Annoying driver behavior NOT caused by incompetence

Started by CtrlAltDel, August 24, 2019, 05:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Well, for what it's worth, I tend to only do this at signals I'm familiar with, so I know how they operate.  Also, it's generally on roads with a speed limit of at least 50 mph, so coming to a full stop is something I'd rather avoid.  These are roads with long main-road phases (gapping out early not much of an issue) and video detection rather than loop detection (no need to come to a stop to trip a green light but cruising through at the full speed limit won't work either).
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on September 23, 2019, 08:47:45 PM
Well, for what it's worth, I tend to only do this at signals I'm familiar with, so I know how they operate.  Also, it's generally on roads with a speed limit of at least 50 mph, so coming to a full stop is something I'd rather avoid.  These are roads with long main-road phases (gapping out early not much of an issue) and video detection rather than loop detection (no need to come to a stop to trip a green light but cruising through at the full speed limit won't work either).
Again, I am not trying to attack you personally. You know roads in your area better than me, and vice versa. I did see more than a few people who disrupt other cars movements making other drivers to come to unneeded stops or wait full light cycle just because somenoe is slowly coasting to cars  stopped at red light or slows down into late green; but that is for few specific locations over here, prone to such situations. I can easily believe your situation is different (for one, I don't think there are too many - if any - video detectors over here).
Not thinking about others, though, is still a common thing. Not limited to  specific situations on the road - or driving at all. Ever saw people in a store taking their sweet time next to their shopping cart parked across the isle?

webny99

If you're at an intersection with no turning lanes, first of all, tell us about it here, and second of all, if you're turning left and someone across from you is also turning left, please GO!

I simply cannot comprehend why some people don't do this, and instead sit and wait until the person across from them turns, thus opening the floodgates for another 10 or sometimes 20+ cars to go past, and being forced to go on yellow/red, or worse yet, waiting through another whole light cycle! Absolutely ridiculous!

webny99

I am also going to make the argument that driving at or below the speed limit, in some cases, actually could be caused by incompetence.
If you are unable to distinguish that, in certain cases, the state or county DOT got the speed limit entirely, 100% wrong, and further, that abiding by the limit is a huge inconvenience and frustration to everyone else on the road, then you are absolutely incompetent in my book.

sprjus4

Quote from: webny99 on November 07, 2019, 02:37:28 PM
I am also going to make the argument that driving at or below the speed limit, in some cases, actually could be caused by incompetence.
If you are unable to distinguish that, in certain cases, the state or county DOT got the speed limit entirely, 100% wrong, and further, that abiding by the limit is a huge inconvenience and frustration to everyone else on the road, then you are absolutely incompetent in my book.
Disagree. Yes, I have witnessed many times being stuck behind someone doing the speed limit that's underposted, but they are 100% abiding by the law & posted speed limit. It's illegal to exceed it, and they chose to not do that. That's no way incompetent.

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on November 07, 2019, 02:32:21 PM
I simply cannot comprehend why some people don't do this, and instead sit and wait until the person across from them turns, thus opening the floodgates for another 10 or sometimes 20+ cars to go past, and being forced to go on yellow/red, or worse yet, waiting through another whole light cycle! Absolutely ridiculous!

I don't get this either. At first, I was going to argue that this is actually caused by incompetence, because if someone across from you has their blinker on to turn, that's your sign that you too can turn left. Problem is that people are taught to not trust blinkers. Which to me is insane, since if you never trust blinkers, you will sit in that situation all day because you'll be forever convinced that someone might go straight.

kalvado

Quote from: jakeroot on November 07, 2019, 03:47:33 PM

I don't get this either. At first, I was going to argue that this is actually caused by incompetence, because if someone across from you has their blinker on to turn, that's your sign that you too can turn left. Problem is that people are taught to not trust blinkers. Which to me is insane, since if you never trust blinkers, you will sit in that situation all day because you'll be forever convinced that someone might go straight.
If we're talking single lane per direction and a stopped car behind opponent - yes, it's a go.
If there is a room to drive past turning car, even if there is no official lane there (and many roads flare at intersections)- then it is risky. If opponent pulled forward enough to let through traffic to drive around, it is another risk.  l If there is no stopped car right behind and  a car is  approaching from behind , that driver may not be aware of situation and may have too little time to react.
Last, but not the least: if anything happens, driver of the turning car is the one liable for the crash.

jakeroot

Quote from: kalvado on November 07, 2019, 04:07:38 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on November 07, 2019, 03:47:33 PM
If we're talking single lane per direction and a stopped car behind opponent - yes, it's a go.
If there is a room to drive past turning car, even if there is no official lane there (and many roads flare at intersections)- then it is risky. If opponent pulled forward enough to let through traffic to drive around, it is another risk.  l If there is no stopped car right behind and  a car is  approaching from behind , that driver may not be aware of situation and may have too little time to react.
Last, but not the least: if anything happens, driver of the turning car is the one liable for the crash.

I was speaking more generally than the specifics you've provided. But yes, if the road is wide enough to permit "undertaking", you have to be more cautious when turning. But that applies for both directions. At any rate, if there's a constant flow of turning traffic coming towards you, it should be obvious enough if a second lane (to the right of the turning traffic) is forming that you would need to yield to.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.