News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What states most commonly have towns with streets bearing the state's name?

Started by KCRoadFan, September 07, 2020, 10:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: thspfc on September 08, 2020, 09:07:04 PM
The dark side of Monopoly property names is that the cheap and pretty much worthless properties like Mediterranean and Baltic were (and maybe still are, idk) streets in black neighborhoods of Atlantic City. I'm surprised there hasn't been any clamor to change the names of those properties or move them elsewhere on the board. Seems like a 2020 type of thing to me.

I feel like by this point the Monopoly street names are better known for being Monopoly street names than being based on Atlantic City. (I wonder how many people visit AC and think "Oh, cool, they named their streets after Monopoly!")

St. Charles Place no longer exists, as it was demolished by the President of the United States. Er. Back at his old job, I mean.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

KCRoadFan

Quote from: briantroutman on September 08, 2020, 01:45:55 PM
There are a number of "Pennsylvania"  streets–mostly Avenues–across the state, but they tend to be incidental side streets. I can't think of any examples in the state where a Pennsylvania Ave. is a noteworthy thoroughfare. As a name, Pennsylvania is certainly nowhere near Market, High, Broad, Water, Front, tree names (Walnut, Locust, etc.), or numbers in the pantheon of street names that are commonly applied to local streets of significance in cities and towns within the state.

Actually, I'm struck more by the use of Pennsylvania to name longer or more significant streets in cities outside Pennsylvania (most notably Washington, D.C.–also Oklahoma City, Brooklyn, N.Y., Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Denver, and others). Sometimes, this is part of a pattern of state names applied to a number of streets, but this isn't always the case.

Before JFK was assassinated, the street in Philadelphia now known as John F. Kennedy Boulevard was called Pennsylvania Boulevard.

zachary_amaryllis

there's at least 2 'colorado blvd's in colorado ..

in the east denver area, and north of denver, i think its weld co rd 13 thats known as colorado blvd.

there's probably more, but thats off the top of my head...
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

GaryV

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 07, 2020, 11:09:22 PM
I know Detroit, Saginaw, Bay City, Lansing, Jackson and Kalamazoo all have streets named Michigan. There are certainly plenty of others but those cities have Michigan as a main street in some of them.

A somewhat late reply.  Almost all the towns from Detroit through Kalamazoo and to the west have a Michigan Street or Avenue, as that was the name of the original US-12.

Grand Rapids also has a Michigan Street, which while it is not the basis for the house numbers (that falls to Fulton St), it is the basis for the Mile Roads counting north - Michigan St is effectively Zero Mile Road.  There is no 1 Mile Rd, and 2 Mile Rd only exists in the county to the east of town.

usends

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on December 28, 2020, 10:26:04 AM
in the east denver area, and north of denver, i think its weld co rd 13 thats known as colorado blvd.
FYI, those are both the same Colorado Blvd (Denver streetnames extend out into several surrounding counties).  But there's also a Colorado Av. that runs E-W through Denver.  Interestingly, the Avenue doesn't intersect the Boulevard, because that point on the grid happens to be right where I-25 cuts through.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

The Nature Boy

Virginia St/Ave is fairly common but never significant . Just from a quick eyeball of a map and playing around on Google Maps. There's a Virginia Street/Ave in:

Alexandria, Falls Church, Fairfax, Annandale, Lincolnia, Vienna, Richmond (street and avenue), Virginia Beach, Portsmouth, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Charlottesville, and likely a lot of other places in the state.

In my sampling though, it's almost never a major road in the city or area where it's located.

zzcarp

Quote from: usends on December 28, 2020, 03:55:48 PM
Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on December 28, 2020, 10:26:04 AM
FYI, those are both the same Colorado Blvd (Denver streetnames extend out into several surrounding counties).  But there's also a Colorado Av. that runs E-W through Denver.  Interestingly, the Avenue doesn't intersect the Boulevard, because that point on the grid happens to be right where I-25 cuts through.

Staying in the metro area, Boulder also has an unrelated Colorado Avenue that runs east from the University of Colorado main campus to Foothills Parkway.

Farther west along I-70, the main street and former business route of Idaho Springs also is Colorado Boulevard. I sometimes wonder if there's ever confusion having two Colorado Boulevard exits approximately 36 miles apart.

To the south, Colorado Springs has a Colorado Avenue that runs west from downtown through Old Colorado City.

So many miles and so many roads

bassoon1986

Louisiana had more Louisiana Avenue/Street examples than I thought. 7 out of 10 of the largest cities have one. More often than not, especially in the western part of the state, there are Texas Avenues. And they're usually part of the old highway trails that led to Texas: US 80, LA 6.

iPhone

US 89

Quote from: zzcarp on December 28, 2020, 04:36:18 PM
To the south, Colorado Springs has a Colorado Avenue that runs west from downtown through Old Colorado City.

That one I knew about, as I believe it's old US 24.

Both Grand Junction and Pueblo also have a Colorado Avenue as a downtown city street. Looks like several other smaller cities have one as well: Walsenburg, Trinidad, La Junta...

Henry

I see a Washington Street in Bellingham, Kennewick, Pasco, Seattle, Spokane, Tacoma, Vancouver and Yakima, and I'm sure there are some more elsewhere in the state.

EDIT: jakeroot already pointed that one out, so there.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.