News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Business FM 1187 in Crowley

Started by Brian556, April 10, 2014, 11:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

The TxDOT Map online http://www.dot.state.tx.us/apps-cg/grid_search/_includes/countymapbook2006/Pages/453.pdf shows FM 1187C on the old location of FM 1187 in Crowley. There is a highway designation file http://www.dot.state.tx.us/tpp/hwy/bf/bf1187c.htm entry for it, also. Streetview is very outdated for the ends of the route, and is of no use. However, at the FM 731 intersection, it was just updated, and it does show BUSINESS FM 1187 signs.https://maps.google.com/?ll=32.578479,-97.353222&spn=0.000036,0.024784&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=32.578415,-97.353233&panoid=5FfD5gGdX3gFt7M3LPiMjw&cbp=12,7.42,,0,0

Has anybody been down there recently? Do they have proper BUSINESS FM 1187 signage installed on FM 1187 itself?

These BUSINESS FM routes are very rare. Good to know we now have one close by.

wxfree

I go through there with some frequency, about every month or two.  The signs at the ends of the business route are proper, but I don't recall seeing any along it.  I don't go that way very often.  Next time I'm there I'll have a look and note reassurance and reference markers.  According to the map, there should be a reference marker west of FM 731.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

wxfree

I've found that reference markers are generally left in place when a route is bypassed and renamed as a business route, but I couldn't find one where it should have been.  There seems to be a lack of signage in places.  Both junctions with FM 1187 have proper signage.  The straight-through signs on BF 1187 at FM 731, as well as reassurance signs there, are missing.  As visible in the Street View imagery, there are only two signs at the junction, for north and south on FM 731.

The junction markers on FM 731 show "Business 1187."  At the west end junction and reassurance shields, and at the turn, the wording is "Business Farm Road 1187."  If we accept either as correct, then I believe all of the signage is correct, although it is lacking in places.

Sign at the turn

Brian556

Thanks for the pic.

Look closely at the signs in the link below. I don't know if you noticed this in the field or not, but
the 2013 streetview shows signs with the word BUSINESS instead of the word FARM. on the route marker assemblies that face traffic on FM 731. I do see all the missing signage; there are no reassurance assemblies leaving this intersection.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=32.578606,-97.353222&spn=0.000036,0.024784&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=32.578677,-97.353223&panoid=Ns2JqfqFTFLAoNqx2VgkHw&cbp=12,226.46,,2,0

I suspect that the sign you took a pic of was installed by TxDOT; the removal of the directional plaque, and replacing it with a BUSINESS plaque is typical lazy TXDOT. If they were to do it right, they would have to replace the entire pole to comply with the 7ft rule.

Since the concrete pavement looks new at the FM 731 intersection, I'm thinking that the signs there with the word BUSINESS in them, which was standard until just recently, might have been installed by a contractor.

This is interesting because Tarrant County has always deviated from standard TxDOT policy, and never used the BUSINESS signs with the word on the sign itself. Somebody else on the forum recently pointed out that the Standard Highways Signs Designs that TxDOT publishes no longer specifies the use of signs with the word BUSINESS in them.

wxfree

Quote from: Brian556 on April 12, 2014, 05:03:57 PM
This is interesting because Tarrant County has always deviated from standard TxDOT policy, and never used the BUSINESS signs with the word on the sign itself. Somebody else on the forum recently pointed out that the Standard Highways Signs Designs that TxDOT publishes no longer specifies the use of signs with the word BUSINESS in them.

I think that was me discussing that earlier.  Having always lived in the Fort Worth district, I'm accustomed to seeing the BUSINESS plaque, rather than the modified shield design.  Being curious, I looked up the standards and found that in the 2012 document they'd standardized the plaque.  The proper FM sign for that application under the plaque is M1-6FB, which should have the number and business route letter, and should have no other text (no "Farm Road").

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.