Pedestrian signals that change even when no one is around to hit the button

Started by KCRoadFan, October 30, 2023, 12:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

In most of Salt Lake City, the pedestrian signals come on every light cycle no matter what. Many of them don't even have buttons. I used to always use them to adjust my driving speed on approach to a light (i.e. slow down if it's going to be red, speed up a little if it might be close).

jamess

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on October 30, 2023, 11:09:33 AM
I have never encountered a signalized intersection in NYC that isn't automatic but also has a push-button. Though, I imagine they do exist in the outer neighborhoods.

All redone intersections have buttons installed because of the audible cue requirements of the new PROWAG.

It will take decades for every signal to have them 

ErmineNotyours

San Francisco clarifies this by indicating that the buttons are only for accessibility messages.

lepidopteran

This mid-block crosswalk in downtown Dayton, complete with an overhead sign indicating as much, did not have any kind of button actuator 30+ years ago, and doesn't appear to now.  I do believe it synchs to some extent with the signals at the nearby intersections.

Look at the control box to the right.  I remember when the larger, computer-based controller replaced the old (I think) rotating camstack box; its smaller concrete base is still present.  I thought that a more advanced controller would result in some kind of actuation device, but apparently there is not.  Perhaps it cycles less frequently based on time of day and days of the week.

LilianaUwU

Most of Québec City's intersections use a beg button, but a few with higher traffic rates, such as 1re Avenue/41e Rue, have ped signals that need no activation.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

jakeroot

When I was living in Washington State, there were quite a lot of areas that used automatic walk signals during peak hours.

Here in Japan, you only see push-buttons if the signal needs it, everything is timed for the most part, with the timing changing throughout the day in response to traffic levels. This is actually pretty nice as, when you're driving, you can always tell how much longer the signal will last before going red or green.

Lukeisroads

Bakersfield has a thing in the main Downtown area on chester everytime the Light turns green the Walk signal goes on and i never see anybody there and yes there is no button so i dont see anybody at the cross walk at all

gonealookin

I was just in Waikiki and noticed several intersections where the beg buttons are still on the posts but have been disabled.  Most of these are crossings of Kalākaua Avenue, the main shopping and dining street.  At some of the intersections, all auto traffic is stopped, including no right turn on red per signs, and pedestrians have full right of way through the intersection including diagonal crossing.  The white pedestrian light stayed on for several seconds and then the countdown timer ran for about 25 seconds.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.