News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 80 in Warren County, Mississippi Revisited

Started by 707, June 13, 2019, 07:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I made a post about US 80 being signed and referenced on its old route through part of Warren County near Vicksburg quite some time ago, but I've done some thinking regarding the erroneous US 80 signage near Vicksburg. By the looks of it, those of you that denied it was true US 80 are right, but I have a feeling whoever changed the signs probably did so on purpose wanting nothing more than to sign old US 80 for history's sake. I have to feel bad for the state of Mississippi though, considering this has got to be a navigational nightmare for travelers and the number of complaints they get regarding the erroneous US 80. I'm also wondering if whoever caused this error got the sack?

Original Post Here:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=24008.0

cjk374

I highly doubt that the phones have been ringing off the hook in Jackson about the "erroneous" signage of US 80. Everyone traveling east-west are only paying attention to I-20 signage.

What I hate to see is the erroneous SR 80 shield at Bovina. Will someone at MDOT PLEASE change that damn thing to the correct US 80 shield!?!  :banghead:  :pan:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Quote from: cjk374 on June 14, 2019, 03:27:41 PM
I highly doubt that the phones have been ringing off the hook in Jackson about the "erroneous" signage of US 80. Everyone traveling east-west are only paying attention to I-20 signage.

What I hate to see is the erroneous SR 80 shield at Bovina. Will someone at MDOT PLEASE change that damn thing to the correct US 80 shield!?!  :banghead:  :pan:

You and me both. And can someone kindly finish the signage from Bovina back to I-20? Or at least all the way to Edwards if they have to...

berberry

Frankly, I thought we were going to lose that signage after a big storm some months ago, when one of the US-80 shields was damaged. I figured MDOT would go ahead and finally remove the Hwy 80 signage but no, they replaced it.

I encounter some of the MDOT people who work in Vicksburg once in a while. I've asked about the 80 signage, and although they all have something to say, it never makes any sense, so. Mississippi seems to like remembering how things used to be, haha. Like, every time I have EVER visited the national park with an older friend, I'm told for the 100,000th time that the arch over the entrance to the parkway used to be on Clay Street. Why is it so important to people that everyone must know that?

If somebody ever tells you that Vicksburg was ruined when they put the bypass through, that's my uncle so say hi!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.