News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

AZ 88; the Apache Trail

Started by Max Rockatansky, April 19, 2020, 02:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Back in the early 2000s I used to frequently drive the entirety of AZ 88 on the Apache Trail from US 60 in Apache Junction east to AZ 188 at Roosevelt Dam.  The Apache Trail was built as a stage route to haul materials for the Roosevelt Dam project which took place from 1903 to 1911.  The Apache Trail was one of Arizona's first Auto Trails and for a good portion of the early 20th Century was the main highway from the Phoenix area east to Globe.  The Apache Trail appears on the 1925 Rand McNally Arizona/New Mexico Highway Map co-signed in sections with; the Lee Highway, the Bankhead Highway, the Southern National Highway, the Atlantic Pacific Highway, and the Old Spanish Trail.  When the Arizona Sign State Routes were commissioned the Apache Trail was intended to be designated AZ 66 but US Route 60 changing to US Route 66 forced the designation to be changed to AZ 88.  AZ 88 today has a large unpaved portion east of Tortilla Flat which remains unpaved and is a good reminder of how major highways used to be in the early 20th Century.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/04/2016-fall-mountain-trip-part-27-arizona.html

SSR_317

On one of my previously frequent trips to the Valley of the Sun, I did the Apache Trail from AJ (Apache Junction) to Roosevelt Dam, then back to US 60 and through the Queen Creek Tunnel back down to the east Valley. The one-lane portion of the unpaved road hanging from the side of Fish Creek Canyon was most likely the scariest piece of road I've even been on in my 64 years! But the experience & the scenery were well worth it.

KeithE4Phx

Unfortunately, AZ 88 is closed west of Tortilla Flat.  Between the wildfire and flooding of late last year, and the rock slide just west of AZ 188 3 weeks ago, it is completely closed over most of its length.  I haven't seen any indications of when it will reopen at either end.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on April 19, 2020, 08:48:27 PM
Unfortunately, AZ 88 is closed west of Tortilla Flat.  Between the wildfire and flooding of late last year, and the rock slide just west of AZ 188 3 weeks ago, it is completely closed over most of its length.  I haven't seen any indications of when it will reopen at either end.

I believe you mean east?

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: 707 on April 07, 2023, 04:40:23 PM
Quote from: KeithE4Phx on April 19, 2020, 08:48:27 PM

I believe you mean east?

Yes.  Sorry about that.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.