Route designations for the Pan American Highway?

Started by NE2, August 31, 2016, 05:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

Is there an official list of Pan-American Highway routes, either by control cities or route numbers?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US 41

I'm pretty sure in Mexico that MX 85 from Laredo to Mexico City is part of the Pan American Highway. Then from Mexico City to the Guatemala border MX 190 is the Pan American Highway. From Guatemala to the Darien Gap CA1 is the Pan American Highway. That's all I know though.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Bickendan

Technically, every interstate is designated part of the Pan-American Highway. I might have an older map of South America with the routes defined somewhere.

english si

There's the treaty in this document somewhere, but that hasn't been updated with later changes.

CEPAL (or UNECLAC in English), unlike the UNECE, UNESCAP, UNECA and ESCWA don't have anything on their website about roads / transport in general.

wdcrft63

Quote from: NE2 on August 31, 2016, 05:07:20 PM
Is there an official list of Pan-American Highway routes, either by control cities or route numbers?
There's no organization that oversees the Pan-American Highway, so each country is free to define (or not define) its portion of the route. Wikipedia's article gives route numbers for each country, but I don't know how "official" they are.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan-American_Highway

NE2

Quote from: english si on September 08, 2016, 03:53:31 AM
There's the treaty in this document somewhere, but that hasn't been updated with later changes.
All I see is the one starting on page 99, which doesn't have any description.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NE2

I found some history of the original route in North America: http://www.fdrlibrary.marist.edu/_resources/images/psf/psfa0123.pdf There were not any branches yet in 1944.

US 41

I've always viewed US 83 (from Laredo to Canada) as the Pan American Highway in the US for a couple of reasons.

1) MX 85 is the Pan American highway in Mexico. MX 85 ends across the river in Nuevo Laredo.
2) Once US 83 crosses into Canada as MB 83 you can follow it north up to TC 16. TC 16 can then be driven west to AB 43 which eventually turns into the Alaska Highway once you cross into British Colombia.

My assumption is nothing official of course, but it is my reasonable conclusion.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

dmuzika

Quote from: US 41 on October 27, 2016, 09:10:06 PM
I've always viewed US 83 (from Laredo to Canada) as the Pan American Highway in the US for a couple of reasons.

1) MX 85 is the Pan American highway in Mexico. MX 85 ends across the river in Nuevo Laredo.
2) Once US 83 crosses into Canada as MB 83 you can follow it north up to TC 16. TC 16 can then be driven west to AB 43 which eventually turns into the Alaska Highway once you cross into British Colombia.

My assumption is nothing official of course, but it is my reasonable conclusion.

The CanAm Highway runs a little further west along US 85 and MX 45, the latter is considered a spur of the Pan-American Highway.  The CanAm crosses into Canada and becomes SK 35 but follows SK 39 and SK 6 to Regina.  One could take SK 11, TC 16, and AB 43 to the Alaska Highway. Some reumbering on the Canadian side could be in order so the corridor would have a continuous number.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.