News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What’s your opinion of the airplane Logo for Airports?

Started by roadman65, April 19, 2023, 05:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you like the plane doubling as an arrow?

Yes
15 (39.5%)
No
23 (60.5%)

Total Members Voted: 38

roadman65

Lately for many decades, some airport logo trailblazers use the nose of the posted aircraft as an arrow instead of an arrow.

What's everyone's take? A good idea or bad one?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Really?  I didn't know that.  I'm not in favor of the nose acting as an arrow.  That's way to subtle for easy comprehension.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

formulanone

I dunno, I'd say like 90% of the square green airport signs just point upwards, with only a few denoting a direction (probably more common for smaller airfields).

I'm noticing a bunch in Windsor, Ontario this week, which do seem to point in a direction that leads to the airport.

There's also an older standard (at least in the US) where the airplane appears at an angle, so an arrow is necessary.

J N Winkler

Quote from: roadman65 on April 19, 2023, 05:16:26 PMLately for many decades, some airport logo trailblazers use the nose of the posted aircraft as an arrow instead of an arrow.

In the US, if the plane graphic is used alone without an arrow--bad, bad, bad idea.  In Britain the plane also points the way to the airport, but this only supplements other directional information on the sign, such as an arrow or a stub arm.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Henry

I strongly prefer an arrow under the plane symbol over the plane itself acting as an arrow. The "arrow plane", as it is, comes off as very tacky, and should not be used in any circumstance.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jeffandnicole

I think it's fine, as long as it's not a standalone symbol.  Still should use an arrow.  But it's subtle, like an exit tab. 

KCRoadFan

I'm fine with the plane icon pointing the way to the airport - as long as it has some sort of chevron right outside the nose to reinforce the direction.

kphoger

It wouldn't even have occurred to me that the direction it's pointing had anything to do with the location of the airport.  That's not at all obvious.

Unless...

Quote from: KCRoadFan on April 19, 2023, 11:25:55 PM
... some sort of chevron right outside the nose ...
Male pronouns, please.

roadfro

Quote from: roadman65 on April 19, 2023, 05:16:26 PM
Lately for many decades, some airport logo trailblazers use the nose of the posted aircraft as an arrow instead of an arrow.

The official take from FHWA, according to MUTCD Interpretation Letter 2-564(I) issued 5/25/2005, is that agencies can change the orientation of the airport symbol sign in this manner, but it still needs to be accompanied by the supplemental trailblazer arrow.

Quote from: formulanone on April 19, 2023, 07:30:49 PM
There's also an older standard (at least in the US) where the airplane appears at an angle, so an arrow is necessary.

Despite its widespread use, I'm not sure that that version of the airplane symbol was ever a MUTCD standard.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

roadfro

Quote from: roadman65 on April 19, 2023, 05:31:19 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/FGMqXDY5NvX1bqJK7
Look at the street sign.

Then look again.
https://goo.gl/maps/yaeAVnQi8Pse6849A

These are only countless examples in the Sundhine State.

I'm more bothered by the fact that they used white on blue, and put "Kissimmee Airport" in such small unreadable letters...

But it looks like that agency needs some sign design help regardless. Another sign for the airport at the same intersection: https://goo.gl/maps/kdzAUGazvjvj7bcTA  Wrong symbol (and not even the alternate symbol frequently used), awful lettering, arrow that barely looks like an arrow.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Rothman

I see them usually supplemented by arrows anyway, but have always liked the idea of just using the plane as an arrow.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman

The MUTCD requires that arrows be used with the airport symbol panel on trailblazer signs, and allows tilting of the airplane symbol as an additional means to denote the direction.  On a related note, does anyone else remember when different airplane symbols were used to distinguish general aviation airports from commercial carrier airports?
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kphoger

Quote from: roadman on April 21, 2023, 12:21:06 PM
On a related note, does anyone else remember when different airplane symbols were used to distinguish general aviation airports from commercial carrier airports?

I've seen this on maps, but I didn't realize the distinction had existed on signage.
Male pronouns, please.

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

spooky

ran4sh

I have seen this in a few places in NC in the late 90s/early 00s. They were used without the required arrow plaques. These signs were in reference to general aviation airports, not commercial airports

I've never seen it anywhere else though.

I have stronger opinions about how airport names are listed on signs. Most commercial airports should be written as just "[city name] Airport" (or "[IATA code] Airport" if the public often refers to the airport by code as well as name/city). GDOT does it right, listing Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport as simply "Atlanta Airport" or "ATL Airport", never including the unnecessary parts of the name on the sign. Too many other states list airports as "[name] International Airport" when the "international" designation could be removed from the sign and people would still understand what the sign is referring to. The actual airport name is only necessary for commercial airports when there are multiple of them in the same area (e.g. Chicago, New York, etc)

Edit: To clarify my poll answer - I voted YES, because if done *in compliance with the MUTCD* it can actually be helpful.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

roadman65

Newark-Liberty International used to be just Newark Airport on signs and was fine with area residents.

Tampa International Airport was signed Tampa Airport which never was an issue. Now it's been signed Tampa followed by a plane logo ✈️.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.