things to web pages by manipulating the JavaScript running on them. There may be a greasemonkey script to disable hover popups. If not it would be the way to go making your own if you were so inclined.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.