News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Non-freeway flyovers

Started by fillup420, January 24, 2019, 08:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadsguy

Quote from: kphoger on January 26, 2019, 05:37:58 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 26, 2019, 05:15:43 PM
FL 520 onto FL 50:

https://flic.kr/p/S7SAMN

To my eyes, that's just a three-way interchange.  Plenty of non-freeway examples of that out there;  I can think of several off the top of my head in Texas.

I'd argue that's a flyover, but the term is definitely being used very loosely in this thread. Some are just bridges and others are just trumpet interchanges with a smoother outer ramp.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Thing 342

A flyover formerly existed in Hampton, VA at the intersection of Mercury Blvd and Coliseum Drive. It was closed and demolished soon after Coliseum Mall shut down in 2007.

Photo Credit

froggie

Quote from: kphoger on January 26, 2019, 05:35:37 PM
Quote from: Bitmapped on January 26, 2019, 04:56:23 PM

Quote from: hbelkins on January 25, 2019, 10:45:50 AM
One was built for northbound KY 3 at KY 645 in Inez.

What is the point of this flyover? Neither route is particularly busy.

KY-645 is a four-lane highway, so it's not completely out of place.  But it's a great example nonetheless.

IIRC (and from past discussions with HB), it's a safety thing.  KY 3 has a decent length downhill grade, with the 3/645 junction at the bottom of the grade.  I imagine there were enough coal (or other) trucks not being able to stop in time to avoid crashing through the intersection that they put the flyover in to avoid the problem.

jay8g

US 101 and SR 117 in Port Angeles, WA is the same sort of idea.

1995hoo

Eastbound Duke Street (VA-236) has a flyover into Landmark Mall in Alexandria. The mall itself died–Sears is the only retailer still operating there, and the former Macy's space is being used as a homeless shelter. There are plans to redevelop the site, so I'd wager the city and the developers would just as soon see Sears close.

https://goo.gl/maps/FQ6c26CNDwH2
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

wriddle082

Summerlin Rd at Gladiolous Dr in Greater Ft Myers, FL (unincorporated Lee Co south of Ft Myers).  Actually two flyovers here for the two heaviest left turn moves.

https://goo.gl/maps/giiBW1YFc4S2

Stephane Dumas

There's a flyover over PQ-216 in Sherbrooke who's used as an access to the local university. https://goo.gl/maps/qqjCGgDDhDn

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on January 26, 2019, 09:21:53 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 26, 2019, 05:35:37 PM
Quote from: Bitmapped on January 26, 2019, 04:56:23 PM

Quote from: hbelkins on January 25, 2019, 10:45:50 AM
One was built for northbound KY 3 at KY 645 in Inez.

What is the point of this flyover? Neither route is particularly busy.

KY-645 is a four-lane highway, so it's not completely out of place.  But it's a great example nonetheless.

IIRC (and from past discussions with HB), it's a safety thing.  KY 3 has a decent length downhill grade, with the 3/645 junction at the bottom of the grade.  I imagine there were enough coal (or other) trucks not being able to stop in time to avoid crashing through the intersection that they put the flyover in to avoid the problem.

Yep. I don't know if this was funded as an HSIP project or not, however. The downhill grade is on KY 645 westbound, though. The issue was vehicles pulling across the eastbound lanes of 645 to stay on northbound 3/westbound 645. There was a stop condition on KY 3 northbound. Personally, I think a signal with plenty of warning and an advance flasher system for westbound 645 would have worked just as well, and for a lot less money.

The 3/645 route links US 23 south of Paintsville to US 23 north of Paintsville and gives Inez a four-lane route. I'm pretty sure it was built with some specialty resource recovery (meaning coal) funding in the 1980s.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

skluth

Quote from: Thing 342 on January 26, 2019, 08:51:57 PM
A flyover formerly existed in Hampton, VA at the intersection of Mercury Blvd and Coliseum Drive. It was closed and demolished soon after Coliseum Mall shut down in 2007.

Photo Credit

This surprised me when I lived in the area about 15 years ago. A flyover for a shopping mall. Who'd a thunk?

froggie

^ Wasn't the only mall in Virginia to have one, either.  There used to be a flyover from eastbound Mercury Blvd (US 258) to northbound Coliseum Dr to serve the former Coliseum Mall in Hampton, VA.  It was removed ca. 2007 when the mall was torn down and redeveloped.

In other states, the Mall of America in Bloomington, MN has two full semi-directional interchanges serving it (on MN 77 at both Lindau Ln and Killebrew Dr) as well as two traffic signals within the mall property itself.

And the Schuylkill Mall in Frackville, PA has its own interchange on PA 61, just south of I-81.

ErmineNotyours

The earlier reported Auburn Supermall ramp was used in radio commercials for the mall, where one person in the ad beamed, "A shopping mall with its own exit!"  And the other person gasped back "A shopping mall with its own exit!?"  No, you get off the freeway, wait at a light, and then you can take this non-freeway flyover.  I see the idea has been used at other malls.  You use regular roads to get back to the freeway.

US71

Not quite a freeway, but NB US 65 to WB US 62/412 north of Harrison, AR

https://goo.gl/maps/mtEPbojQgP82
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jakeroot

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on January 27, 2019, 10:13:53 PM
The earlier reported Auburn Supermall ramp was used in radio commercials for the mall, where one person in the ad beamed, "A shopping mall with its own exit!"  And the other person gasped back "A shopping mall with its own exit!?"  No, you get off the freeway, wait at a light, and then you can take this non-freeway flyover.  I see the idea has been used at other malls.  You use regular roads to get back to the freeway.

