News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

'Why is it illegal to put gas in my car on a Quebec highway shoulder?'

Started by Kniwt, September 19, 2017, 10:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kniwt

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/commuting/why-is-it-illegal-to-put-gas-in-my-car-on-a-quebec-highway-shoulder/article36239376/

QuoteQ: My son-in-law ran out of gas on Highway 20 in Dorval, Que. While he was on the shoulder of the road waiting for someone to bring him a gallon of gas, a routier (Quebec highway safety patrol) truck stopped and told him it was illegal to put gas in his car on the side of the road, and he must be towed. He said that if the police came by he would get a $300 fine plus demerits, and anyone who brought him gas would get an $800 fine plus demerits. I've never heard of this and couldn't find anything on the Internet to suggest that this is true. Was this routier guy stringing him a line? ? Norm, Montcalm, Que.

A: Whether you break down, run out of gas or get a flat on highways around Montreal, you're stuck with one choice ? you have to get towed.

"That area of Highway 20 is a particularly dangerous place to run out of gas, so if someone does break down, they have to be towed to a gas station by a company that has contracted with the MTQ (Quebec Ministry of Transportation)," said Sgt. Daniel Thibaudeau, spokesman with Sûreté du Québec (SQ). "Several highways in Quebec have been designated exclusive regions for towing, and that is based on safety concerns regarding the configuration of the highway."

If you break down on one of those highways ? designated by green signs that show a tow truck and say exclusif ? you have to be towed by the company that has the contract for that zone. Each company handles only one zone, so they can arrive quickly ? within 15 minutes ? along with a routier protection truck with a flashing arrow.

ETA: Found one of the signs:

Joe The Dragon

Chris

Aren't free tows only on some toll roads where the towing or roadside assistance is considered to be part of the toll rate? For example the North Texas Tollway Authority offers free roadside assistance: http://www.drivingnorthtexas.com/there-when-you-need-it-most-nttas-free-roadside-safety-services/

Anyhow, running out of gas is preventable, so I would be surprised if they would tow you for free when that happens on a non-toll road.

dvferyance

Another stupid law that was just created so the police can write more tickets. After all since it's Quebec it dosen't surprise me.

roadman

Quote from: dvferyance on September 20, 2017, 04:33:45 PM
Another stupid law that was just created so the police can write more tickets. After all since it's Quebec it dosen't surprise me.
Actually, I suspect the law was written to give the tow companies and service stations more business.  And there's something fishy about the whole concept of a motorist services patrol that cannot legally refill gas or fix flats, but must tow the vehicle to a service station instead.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Richard3

In fact, the MTQ implemented some exclusive towing zones...

1- ...to clear the roadway fast (15 minutes out of rush hour, 30 minutes in rush hour) in some heavy traffic zones.

2- ...to prevent war between towing companies.  Around 15 years ago, there was a war between many towing companies, so the tow truck arrived, and hooked up the disabled vehicle so fast that sometimes it dropped it on the road on its way to the service station.  When two tow trucks arrived on the scene at the same time, there was some aggressivity between towing guys, and fights happened sometimes.

And by the way, exclusive towing is not free.
- How many people are working in here?
- About 20%.

- What Quebec highways and Montreal Canadiens have in common?
- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.