Shows That could have been Faves if the network did not cancel them

Started by roadman65, November 17, 2018, 12:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

Quote from: roadman on November 23, 2018, 02:16:19 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 23, 2018, 01:47:40 PM
Was there ever an attempt to tie in Gomer Pyle to the BH/GA/PJ triad? I also remember there being a fourth show that had a connection, but can't remember what it was.

Gomer Pyle was a spinoff of the Andy Griffith Show, and wouldn't have had any relation to those shows.  I vaguely recall there being a fourth show with a connection to the others (something about Eb's life after leaving the Douglas farm), but that it didn't get much traction due to the CBS "rural purge".

Wikipedia sez:

"There was no series finale. The final two episodes of Green Acres were backdoor pilots for Pam and Carol, a couple of shows that were never picked up by a network."

Was it one of these?

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 23, 2018, 03:03:50 PM
Quote from: roadman on November 23, 2018, 02:16:19 PM
Was there ever an attempt to tie in Gomer Pyle to the BH/GA/PJ triad? I also remember there being a fourth show that had a connection, but can't remember what it was.

Gomer Pyle was a spinoff of the Andy Griffith Show, and wouldn't have had any relation to those shows.  I vaguely recall there being a fourth show with a connection to the others (something about Eb's life after leaving the Douglas farm), but that it didn't get much traction due to the CBS "rural purge".

Wikipedia sez:

"There was no series finale. The final two episodes of Green Acres were backdoor pilots for Pam and Carol, a couple of shows that were never picked up by a network."

Was it one of these?

I saw that too, but I can't seem to find any additional information about "Pam and Carol".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

"Pam"  and "Carol"  were two separate shows. That text was italicized on Wikipedia, but not in my post.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 23, 2018, 03:13:31 PM
"Pam"  and "Carol"  were two separate shows. That text was italicized on Wikipedia, but not in my post.

Ah, yes.  I noticed that Pam and Carol were italicized, but I didn't noticed that and wasn't.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bandit957

Wasn't it established that the Beverly Hillbillies were from Arkansas? I grew up thinking they were from Tennessee.

I think it was 'The Andy Griffith Show'.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

kphoger

Quote from: bandit957 on November 23, 2018, 04:13:36 PM
Wasn't it established that the Beverly Hillbillies were from Arkansas? I grew up thinking they were from Tennessee.

I think it was 'The Andy Griffith Show'.

I'm not aware of that show having any connection to the other three.
Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

I knew Gomer Pyle was a spinoff of Andy Griffith, but for some odd reason, I thought there was an attempt to connect it to BH/GA/PJ.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Tonytone

Promoting Cities since 1998!

kphoger

Quote from: Tonytone on November 23, 2018, 06:35:05 PM
"The office"

:no:
Male pronouns, please.

Tonytone

Quote from: kphoger on November 23, 2018, 06:58:54 PM

"The office"

I was putting a show , not replying to him.

iPhone

kphoger

Quote from: Tonytone on November 23, 2018, 06:59:42 PM

"The office"

I know, dude!  I know.  It just struck me as funny.  Ahhh, nevermind.....
Male pronouns, please.

Tonytone

Quote from: kphoger on November 23, 2018, 07:13:09 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on November 23, 2018, 06:59:42 PM

"The office"

I know, dude!  I know.  It just struck me as funny.  Ahhh, nevermind.....
Now im mad, because I was supposed to get the joke.

iPhone

abefroman329

"The office"

iPhone
The UK version lasted as long as it needed to, and the US version lasted for far too long.

Tonytone

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 23, 2018, 07:36:13 PM
"The office"

iPhone
The UK version lasted as long as it needed to, and the US version lasted for far too long.
You're crazy, I shall shun you.

iPhone

abefroman329

Quote from: Tonytone on November 23, 2018, 07:36:48 PM
"The office"

iPhone

iPhone
I quit watching the US version when Michael dumped Pam's mom on her birthday in front of Pam and Jim. That wasn't the act of a socially awkward but warm-hearted doofus, that was the work of a flaming asshole. And that was approximately halfway through its run.

And if you think the UK version should have lasted longer, I suggest you watch David Brent: Life On The Road.

