News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Funniest street names

Started by J Route Z, September 15, 2014, 12:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbnv

doofy103 posted this in Erroneous Signs; I'm just going to leave it here.

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

KG909

Quote from: jbnv on October 12, 2014, 04:54:16 PM

I thought it was funny too lol
~Fuccboi

leroys73

North of Dallas, west of I-35, and south of Montague, TX a road sign is "Seldom Seen Road".  It is a good name for it.  I'll try to get a pic next time I'm riding out that way.
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

algorerhythms

Quote from: leroys73 on October 13, 2014, 01:49:53 PM
North of Dallas, west of I-35, and south of Montague, TX a road sign is "Seldom Seen Road".  It is a good name for it.  I'll try to get a pic next time I'm riding out that way.
There's one in Lonaconing, Maryland as well.

halork

leroys73

Quote from: busman_49 on October 13, 2014, 01:33:32 PM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/busman_49/13499530114/in/set-72157632094093334
Circleville, Ohio

...and the story behind it:
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3103060,00.html

I liked the back story, great info. I was just through there a month ago.  If I'd know of them I would have had to take a picture. 

Not a street sign but sort of related: There is a town in NY with the name of Swastika.  Of course the Swastika was corrupted by Adolf Hitler. It might appear in different rotation or reversed but was used by the Native American Indians, the 45th Infantry Division, used as a good luck symbol, Lindberg's Spirit of St. Louis had one inside its nose, and many more uses until he came along.   
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

Zeffy

Quote from: leroys73 on October 14, 2014, 10:32:58 AM
Not a street sign but sort of related: There is a town in NY with the name of Swastika.  Of course the Swastika was corrupted by Adolf Hitler. It might appear in different rotation or reversed but was used by the Native American Indians, the 45th Infantry Division, used as a good luck symbol, Lindberg's Spirit of St. Louis had one inside its nose, and many more uses until he came along.

The swastika used to be a symbol of peace before Nazi Germany completely altered that perception. I only believe that swastikas that are tilted in a way such as that on a flag of Nazi Germany are used for malicious intent, however, it seems that they are commonly used as vandalistic hate crimes without being tilted. Never before World War II would the general public associate a symbol of peace and goodness with pure evil. But that's how it is.

Quote from: jbnv on October 12, 2014, 04:54:16 PM

I think it would've been funnier if the "e" in hoe fell off.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

leroys73

Quote from: Zeffy on October 14, 2014, 10:45:11 AM

The swastika used to be a symbol of peace before Nazi Germany completely altered that perception. I only believe that swastikas that are tilted in a way such as that on a flag of Nazi Germany are used for malicious intent, however, it seems that they are commonly used as vandalistic hate crimes without being tilted. Never before World War II would the general public associate a symbol of peace and goodness with pure evil. But that's how it is.

Yep

jbnv

Quote from: Zeffy on October 14, 2014, 10:45:11 AM

Apparently it still has positive connotations to some people. Here's a Pokemon card ca. 1999 with a swastika. (The American version doesn't have the swastika.)

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

bing101

VCB02FromRoblox

This is in D.C.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

gilpdawg

There's a Goose Heaven Rd. in Wayne County, IN.

Kniwt

Old US 395 just north of Carson City, Nevada:

adventurernumber1

I was doing street view on Google Maps in Edgartown, Massachusetts, and I found this: http://prntscr.com/5155v6

This is as funny as it is random. Also, I have been to Edgartown before, so I have not the slightest clue why I didn't notice this road's name before (it's actually very close to the place we stayed at).

Also, for those who may want it, here's the direct link to the street view: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3928771,-70.506101,3a,75y,314.1h,82.86t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sCjBHSkKq3go5RIoNCam0xQ!2e0

Whoever came up with the name "Starbuck Neck Road," must have been high on Starbucks  :-D :sombrero:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jakeroot

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

cenlaroads

In Ball, Louisiana, there is a counterpart to Weiner Cutoff Rd., shown earlier in this thread:

https://www.google.com/maps/@31.4170664,-92.4316076,17z

NE2

Quote from: cenlaroads on October 30, 2014, 10:36:02 AM
In Ball, Louisiana, there is a counterpart to Weiner Cutoff Rd., shown earlier in this thread:

https://www.google.com/maps/@31.4170664,-92.4316076,17z

I wonder why I can't find any signs...?

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jakeroot

roadfro

Quote from: Kniwt on October 29, 2014, 09:03:45 PM
Old US 395 just north of Carson City, Nevada:
<Lonesome Polecat Ln>

Is that on the old Bowers Mansion Road/SR 429 segment? I'm not familiar with that one.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.