News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beltway

Quote from: roadman65 on March 22, 2018, 03:48:21 PM
Quote from: Beltway on March 21, 2018, 10:34:39 PM
I am trying to recall whether the bridges on the 42-mile I-95 Northeastern Expressway in Maryland were
I was real young then, as it was either 71 or 72 when we rode it.  It was at night, but I do remember the lighting on the Jersey wall in the center of the Susqhuehenna Bridge as rather than pole lighting to illuminate the deck they chose that similar to New Jersey near Newark Airport that used them on bridge railings.
I also remember Maryland House was the only service area as Chesapeake House was not yet constructed.  I wish I saw  if it were 2 lanes each way or 3.  However, you brought back memories as the family was supposed to go to California, but my mom, my sister, and myself got to go, but I got sick and we had to return home  ahead of time and my dad got jipped on his vacation as he was join us there later.  Once I got better we done a road trip down to Roanoke, VA via the Blue Ridge mountains and Gettysburg, PA.  On the way back I saw DC for the first time and we drove home via the BW Parkway to the Harbor Tunnel Thruway into I-95 then home to Clark, NJ via the NJ Turnpike.

My memories of only one service plaza are vague.  I do clearly recall at that point in the early 1970s the only two freeway routes thru the Baltimore area were the 4-lane Harbor Tunnel Thruway, and 6-lane Baltimore Beltway west of the city.  I-95 between I-495 and I-695 had been opened in 1971, but was not yet built thru the city of Baltimore.  The Baltimore Beltway east of the city had not yet been built.  The Harbor Tunnel Thruway saved about 15 miles of travel over I-695 but both highways were pretty congested in peak hours.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

roadman65

I had remembered a lot about I-95 too.  Not connecting to the Harbor Tunnel Thruway when it first opened between I-495 and I-695.  You had to cut east on I-695 and coming out of the tunnel you had to exit Harbor Tunnel Thruway at I-695 West (it was not yet signed I-895 until the early 80's). 

Back to New York we must as we are 2 states away. :bigass:
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

RobbieL2415

Quote from: signalman on March 19, 2018, 01:44:49 PM
Most of the problems that I've encountered south of Albany have been caused by left lane bandits.  I can't honestly say I've ever experienced delays due to volume on that section.  There is plenty of predatory speed enforcement by NY troopers though.  IMO, it's nearly impossible to speed too heavily with random rolling road blocks.
South of Albany? Really? West of Albany I always encounter left lane bandits.

empirestate

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 28, 2018, 08:54:52 PM
Most of the problems that I've encountered south of Albany have been caused by left lane bandits.  I can't honestly say I've ever experienced delays due to volume on that section.  There is plenty of predatory speed enforcement by NY troopers though.  IMO, it's nearly impossible to speed too heavily with random rolling road blocks.

Yeah, I'd agree with south of. As you go downstate, proper lane usage becomes less of a public priority.

cl94

Quote from: empirestate on March 28, 2018, 10:20:41 PM

Yeah, I'd agree with south of. As you go downstate, proper lane usage becomes less of a public priority.

South of Albany there's often less passing and more two lanes of cars. Lane usage isn't a priority because there isn't the capacity for proper lane usage; once you're in a lane, not much room to leave it.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Buffaboy

What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Buffaboy

I wonder if NYSTA is going to leave the remaining pavement as state trooper speed traps.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

empirestate

Quote from: cl94 on March 28, 2018, 10:37:52 PM

South of Albany there's often less passing and more two lanes of cars. Lane usage isn't a priority because there isn't the capacity for proper lane usage; once you're in a lane, not much room to leave it.

That's part of it, but also people are more used to passing in any available lane rather than primarily the left one. And that's largely because people tend to "keep middle" rather than "keep right". (The 3-lane sections of the Taconic are excellent examples of this.)

signalman

Quote from: empirestate on March 29, 2018, 01:34:54 PM

That's part of it, but also people are more used to passing in any available lane rather than primarily the left one. And that's largely because people tend to "keep middle" rather than "keep right". (The 3-lane sections of the Taconic are excellent examples of this.)
That isn't unique to the Taconic, nor is it unique to the Hudson Valley.  In my experiences, middle lane bandits pop up in any 6 laned section of freeway.  Also, in many of those jurisdictions, the middle lane camper is a LLB from a truck driver's perspective, since they aren't allowed to use the left lane.

froggie

Despite this, I would agree with signalman and empirestate's claims about the prevelence of LLB's and lack of lane discipline in the Hudson Valley.  In my experience, it's a New York thing in general (one of the top three states for such).

cl94

Quote from: froggie on March 29, 2018, 01:46:03 PM

Despite this, I would agree with signalman and empirestate's claims about the prevelence of LLB's and lack of lane discipline in the Hudson Valley.  In my experience, it's a New York thing in general (one of the top three states for such).

Of course, New York is one of the few states where "keep right except to pass" is not a thing, nor is it signed. You'll see the occasional "slower traffic keep right" signs on hills, but that's it.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

machias

Quote from: cl94 on March 29, 2018, 01:48:22 PM

Of course, New York is one of the few states where "keep right except to pass" is not a thing, nor is it signed. You'll see the occasional "slower traffic keep right" signs on hills, but that's it.

At one time the Thruway Authority had posted a lot of "Keep Right Except To Pass" signs, especially on bridge supports in the median. Have these disappeared?

Rothman

Don't know about NY being in the top three regarding LLBs, but I find it a much more prevalent epidemic in Ohio.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Quote from: upstatenyroads on March 29, 2018, 01:56:06 PM
Quote from: cl94 on March 29, 2018, 01:48:22 PM

At one time the Thruway Authority had posted a lot of "Keep Right Except To Pass" signs, especially on bridge supports in the median. Have these disappeared?

