News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Help Identifying Tubular Steel Bridge

Started by seicer, November 15, 2023, 10:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seicer

Can you identify the type of truss bridge depicted here?

This structure is the Meadow Lake Farm Bridge, spanning the West Fork Little Kanawha River in Calhoun County, West Virginia. It supports a private driveway and is one of many similar tubular steel bridges in the area. However, the identity of the manufacturer or date of build remains unclear.

bwana39

This LOOKS like something that a local fabrication shop built. It probably was built from rough plans and not any particular engineering specs. 
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

plain

Quote from: seicer on November 15, 2023, 10:36:55 PM
...It supports a private driveway and is one of many similar tubular steel bridges in the area...

Yeah umm... I don't think I'd be willing to drive anything on that.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Rothman

Quote from: plain on November 29, 2023, 06:46:50 PM
...It supports a private driveway and is one of many similar tubular steel bridges in the area...

Sissy.  It's been working just fine for the property owner.  Why wouldn't it for you?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

plain

Quote from: Rothman on November 29, 2023, 10:56:12 PM

Sissy.  It's been working just fine for the property owner.  Why wouldn't it for you?

For one thing that bridge has obviously seen better days. Plus it's narrow. If I were to guess, the property owner (especially if it's a farm) is either using another bridge or a ford to reach the property with anything heavy.

Rothman

Quote from: plain on November 30, 2023, 12:55:15 AM

For one thing that bridge has obviously seen better days. Plus it's narrow. If I were to guess, the property owner (especially if it's a farm) is either using another bridge or a ford to reach the property with anything heavy.
But you said you wouldn't drive across it with anything.  I take it you drive around on farm equipment?

Bridge looks better than some public bridges...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

plain

Quote from: Rothman on November 30, 2023, 07:02:15 AM
Quote from: plain on November 30, 2023, 12:55:15 AM

But you said you wouldn't drive across it with anything.  I take it you drive around on farm equipment?

I've used a lot of farming equipment at one point, yes. I'm also used to seeing private bridges in rural areas. I'm not knocking the design of it at all, it's actually impressive. What I am saying that it looks worn out.

Dirt Roads

Sorry to be of no help, but this bridge looks similar to another private truss bridge crossing Steer Creek near Stumptown in Gilmer County that was located just off US-33.  That bridge included a steep metal ramp on the south side to connect the farmland in the bottom up to the bridge level.  There's no evidence of any such bridge nowadays.  I'm sure that I've seen other tubular steel truss bridges in that area, but can't remember where.

Scott5114

Quote from: Rothman on November 30, 2023, 07:02:15 AM

Yeah, it mostly looks like it could use a coat of paint. Other than that, it looks fine. I've driven across worse.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.