Haha, very cool! I used to visit the mall a lot as a kid (not early enough to visit Incredible Universe, which looked like an awesome store), but always from the south end. No fond memories of using that overpass, as it wasn't accessibly from northbound 167.

The overpass appears to be so lightly used, the signals at its eastern end are one of the few fully-incandescent signals I can think of. (Meaning, the intersection hasn't been modified at all since construction).

MCRoads

There is a flyover north of Tallahassee somewhere. There are also some flyovers near ft. Walton beach airport.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

DJ Particle

Quote from: ipeters61 on January 24, 2019, 09:01:40 PMAnd again not sure if it counts (US-50 and MD-90 are kida-sorta expressways but not really), US-50 at MD-90 near Ocean Pines MD: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.3697917,-75.2720986,742m/data=!3m1!1e3

YMMV, but I wouldn't count it... MD-90 is a Super-2 freeway until it hits the Isle of Wight...

WillWeaverRVA

VA 3 and VA 3 Business in Ferry Farm, VA, although one could argue that VA 3 becomes a (very short) freeway at this intersection as VA 3 has an interchange with VA 2/US 17 Business just over the Rappahannock River. The flyover is westbound VA 3 exiting onto itself.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: jakeroot on January 28, 2019, 12:06:55 AM
Quote from: ErmineNotyours on January 27, 2019, 10:13:53 PM

Haha, very cool! I used to visit the mall a lot as a kid (not early enough to visit Incredible Universe, which looked like an awesome store), but always from the south end. No fond memories of using that overpass, as it wasn't accessibly from northbound 167.

The overpass appears to be so lightly used, the signals at its eastern end are one of the few fully-incandescent signals I can think of. (Meaning, the intersection hasn't been modified at all since construction).

At first the signs for the ramp were marked with yellow "exit only" warnings.  It was so little used that the mall thought drivers thought they were going back on the freeway, so they had the yellow removed.  This was reported in the Valley Daily News, which seems to be unavailable online.

Beltway

Quote from: froggie on January 27, 2019, 09:51:53 PM
Wasn't the only mall in Virginia to have one, either.  There used to be a flyover from eastbound Mercury Blvd (US 258) to northbound Coliseum Dr to serve the former Coliseum Mall in Hampton, VA.  It was removed ca. 2007 when the mall was torn down and redeveloped.

This is not a flyover, but is an underpass that does the same thing, a grade-separated connection from an arterial to a shopping mall.

Parham Road to Regency Mall, west of Richmond, VA. 
https://tinyurl.com/yakdpn24
Has been resurfaced since that image was taken.

There was a second one on Quioccasin Road about 500 feet away and it is visible in that image, but it was removed a couple years ago when they built a new major entrance to the mall at that location.  Previously there was no one major entrance, just a collection of minor entrances.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jdb1234

Quote from: MCRoads on January 28, 2019, 02:36:14 AM
There is a flyover north of Tallahassee somewhere. There are also some flyovers near ft. Walton beach airport.

First thing I thought of was was US 319 southbound split from FL 61 just north of I-10.  Haven't been to Ft. Walton in a long time, but I think the FL 85/ FL 123 intersections were redone.

Quote from: wriddle082 on January 27, 2019, 09:24:57 AM
Summerlin Rd at Gladiolous Dr in Greater Ft Myers, FL (unincorporated Lee Co south of Ft Myers).  Actually two flyovers here for the two heaviest left turn moves.

https://goo.gl/maps/giiBW1YFc4S2

Alex told me about this intersection when I visited Southwest Florida back in 2016.  I actually checked this intersection out driving around Ft. Myers.

abefroman329

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 27, 2019, 09:00:13 AM
Eastbound Duke Street (VA-236) has a flyover into Landmark Mall in Alexandria. The mall itself died–Sears is the only retailer still operating there, and the former Macy's space is being used as a homeless shelter. There are plans to redevelop the site, so I'd wager the city and the developers would just as soon see Sears close.

https://goo.gl/maps/FQ6c26CNDwH2
I thought of that when I saw Thing 342's post.  Even when I used to go to Landmark back in 2001, it didn't seem like the mall was busy enough to warrant a flyover.

US71

I just remembered another one:  Business 71 to "471 Spur"/ I-49 connector
https://goo.gl/maps/1UPR9Nhq1oP2
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bzakharin

Quote from: SGwithADD on January 25, 2019, 08:25:27 AM

202 is briefly a freeway from the flyover point to I-287. Another modified circle in NJ where nothing is a freeway is NJ 73's interchange with NJ 70. Come to think of it, NJ has a bunch of full interchanges with other non-freeways, like US 130 and US 30, not to mention the 73/38/41 set of interchanges.

Roadsguy

Quote from: bzakharin on January 28, 2019, 03:05:02 PM
Quote from: SGwithADD on January 25, 2019, 08:25:27 AM
202 is briefly a freeway from the flyover point to I-287. Another modified circle in NJ where nothing is a freeway is NJ 73's interchange with NJ 70. Come to think of it, NJ has a bunch of full interchanges with other non-freeways, like US 130 and US 30, not to mention the 73/38/41 set of interchanges.

Actually, there are several business driveways between this interchange and US 22, so it qualifies for this thread.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

hbelkins

Would the loop ramp for southbound US 17 at Opal count?

https://goo.gl/maps/h7dftsoSPMx

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.