NYSTA has a handful. They're not particularly common. NYSDOT has zero that I know of.

Quote from: Rothman on March 29, 2018, 02:04:51 PM
Don't know about NY being in the top three regarding LLBs, but I find it a much more prevalent epidemic in Ohio.

YES. Columbus in particular is horrible (likely due to the amount of transplants).

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on March 29, 2018, 02:04:51 PM

It's entirely dependent on your definition. The Ohio mentality is that the left lane of the Turnpike will move at or around 80 mph. Set the cruise, or pick another lane if you're not a bandwagon fan. It's certainly true that Ohioans are some of the "worst" left lane bandits, but at the same time, they're rarely disruptive to flow when they're doing it.

New York, on the other hand, tends to be worse overall, only because you can't guarantee consistency. Some people camp at 55, some at 65, some at 70, and they're all as bad as each other, especially when they don't attempt to maintain the pace set by the guy in front. The other thing is that, in eastern/southern areas of the state, no matter how densely packed a freeway is, you can guarantee the left lane will be moving faster on average than other lanes, even if there are left lane campers. In Western NY, people who left lane camp don't always set a reasonable pace like they do downstate, so they're more disruptive to flow.

FWIW, I tend to disagree that NY is not a "keep right except to pass" state. Every state, including NY, has a law of some form requiring motorists to keep right, and there are a decent amount of signs on the thruway.

empirestate

Quote from: signalman on March 29, 2018, 01:40:23 PM
Quote from: empirestate on March 29, 2018, 01:34:54 PM

That isn't unique to the Taconic, nor is it unique to the Hudson Valley.  In my experiences, middle lane bandits pop up in any 6 laned section of freeway.  Also, in many of those jurisdictions, the middle lane camper is a LLB from a truck driver's perspective, since they aren't allowed to use the left lane.

Right, the Taconic was an additional example of what we're discussing in the context of the Thruway, not a unique case. And it is, indeed, found throughout the state–it's very, very prominent in Rochester, for example. The difference there is that you don't get the passing on all sides, if only because Rochester drivers aren't as wont to try to win every race. But in Upstate areas, this seems to spill over less to the Thruway, maybe because the Thruway represents a whole different category of travel in those areas, whereas closer to NYC, it's often just another commuter highway.

Quote from: webny99 on March 29, 2018, 02:51:52 PM
FWIW, I tend to disagree that NY is not a "keep right except to pass" state. Every state, including NY, has a law of some form requiring motorists to keep right, and there are a decent amount of signs on the thruway.

Yeah, same here. I've never noticed any conspicuous absence of the philosophy in NYS; there are certainly signs posted statewide to that effect.

vdeane

I'm pretty sure the Thruway signs are a Thruway regulation, similar to the ones for using your flashers when traveling under 40 mph.

As for Rochester, passing on the right is a time-honored tradition.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

02 Park Ave

On the three lane section of the Ohio Turnpike there actually are overhead signs stating that slower traffic and trucks are to use the two right hand lanes.

Hence, driving in the left lane is the norm unless one is being overtaken by a faster vehicle.  Then one becomes "slower traffic" and moves over.

It seems odd, but that's the way itis done out there.
C-o-H

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on March 29, 2018, 05:05:18 PM

Yep  :D
On six lane highways, its especially noticeable. We often have traffic flowing past the middle lane on both left and right. If the folks on the left would set a more reasonable pace, we wouldn't have this problem  :-P

RobbieL2415

Legally speaking is NYS a Slower Traffic Keep Right or Keep Right Except to pass state?  Also does it have an exemption for roads with 3 or more lanes?

cl94

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 29, 2018, 11:24:59 PM
Legally speaking is NYS a Slower Traffic Keep Right or Keep Right Except to pass state?  Also does it have an exemption for roads with 3 or more lanes?

Slower traffic keep right, but it's not enforced, nor is it really signed away from hills. No exemption that I know of, as most signs on freeways are where a climbing lane makes a third lane.

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on March 29, 2018, 11:52:50 PM

Slower traffic keep right, but it's not enforced, nor is it really signed away from hills. No exemption that I know of, as most signs on freeways are where a climbing lane makes a third lane.

Thruway signs say keep right except to pass, is that enforced?

empirestate

Quote from: webny99 on March 29, 2018, 05:59:55 PM
Quote from: vdeane on March 29, 2018, 05:05:18 PM

Yep  :D
On six lane highways, its especially noticeable. We often have traffic flowing past the middle lane on both left and right. If the folks on the left would set a more reasonable pace, we wouldn't have this problem  :-P

Well, if you're in the right lane and there's nobody in front of you, you're not really "passing" anybody. You're just driving in the right lane. :-D

It is, and there's no exemption on 3-lane roads for keeping right. However, there's an exemption for those doing the passing; you can do that on the right on a 3-lane road.

kalvado

Quote from: empirestate on March 30, 2018, 10:12:18 AM
It is, and there's no exemption on 3-lane roads for keeping right. However, there's an exemption for those doing the passing; you can do that on the right on a 3-lane road.
ANd here is something I don't understand. If we're talking about 3-lanes as 1+turning+1,  I don't  quite understand how NOT to keep right on those. If 3  lane is asymmetric  2+1, then it looks messy - but I can remember only very few of those, and they are often busy enough to have both lanes full.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kalvado on March 30, 2018, 11:41:19 AM
Quote from: empirestate on March 30, 2018, 10:12:18 AM
ANd here is something I don't understand. If we're talking about 3-lanes as 1+turning+1,  I don't  quite understand how NOT to keep right on those. If 3  lane is asymmetric  2+1, then it looks messy - but I can remember only very few of those, and they are often busy enough to have both lanes full.
Three per direction.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.