Tonytone

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 23, 2018, 07:47:05 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on November 23, 2018, 07:36:48 PM
"The office"

iPhone

iPhone
I quit watching the US version when Michael dumped Pam's mom on her birthday in front of Pam and Jim. That wasn't the act of a socially awkward but warm-hearted doofus, that was the work of a flaming asshole. And that was approximately halfway through its run.

And if you think the UK version should have lasted longer, I suggest you watch David Brent: Life On The Road.
I never seen the UK version, but I know about it, I was speaking on the US version. The show is good until Michael leaves in season 8. You shoulda kept watching it, that was only a minor dumb thing Michael did

iPhone

jon daly

"The office"

iPhone

It was an awful day when jumptheshark.com was sold to TV Guide and all of their pages disappeared. Plenty of shows since then missed out on well-deserved jump the shark treatment. I didn't follow The Office regularly, but the Big Bang Theory is another show that's dragged on too long.

kevinb1994

Quote from: jon daly on November 23, 2018, 08:35:05 PM
"The office"

iPhone

It was an awful day when jumptheshark.com was sold to TV Guide and all of their pages disappeared. Plenty of shows since then missed out on well-deserved jump the shark treatment. I didn't follow The Office regularly, but the Big Bang Theory is another show that's dragged on too long.

Thankfully Jim Parsons realized that before the current season and now the current season is the final season of the Big Bang Theory. It will be interesting to see what replaces it in it's Thursday night primetime slot at 8/7 Central on CBS. They could extend Young Sheldon to a full hour but maybe not; a new show or reruns will probably take up the time slot.

english si

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 19, 2018, 06:10:04 PMI've been trying to watch the UK version, but I know very little about Manchester specifically and the UK in general, so I don't really get all of the various references.
The references are not particularly Manchester-specific. Though as I wasn't alive in the 70s, I didn't experience them - more the echo (and so your time at Reading Uni won't have helped). And most of them were, IIRC, rather general - there's one or two that relate to specific bits of cultural news that time forgot, rather than a more general nod to a popular show.

The BBC2 test card was still around until the change to digital in the early 00s, AFAIK - I certainly remember it (and as it was only late at night, I must have been a teenager), though I saw it more in the mocking of than the reality.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kevinb1994 on November 23, 2018, 09:01:32 PM
Big Bang Theory ... Young Sheldon

Appropriate entries for a thread titled "Awful shows that should have been canceled but weren't."

abefroman329

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on November 24, 2018, 05:20:55 AM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on November 23, 2018, 09:01:32 PM
Big Bang Theory ... Young Sheldon

Appropriate entries for a thread titled "Awful shows that should have been canceled but weren't."
Seconded.

abefroman329

Quote from: english si on November 24, 2018, 01:17:12 AM
Quote from: abefroman329 on November 19, 2018, 06:10:04 PMI've been trying to watch the UK version, but I know very little about Manchester specifically and the UK in general, so I don't really get all of the various references.
The references are not particularly Manchester-specific. Though as I wasn't alive in the 70s, I didn't experience them - more the echo (and so your time at Reading Uni won't have helped). And most of them were, IIRC, rather general - there's one or two that relate to specific bits of cultural news that time forgot, rather than a more general nod to a popular show
Sorry, I meant to say that I know very little about the UK in the 1970s. For example, there's a reference to Berni Inn that would have sailed over my head had I not read about it in a Brian Viner book recently.

kevinb1994

wanderer2575

It was an awful day when jumptheshark.com was sold to TV Guide and all of their pages disappeared. Plenty of shows since then missed out on well-deserved jump the shark treatment.

Agreed.  The comments and summaries were an entertaining read, and I posted a lot of comments there myself.  Why TV Guide paid any amount of money to buy it and then completely dump the contents, I'll never understand.

abefroman329

Quote from: wanderer2575 on November 24, 2018, 10:46:08 AM
It was an awful day when jumptheshark.com was sold to TV Guide and all of their pages disappeared. Plenty of shows since then missed out on well-deserved jump the shark treatment.

Agreed.  The comments and summaries were an entertaining read, and I posted a lot of comments there myself.  Why TV Guide paid any amount of money to buy it and then completely dump the contents, I'll never understand.
You two would've loved televisionwithoutpity.com, which...disappeared under mysterious circumstances.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.